Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD- Art eacher

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,
    I want to become a secondary school art teacher...
    is studying a BA in Fine Art and Education or in Design and Education in NCAD the only way to do this in Ireland? Is there any other collage to do this in Ireland?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Do you have a degree in Art & Design? Both Crawford College in Cork, and LSAD in Limerick have higher diplomas in art education, 1 year add on postgrad courses.

GMIT in Galway run one as well but I think thats more for teaching of furniture design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Busybumble1

EmmajaneF wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I want to become a secondary school art teacher...
    is studying a BA in Fine Art and Education or in Design and Education in NCAD the only way to do this in Ireland? Is there any other collage to do this in Ireland?

Thanks!

Hi.

The cheapest and quickest way ( 4 years ) is to study Art Education. I think there is three collages that offer this but check it out.

Alternatively you could study any art and design degree recognised by the teaching council to teach art.... For example visual communications / fine art. After this you would need to progress to the post grad diploma in *art* education, again only offered at art colleges . This is a longer route as you would do your degree ( 3/4 years ) and then an additional 2 years art education ( currently 1 year programme but changing to 2 in 2014) . Fees will be applicable to post grad study I think

Cheapest and quickest way is to do an art education undergrad IMO. If you go the other route be certain to check teaching council accepted degree and liaise with the art college to be sure.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Busybumble1

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Do you have a degree in Art & Design? Both Crawford College in Cork, and LSAD in Limerick have higher diplomas in art education, 1 year add on postgrad courses.

GMIT in Galway run one as well but I think thats more for teaching of furniture design.

I'm sure the post grad will be changing to two years. Check this out op

Advertisement