Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with a Galway/Connemara break.

Options
  • 14-10-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy. I need some help planning a mid week break to Galway/Mayo. Will have two visitors from overseas who want to do the Connemara scenery thing. They have no interest in spending time in pubs, or listening to trad music. They like shopping, (especially for antiques & collectibles) art galleries, old historical houses and castles and what not.

The other half wants us to base ourselves in Westport, as it is a good jumping off spot for doing scenic driving & Westport House is there. But I am thinking Galway City. It will be a longer daily drive to Connemara, but there will be more to do in the evenings, that doesn't involve just going to the pub. You can't really say that about Westport, can you?

What kind of shopping is there in Galway City, that you can't get else where? I was in Galways City for the first time last December. I didn't really see any shops that had me mad keen to go back there. I didn't go much further than the Xmas market at Eyre Square area, so maybe they are there. Does Galway City have late night shopping on Thursdays, the way that Dublin does, or does every thing close at 5/6pm?

Also want to have some back up things to do/visit/see if the weather is too bad to do scenic drives. Other than Westport House and Kylemore Abbey, what other stately homes/castles could we visit that will still be open in late October/early November?

As for Connemara itself, does it have recognized driving routes (such as The Ring route in Kerry) to see the best scenery, or do people generally make up their own itineraries?

Thanks a mill for any advice offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is late Thursday shopping but a lot of the shops are the same UK shops as you find in any Irish city.
    If they're interested in Claddagh rings we have them :D

For a good tour of Connemara (to me anyway) go from Galway to Westport, use this route, about 3 hours but usually takes longer if you want to stop for coffe/lunch/national park.

Glenlo Abbey Hotel and Ashford Castle Hotel are both nice and not too far away if you fancy a nice cuppa tae in up-scale surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ashford Castle...that's brilliant ! That will take the sight out of their eyes. Just the kind of suggestion I was looking for. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

Connemara National Park is in Letterfrack, just up the road from Kylemore. You could climb Diamond Hill, the scenery is breathtaking particularly on a clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

why not one night in Westport, drive to Galway via Leenane (either drive to Leenane from Westport is gorgeous on a good day), then via the Inagh valley (after visiting Kylemore), then maybe Currarevagh House near Oughterard on the lake or Ross Castle near Rosscahill, both with nice grounds for a stretch.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Do you have to stay in a town? Ballynahinch Castle is just beauuuuutiful - and Clifden isn't a long drive away. You'd be in the heart of Connemara, and could do your commuting (if you really have to do the shopping thing) from there....

Someone will eventually accuse me of having share in Ballynahinch, but I really don't - I just think it's the most amazing hotel, in the most amazing location....

http://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/connemara-hotel

Also, the last time I was there I did the drive up around Lough Corrib from Ballynahinch through Maam and the Connemara national park - seriously breathtaking scenery! Not so much on the way back down to Galway, but mostly amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for the suggestions, but I get bored in those picturesque (but isolated) country hotels & I think our guests would too.

I like the buzz of staying in town or city, and having it on our doorstep to go for a mooch around after breakfast or before dinner. Dub by name. Dub by nature. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Definetly take in Kylemore Abbey, you can go from there to wesport, it is one of the most beautiful drives you will take in this country in my opinion anyhow. If you are planning on staying in Galway check out what is on in the Town Hall Theatre or the Druid they may have something on around the time you are here.

Advertisement