Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The USC Charge - Will it be there forever?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

With the Budget tomorrow and more cuts/ taxes being imposed but the exit from the bailout in two months for Ireland being the good boy in the classroom here is a question...

Will the USC charge ever be terminated??

This highly visible tax in everyone's pay packet is crippling and is having a severe impact and long reaching consequences on peoples lives. I mean earn just over €10K and you are liable!

I feel it will be there forever because the Government couldn't function without this large chunk of cash.

It has been reported elsewhere that €4Billion will be paid through the USC charge this year! 2011 - €3.1B and in 2012 €3.8B...Staggering

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

That's the Dail's drinking fund

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

PRSI was a temporary measure too...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It is basically "the tab" - seen as "we all partied"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Cant see it ever going away, people bave paid it, moaned yes, but paid it anyway and just got on with it.

Its a nasty tax but i cannot see them ever scrapping it unfortunately! If they focused on reforming sections of this country for the sake of this country, regardless of how popular they will be after it, nobody could argue with them, would also mean less taxes, cant tax forever to make up the gap with expenditure!

People paid with their lives for this country to put these idiots in the position they are in now a days, i think its only right all of our politicians start taking the tough reforms on and changing ireland for the better, and if they pay with less votes so be it!

Cant see them doing that though either, welcome to ireland 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id say the window tax was the only one ever dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Exactly PRSI meant to be short term and still here.

It is so demoralising to see the amount taken out in USC charge in your pay packet.

I reckon 25% of my wages has gone out in USC PAYE and PRSI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Wasn't VRT suppose to be temporary as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

More people in Ireland are employed in the domestic tourism industry than by multi nationals. Yet the 12.5% corporation tax is a sacred cow which almost all political parties refuse to consider increasing.
    Tomorrow the vat rate on our tourism industry will be increased despite the creation of 15,000 jobs in the sector as a result of the imitative.

Corporate profits have escaped any charge on their profits despite the application of a "universal" social charge on the incomes of all citizens.

Why are ordinary Irish workers continuing to subsidise the multi million euro profits of multi national corporations which are largely repatriated to their already wealthy shareholders.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

delw wrote: »
    Wasn't VRT suppose to be temporary as well?

No. It was to replace excise duty on new vehicles, which the EU banned. VRT was just a tax made up to keep the revenue from new cars to the wasters in the dail pumping the pump in the parish.

They will never get rid of the USC. We didn't pay enough tax to run the country. Removing it would require even more cuts in spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    More people in Ireland are employed in the domestic tourism industry than by multi nationals. Yet the 12.5% corporation tax is a sacred cow which almost all political parties refuse to consider increasing.
    Tomorrow the vat rate on our tourism industry will be increased despite the creation of 15,000 jobs in the sector as a result of the imitative.

Corporate profits have escaped any charge on their profits despite the application of a "universal" social charge on the incomes of all citizens.

Why are ordinary Irish workers continuing to subsidise the multi million euro profits of multi national corporations which are largely repatriated to their already wealthy shareholders.

€4 extra on a €100 bill isn't going to kill tourism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Will the USC charge ever be eliminated?

Not the Universal Social Charge charge!!! And, no. Sure we're still paying pay related PRSI insurance, which is a tax in all but name anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Del2005 wrote: »

I disagree with you. It will mean a 50% increase in vat bills for small struggling tourism providers. Say I have a tourism business with a turnover of 100,000. My vat liability at 9% is €8256 but at 13.5% is €11,894. Where do you think businesses are going to find this extra 50%? They cannot increase prices so they will either go to the wall or lay off staff.

Vat on tourism has been decreased in Germany Switzerland France and many other countries to increase employment and in Ireland we are increasing it by 50%.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

It'll be here for a good few years anyway. USC takes just marginally less revenue per year than corporation tax, believe it or not! So the government aren't going to give that up! It catches lower income people who were exempt under employment tax bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Regarding vat increase tomorrow I have very little sympathy for vintners and hotel owners tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Moonbeam wrote: »
    PRSI was a temporary measure too...

As was income tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NoClues

In fairness a lot more people would join the dole queues if our corporation tax was hiked. As a country, we have feck all else to offer foreign multinationals who set up here. Germany already have their eyes very sharply focused on our corporation tax, and it's not for the good of our country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I remember earning 15k in old punts and paying 46% tax!

