Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meals and snacks for a 6 month old

Options
  • 14-10-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My god daughter is now 6 months old, I was just wondering what meals or snacks would be suitable to make for her at this age or even buy, though her mother is trying to move away from the jars. Just want to do something small to help out, was thinking of maybe purée-ingredients some berries and fruits and giving putting them in little containers for her to freeze.

Basically what I'm asking is parents what would you have liked to have in the freezer or cupboard when your little one was this age. I like getting her practical things like this, I think it's of more use than some toy she is never going to play with. (She will get loads of toys when she is older). I don't have any kids myself so while I'm not clueless I didn't even know babies weren't allowed cows milk, laser why she couldn't have natural yogurt, so a bit of guidance wouldn't go astray, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd really ask the parents - or as an alternative, buy the parents the Anabel Karmel cookbook. It's chock full of recipes (you could even buy some of the ingredients for a few of the dishes to include in a little hamper).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

butter nut squash and sweet potato baked and mixed is really easy and lovely.
    Apple or pear purees or even a mix.
    Rice cakes - all my kids love them.
    from 6 months on they can usually have yogurt and milk in their cereal.
    I have no other suggestions for a 6 month old.
    I would ask the mammy if there is anything you could help with though.
    It might be she would love some time on her own so looking after the baby for a few hours could be a life saver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Like moonbeam said, apples and pears cooked down a bit. Their tummies wouldn't be able for much more yet.

We tried some other veg/fruit next, and then porridge later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

January wrote: »
    I'd really ask the parents - or as an alternative, buy the parents the Anabel Karmel cookbook. It's chock full of recipes (you could even buy some of the ingredients for a few of the dishes to include in a little hamper).

This so mammies first so she is just going by what other people tell her, baby loves her spud and carrots, she is doing fine on those. I'll pick up the cookbook thanks.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    butter nut squash and sweet potato baked and mixed is really easy and lovely.
    Apple or pear purees or even a mix.
    Rice cakes - all my kids love them.
    from 6 months on they can usually have yogurt and milk in their cereal.
    I have no other suggestions for a 6 month old.
    I would ask the mammy if there is anything you could help with though.
    It might be she would love some time on her own so looking after the baby for a few hours could be a life saver.

One of her jars was a sweet potato bake and she loved it so I will definately try that one. Her mam is interested in getting a little fruit in her diet other than mashed banana. I'll pick up some rickcakes for her, she doesn't have any teeth yet, is it still okay give her them? Ill pick up some yogurts too.

Due to my schedule I don't get too much time to take her, I love spending time with her, I only recently started a new course, once things settle down I will be happy to have her more. Planning to take her over night over midterm, that's why I want to help my friend with this, even picking up something in the shopping for her would be appreciated I know.
    pwurple wrote: »
    Like moonbeam said, apples and pears cooked down a bit. Their tummies wouldn't be able for much more yet.

We tried some other veg/fruit next, and then porridge later.

Thanks guys really helpful stuff, might make an apple and pear stew bring it over for her to freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd actually avoid too much banana in such a young baby as its very constipating. I know it's sweet and they love it but it's not so much fun when they haven't poo-ed for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Have a look at first1000days.ie - it is nutrition from conception to 2yrs old. I got so many tips including kiwi and avocado (so no cooking). And it's free - Irish chef Nevin McGuire is involved

Cannot recommend it enough. There is a lovely soup for 6 moths plus that the whole family can eat and for the soup if you don't have stock there are organic stock cubes (beginning with K I think) that are as good. Baby and mammy love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

January wrote: »

There's also a Annabel Karmel app for iPhone. It's brilliant and really handy to use when you're out shopping as it gives you a list if ingredients you'd need to wean your baby over a week say. You can also include your own shopping list on it too :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd actually avoid too much banana in such a young baby as its very constipating. I know it's sweet and they love it but it's not so much fun when they haven't poo-ed for a few days.

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thanks very much guys, really helpful stuff here!

Advertisement