Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occasional PC case vibration - how to prevent?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

The removable side of my PC occasionally (regularly) starts to vibrate, caused by the HDD (or possibly the 8800GTX fan). It gets progressively louder.

I've found two solutions so far: (1) Give it a kick, and (2) remove the side altogether. Neither is ideal.

Any suggestions for preventing this vibration?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Use rubber o-rings between the screw pan heads and door to silence vibration. If the fan or HDD are causing the vibration, there are anti-vibration silicon pad kits available in accordance with your fan or HDD specs on the web. Or to save euros, you could buy a thin sheet of cushioning material, cut it to size for fan or HDD, and mount it between case and device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

You can get rubber washers / grommets to separate the hard disk/fan from the case. Or even the side panel from the case.

Not recommending this site necessarily, just the parts... Sound Dampening Link

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'll be looking at sound output more carefully for my next machine, I do some audio recording and sometimes the fans or HDD humming are picked up by the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You can also buy little variable resistors for your fans. For the most part fans don't have to run at full speed. Even knocking 20% off their speed really kills the sound from them.

Also you can get "rubber screws". They help isolate fan vibration from the case very effectively. They're not like screws at all, but they do the same job.

The rubber grommets are great for the HDD's though. Love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Khannie wrote: »
    You can also buy little variable resistors for your fans. For the most part fans don't have to run at full speed. Even knocking 20% off their speed really kills the sound from them.

Many many years ago I had software that could do this.
    Something along the lines of this...

SpeedFan Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

The problem I had with SpeedFan is that it can only really control fans that are on motherboard headers. Most of my PC's use fans connected to direct supply, so that renders it useless for a lot of people.

Rubber screws and isolators are the best solution imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

thick rubber bands around the fan (not the heat sink) will reduce vibration too... works on my pc

Advertisement