Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi button is greyed out (iPhone)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Piliger wrote: »
    Have you done a hard reset ? This solved it permanently for my work colleague.

I did a hard reset and it didn't work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

As a sort of follow on to previous suggestions, have you tried restoring the phone from someone else's backup? Or, have you tried getting a different sim (they're free anyway) and just seeing if it's somehow a solution. I know those might sound a bit pie-in-the-sky but at least they'd isolate the issue of whether it's particular to your backup/number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I guess you've seen this thread, but from what I can tell, this wifi issue does seem to be hardware related, at least in part.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4638071?start=330&tstart=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

brophs wrote: »
    I guess you've seen this thread, but from what I can tell, this wifi issue does seem to be hardware related, at least in part.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4638071?start=330&tstart=0

But the numbers are so low there is no solidity in the cause. Lots of the people with similar problems could be because of different causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

I'm having the same trouble. I was onto Apple support and he told me it was faulty hardware and basically tough **** I will have to pay €211 for a service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

kaiser31 wrote: »
    I'm having the same trouble. I was onto Apple support and he told me it was faulty hardware and basically tough **** I will have to pay €211 for a service

How long since you bought it?

Feb 2012

Feb 2012

If it was bought in the EU, you still have a valid warranty with the retailer of the phone.
    http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

The retailer cannot brush you off. A mobile can be very reasonably expected to last for 2 years (after all, many are sold on 2 year contracts).

embraer170 wrote: »
    If it was bought in the EU, you still have a valid warranty with the retailer of the phone.

The retailer cannot brush you off. A mobile can be very reasonably expected to last for 2 years (after all, many are sold on 2 year contracts).

Thank you, that's very interesting.

Do you know anyone who has brought it back to retailer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

very silly question but I no longer have my receipt, bought the phone in September 2012 so im 2 months out of warranty

will I have any comeback under the EU-wide consumer law without my receipt?

• Advertisement

I asked Vodafone via twitter about

And this was their reply

@VodafoneIreland: Hiya, it's not untrue, there's no conflict- Manufacturers warranty is 1 year, we look after the second. There may be charges for repairs after the first year.

I asked Vodafone via twitter about

And this was their reply

@VodafoneIreland: Hiya, it's not untrue, there's no conflict- Manufacturers warranty is 1 year, we look after the second. There may be charges for repairs after the first year.

Can you go to any Vodafone retailer (I'm Vodafone aswell)?

Will not having a receipt be a problem? I never had one as I received my iPhone as a gift

I asked her did I need proof of purchase when bringing it onto a Vodafone store and she said no.

@VodafoneIreland: Hiya, just bring your phone and that will be all you'll need :) Aoife

I would also be slow to accept any 'repair fees' within the first 2 years. A consumer should not have to pay for a manufacturing defect on an iPhone (or any other phone) in the first 2 years or even longer. The law is very clear.

I asked her did I need proof of purchase when bringing it onto a Vodafone store and she said no.

@VodafoneIreland: Hiya, just bring your phone and that will be all you'll need :) Aoife

Is that any Vodafone store or the exact one from which it was bought?

Is that any Vodafone store or the exact one from which it was bought?

Any Vodafone store.

I would also be slow to accept any 'repair fees' within the first 2 years. A consumer should not have to pay for a manufacturing defect on an iPhone (or any other phone) in the first 2 years or even longer. The law is very clear.

I agree. I'm not happy at all. I'll call into Vodafone in the morning and see what they have to say. I think I'll contact the National Consumer Agency beforehand to make sure I have all the correct information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Just a follow up on this, I had the same issue and after some persistence with Apple they sent me a new phone. Two calls later and they gave in to sending me a replacement.

Persistence is they key guys! It was their fault as it was the iOS 7 update that brought the issue to the fore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

I agree. I'm not happy at all. I'll call into Vodafone in the morning and see what they have to say. I think I'll contact the National Consumer Agency beforehand to make sure I have all the correct information.

you actually need the EU consumer law form to claim for a repair to be done under warranty for any iphone between 12 and 24 months old (asuming the phone isnt liquid or physical damaged)

very silly question but I no longer have my receipt, bought the phone in September 2012 so im 2 months out of warranty

will I have any comeback under the EU-wide consumer law without my receipt?

The network can do a search for your purchase on their system using your IMEI on your phone and re issue the receipt AFAIK

• Advertisement

neilmulvey wrote: »
    you actually need the EU consumer law form to claim for a repair to be done under warranty for any iphone between 12 and 24 months old (asuming the phone isnt liquid or physical damaged)

What's the process? Do you have a link to a form please? Do I bring it into Vodafone? Apologies for all the questions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Might be worth seeing if the 7.1 beta has improved this for anyone.

Never heard of such a form... more than anything, you need to be persistent.

What's the process? Do you have a link to a form please? Do I bring it into Vodafone? Apologies for all the questions :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

whats the process of repair when you take it to vodafone does anyone know?

I'm guessing they send it away, but how long are you without your phone etc???

whats the process of repair when you take it to vodafone does anyone know?

I'm guessing they send it away, but how long are you without your phone etc???

assuming repair centre has the stock then 5 days would be the norm

Just a follow up to this particular fault, went to a local Vodafone store and they were adamant that I will need to pay for a repair on this issue.

They never examined the phone, I just enquired and told them the issue arose when I updated to IOS 7 and there must have been a chip faulty. I didn't bring the EU consumer law document (which I will do next time) but needless to say im a little perplexed that they flat out refused any chance of a free repair.

The store quoted me a price of €245 aswell, all without taking a single look at my phone.

When I quizzed them and told them I should have coverage with the retailer for 2 years (my apple 12 month warranty was up in September of this year) she claimed this isn't the case.

Did you speak to the store manager?
    Raise the case here http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270 and if it doesn't work, register a small claims case.

It is unfortunate to have to waste time chasing companies that don't comply with straightforward Irish and EU consumer legislation.

Did you speak to the store manager?
    Raise the case here http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270 and if it doesn't work, register a small claims case.

It is unfortunate to have to waste time chasing companies that don't comply with straightforward Irish and EU consumer legislation.

raised that exact issue with vodafone on here and was told the same as I was told in store.

Before they have even looked at the phone I have been told that they can send it off to apple for a diagnostic check, but that any repairs are at my own expense.

I even quoted the EU Consumer law piece to my enquiry and basically it seems that the response from Vodafone is directly contradicting this.

I will register a small claims case absolutely. More fool me for spending the guts of €600 on an item that won't fully function after only 15 months.

I'm being fobbed off with directions to forums to software resets etc... i've done it all, hard resets, you name it.

Basically some of the chips in some these Iphone 4s models were unable to cope with the update to IOS 7 and wifi access is not possible under any circumstances once it blows.

There are a few home remedys such as putting your phone in the freezer and use of a hairdryer apparently to cool and heat part of your phone but i'm certainly not resorting to that.

• Advertisement

It seems a small claims case is the online way forward.

Out of interest, do you have a link to the VF response on their forum?

Advertisement