Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fire alarm will fit this?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just bought a house and trying to sort of a load of things. I bought a few battery smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide alarm for the room with the gas burner.

But around the house are empty alarm brackets (tenants who lived in the house for a few years previous were smokers so I'm guessing that's why they removed them).

Anyway, i would love advice as to whether there is a specific size or type of alarm I need to fit the bracket (pic attached)

Comments

I believe that they are mains powered ones, ( I believe a legal requirement is some rental accommodation).

I will move this to the electrical forum, they'll have a better chance in identifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Looks like a mains operated battery backed up unit, best bet is to buy a new one like an eterna or better, just replace the whole thing base and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks Stoner.

If I removed the base will the protruding power cable connect to the new unit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes.

The cables should serve 2 functions:
    1) They power the device.
    2) One of the cables should link all of the smoke/heat detectors together. This will mean that when one unit goes into alarm it will set the other units off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks lads. If it's a generic connection then I'll have no problem getting an alarm to fit it.

So is it a case of just removing the existing bracket, attaching the new one and plugging the new alarms in? There isn't some sort of control panel somewhere or anything like that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The norm nowadays (as a minimum) is to have one smoke detector upstairs (often on the landing) and one smoke detector downstairs (generally in the hall). If the downstairs one is too close to the kitchen there is a risk of nuisance alarms (burnt toast etc..) so many people use a heat detector. Personally I like the idea of a heat detector in the kitchen itself as this is an area of increased risk from fire.

The typical mains powered smoke or heat detector is a standalone device with no requirement for a control panel. As mentioned earlier these units can and should be interconnected so that the activation of one will cause the other to sound. Each device has its own back up battery and a status LED.

While you are at it I would reccomend installing carbon monoxide detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

2011 wrote: »
    The norm nowadays (as a minimum) is to have one smoke detector upstairs (often on the landing) and one smoke detector downstairs (generally in the hall).

the norm is 4(minimum)

the norm is 4(minimum)

Yes, you are correct the regulations are that there should be 4.

Most homes have 2, but if they were to be brought up to meet the current requiremnets they would need to have at least 4.

Advertisement