Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sad week for Irish surfing

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

I found out today that Tom from the Lahinch Surf Shop passed away yesterday.

I liked Tom he was a quite man, always helpful and approachable.
    Im only on the surfing scene a year and a half after a break of 10 year's but bought t-shirt's and jackets etc from the shop. ..

I bought most of my wetsuits from Tom and he pointed me in the right direction of the benefits of buying local.

My condolences to his family and people who are close to him

RIP Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Well said Geomy, he was a gent. Went to buy some wax last Saturday morning only to find the shop shut and the death notice pinned to the door. Very sad news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was his shop the one opposite the t-shirt printing place??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

fryup wrote: »
    was his shop the one opposite the t-shirt printing place??

Yeah that the shop alright.
    The first surf shop in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

So sad to hear that, ours thoughts are with his family.

I remember his shop being one only places to get wax back in 90's when less numbers surfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Very sad news. Tom was a gentleman and a legend. Condolences to his family and the wider surfing community that he leaves behind. I didn't know him well personally but had the pleasure of interviewing him for two documentaries I made about surfing in Clare for a local community radio station. You can hear them (and him) here: https://soundcloud.com/rcbdocumentary
    He features in both as he had such vast experience of the culture and history of Irish surfing and was so active in lobbying the local council to do the things that needed to be done (not that they did much of them). He had a particular glint in his eye when discussing big wave surfing, you could see he got a real kick out of the younger generation really pushing things. Anyway, RIP Tom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement