Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi button is greyed out (iPhone)

• 14-10-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi,

The wifi button on my iPhone 4S is greyed out (i.e., I can't turn it on or off). I still receive 3G. My phone has also been restarting itself once or twice a day for the last week or two. Otherwise, it is functioning normally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This happened a friend of mine and he had to get his 4S replaced by Apple (luckily it was still within warranty).

Try "reset network settings" in the general settings panel. (This didn't work for my friend's phone)

If that doesn't work, try a restore and see does that fix the problem but if not, it might need to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Thanks for the advice. I've already tried resetting network settings but that didn't help, unfortunately. System restore might be the next action, but I'd like to see if Three have any other advice first.

Focalbhach wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I've already tried resetting network settings but that didn't help, unfortunately. System restore might be the next action, but I'd like to see if Three have any other advice first.

When did you purchase the phone? If it was within 12 months, go straight to Apple & definitely not Three. If within 24 months I would still try make contact with Apple and see will they be able to cut a deal with you for a repair.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

Three should be the last resort anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

All Three will do is refer you to fonemenders aka phonebreakers who will make sure it's properly broken and then say its water damaged judging by the talk to three forum and other threads on boards about them. :pac:
    They will also void any Apple warranty as they are not an authorised repair centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Had this issue in May, iphone 4s, wifi greyed out, bluetooth not working either, on Three. Still in warranty (just).
    Tried restart, reset etc, no luck.
    Contacted Apple and they said it was a known problem, and to either exchange in Apple bar (Belfast) or they would organize an exchange.
    Went for exchange.
    If you have a Credit Card they will do an Express exchange, where they ship an identical phone out to you by UPS. When you receive the new phone you then re-package your old phone and send it back to them, so no time without phone.
    They put a hold on your credit card for the amount of the phone until they receive your old phone back.
    There is a €29 charge for this service, but if you take out Apple Care with them (for €69) they waive the €29 fee.
    Definitely would deal direct with Apple as others have stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

This happened to me! Brought it down to a Three shop near where i work and they were really unfriendly and unhelpful! Made me look like an idiot, told me to put my phone on airplane mode and do not disturb mode then turn it off for 20 mins and turn it back on again and it should work! Needless to say it didnt, I then brought it back to the three store i bought it in and they said i'll have to send it away and i'll more than likely get a new phone and it could take a week or two. I dont want to be without a phone tho, a close family member is very ill in hospital and my parents are going away for 2 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Unless you set up the repair through apple and give them a cc to put a hold of €500 on then you will be without a phone while it's sent for repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Haven't some people had joy restoring it as a new phone? Might be worth a try if you don't want to send it away, or have a hold on your credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Happened to me before also, apple had to replace the phone, did for free, had new phone in a week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79816723&postcount=5

Thanks for all the replies. To those saying to make contact with Apple - is there an email address that you used to make contact? I've tried going through the Support section of their website but when I try to schedule a call it tells me I'm not eligible for technical support, even thought my phone was bought within the last year. How did you get in touch with Apple to arrange a repair/replacement??

(I've tried restoring in the meantime as well, but got an error message with that...)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. To those saying to make contact with Apple - is there an email address that you used to make contact? I've tried going through the Support section of their website but when I try to schedule a call it tells me I'm not eligible for technical support, even thought my phone was bought within the last year. How did you get in touch with Apple to arrange a repair/replacement??

(I've tried restoring in the meantime as well, but got an error message with that...)

You're not eligible for tech support but continue on through the support section and choose issue which you believe is covered by warranty and you can arrange for them to call you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Anymore feed back on this problem? Daughter did update on her iphone4s and it restarted few times and wifi greyed out. Tried everything but nothing, then yesterday it just came back.

I bought it in NY and a mate of mine goes there regularly, he booked it in for it to be looked at in Apple. Don't know now whether or not to waste his time seeing as it came back, but have heard it can go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I've tried going through the Support section of their website but when I try to schedule a call it tells me I'm not eligible for technical support, even thought my phone was bought within the last year. How did you get in touch with Apple to arrange a repair/replacement??
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

mad m wrote: »
    Anymore feed back on this problem? Daughter did update on her iphone4s and it restarted few times and wifi greyed out. Tried everything but nothing, then yesterday it just came back.