BOHtox wrote: »
    As was income tax...

I have no problem with income tax, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I have no problem with income tax, tbh.

Fair enough.

The main point was originally is that all taxation was temporary or for a temporary means but society, whether it was through greed or for the betterment of society and I do believe both occurred, has come to terms with an ever increasing amount of taxation

BOHtox wrote: »
    Fair enough.

The main point was originally is that all taxation was temporary or for a temporary means but society, whether it was through greed or for the betterment of society and I do believe both occurred, has come to terms with an ever increasing amount of taxation

Well, I don't agree with ALL taxation being temporary myself. I mean, those roads, schools and hospitals won't pay for themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Del2005 wrote: »
    You really don't get how careful with money many Tourists are. There's a psychological impact of €103.99 over €99.00.

Also, USC, will it be there forever? Probably, but chances are it will slowly creep up in size. Low tax economy? Who started that joke off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that the USC tax simply replaced two previous levies - it is not an extra tax.

the Health levy
    the Income levy

Some people who didn't pay the previous levies do have to pay USC, yes that's true, as it has a broader base.

So most people (not all) do not pay any more due to the USC, they pay more or less the same as they previously paid in the two levies.

Some people may even pay less in USC than the two previous levies.

Most people think that it is a new tax.

It is, in some sense, as the name is new, but it simply replaced two previous levies.

See section 3.6.4 here:

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/.../ecp502_en.pdf

"The Universal Social Charge, like any tax increase, was not welcomed by the public.
    Taxpayers experienced a drop in net income in Budget 2011. Many people thought the USC
    was the reason for the reduction in their net income. This was not the case for many
    taxpayers.

The reason many income earners saw reductions in their net income was due to the
    reduction in income tax credits and bands that also occurred in Budget 2011. Most taxpayers
    earning over €26,000 per annum would have benefited from the introduction of the USC all
    other things being equal; particularly those earning between €26,000 and €35,000 who had
    been suffering disproportionately from the sudden impact of the 4% Health Levy.

While many income earners would be better off under the USC than the Income Levy and
    Health Levy combined, there are a significant number who will pay more tax as a result of
    the introduction of the USC. This is due to the fact that there were many exemptions from the
    Income Levy and Health Levy. The entry points to paying these charges were relatively high
    and the numbers of exempt individuals were also high. For example, only 989,000 income
    earners paid the Health Levy – this is less than half the total number of income earners on the
    tax record and was due to the high exemption threshold to the levy as well as the different
    types of income and income earners that were exempted from the levy."

To answer the question - it should not be here forever, it makes the tax system too complex, it should be abolished, and integrated with income tax and/or PRSI.

Geuze wrote: »
    Note that the USC tax simply replaced two previous levies - it is not an extra tax.

the Health levy
    the Income levy

Some people who didn't pay the previous levies do have to pay USC, yes that's true, as it has a broader base.

So most people (not all) do not pay any more due to the USC, they pay more or less the same as they previously paid in the two levies.

Some people may even pay less in USC than the two previous levies.

Most people think that it is a new tax.

It is, in some sense, as the name is new, but it simply replaced two previous levies.

Yes two previous Levies that didn't exist until the Banking crisis. We are all paying €4B more in tax than 5 years ago and as other posters have said it will increase

Geuze wrote: »
    To answer the question - it should not be here forever, it makes the tax system too complex, it should be abolished, and integrated with income tax and/or PRSI.

So you are saying keep the % taken out high but make it easier for the number crunchers to work out the payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I disagree with you. It will mean a 50% increase in vat bills for small struggling tourism providers. Say I have a tourism business with a turnover of 100,000. My vat liability at 9% is €8256 but at 13.5% is €11,894. Where do you think businesses are going to find this extra 50%? They cannot increase prices so they will either go to the wall or lay off staff.

The business will have collected the VAT already from the consumer, you will only be paying the revenue what you have already collected!

The issue is the customer still using the service in the first place as a result of the overall price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they'll get rid of it in Budget 2016 to try buy the election, FF style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cant see it ever going away, people have paid it, moaned yes, but paid it anyway and just got on with it.

We don't have a choice but to be put out by it. It's taken from me before I get paid. How in the heck can you say "but paid it anyway?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'll answer the question posed in the OP when I investigative why a pig has just flown past my window.

Advertisement