I bought it in NY and a mate of mine goes there regularly, he booked it in for it to be looked at in Apple. Don't know now whether or not to waste his time seeing as it came back, but have heard it can go again.

I eventually managed to do a full restore - that fixed the problem for about two days and then it greyed out again. I've now booked for Apple to send out a replacement phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

My wifi button is greyed out aswell.

I've tried everything to fix this (reset network settings, restore etc).

Anyone know where I can bring this in Dublin City Centre to fix it as my iphone is out of warranty?

Thanks.

I eventually managed to do a full restore - that fixed the problem for about two days and then it greyed out again. I've now booked for Apple to send out a replacement phone.

My mate brought it back to NY store, they did a straight swop for new one. A rep said to my friend, lucky it was in warranty or I would of been charged.

Anyone know where I can bring this in Dublin City Centre to fix it as my iphone is out of warranty?

Thanks.

Is it much out of warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Sorry for jumping in here but I've been having the same issue all this week. I've contacted Apple and they're not willing to do anything only charge me 211.30 for a repair, as I'm 5 months out of warranty.

I feel it's totally unfair as this has only happened to me since upgrading to iOS 7.

I got the phone on a 24 month contract with Vodafone and understandably they cant do anything as it was not a fault of theirs. So as a result I'm now left with an iPhone with no bluetooth or wifi connectivity, that's going to cost over 200 to repair or I can buy a new phone. (which certainly won't be an iPhone)

Any help or advice please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Is it much out of warranty?

About six months :-(

• Advertisement

About six months :-(

What about quoting this

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Worth a try...

Ireland
    Start your support request online and we'll connect you to an expert.

Telephone technical support: 1800 804 062

www.apple.com/ie/support/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

OP: it's unfortunately hard to bring in EU/Irish consumer protection law with an iPhone bought in the US. I would plead goodwill with Apple, call Apple and ask for a supervisor. Argue your case and if that doesn't work, get an email address (normally supervisors are meant to give you their contact details after a call) and continue vie email.
    I got the phone on a 24 month contract with Vodafone and understandably they cant do anything as it was not a fault of theirs. So as a result I'm now left with an iPhone with no bluetooth or wifi connectivity, that's going to cost over 200 to repair or I can buy a new phone. (which certainly won't be an iPhone)

thenashlegend, you have a strong case having bought it in Ireland.

I would fight it with Vodafone as the seller. Your claim under both EU consumer protection law (2 years: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/) and the Irish Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act is with with the seller. There is no way that a smartphone purchased on a 2 year contract breaking after 1 or so years can be considered fit for the purpose intended. Vodafone are just being lazy sending you to Apple.

The claim is with Vodafone, as the seller.

For those who bought their 4S from Vodafone / on a Vodafone contract, why not raise it directly here:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

Thanks.

My iPhone is out of warranty and was bought outside of Ireland (Middle East).

Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

put it in the freezer for 20 mins (no joke)

curehead wrote: »
    put it in the freezer for 20 mins (no joke)

Did that and the wifi came back on for about 15 minutes then it was gone again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

I would like to share my experience and subsequent solution to this problem ..

Like others here, I had the greyed out wifi thing. On a recent trip to France I went into an Apple store and explained the situation. Luckily I was able to get a replacement iPhone and lo and behold, the Wifi was working again.

For two days that is ..

Yup. The problem was back. I went back to the Apple store and what we did this time was to do a back up to iCloud, set up the phone as a new phone, and then get my contacts and data back from the iCloud back up. I lost a tiny bit of app data in the process, but I have had the phone for a good while now and no problems at all..

This leads me to believe that if are doing backups with iTunes, it is copying over some small software error to the new phone.

So, back up your essential date to iCloud, NOT iTunes. I repeat, do not sync to iTunes. Restore your phone, set it up as 'new phone', then reacquire your contacts and data from the cloud.

This is obviously a serious problem on Apples behalf, as its not possible for everyone to back up to the cloud. The guy in the Apple basically said you are better off to always back up to iCloud.

Hope that helps. If not, you have a hardware failure, but by jayzus, avoid sticking your phone in the freezer.

I'll give it a go moonboy.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Have you done a hard reset ? This solved it permanently for my work colleague.

Advertisement