Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lever action rifles .22

Options
  • 15-10-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Has anyone any advice on buying a .22 lever action rifle, past or present experiences. Also any recommendation on what make to buy..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=005B&cid=024&tid=101

One of the nicer one's I have shot is the Browning BL-22. Takes a scope pretty well too. Lots of choices, I would also look at Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

Do you know what dealer sells Henry's in Ireland..?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Lad I had a Henry and it was good for nothing other than the novelty. Useless for vermin or small game hunting. It just wasnt accurate enough. I think I tried absolutely every type of .22 ammo in it ad it shot terrible with everything. Maybe a 3 inch group at 70 yards or less - with scope. It could have been just a bad gun but it was enough to put me off them for life. I believe the Marlin's are supposed to be great !

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

I have heard a lot of good things about the marlin 39a but the one I like seems to be very hard to find.. I have a marlin .17hmr already and it's a lovely rifle..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Only lever action .22 I've shot is a BL22 and it was great fun. Decent trigger, light, short and handy. I never shot it for accuracy off a bag or anything but it handled well in various positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Apart from the rare Browning BLR, your choices are now minimal for a new gun. Henry tend to be hit-and-miss in the quality/accuracy departments - we have a couple in our club - one looks gorgeous and shoots like a 12g, the other is rougher and shoots very well, but nothing exciting.

Marlin and Winchester are now history and latterly Marlin quality went down the tubes. The club secretary's brand-new 357/38 spe has had repeated failures of the loading latch and trigger springs to the point where he can only use it as a single-loader/single shot.

On the other hand, my Model 39A, bought from a local gunstore in 1959, refuses to either die or even lose accuracy, so I'd venture that a second-hand OLD Marlin like this might do the trick for you.

Rossi of Brazil are sold here in the UK, but I don't know of any dealer in RoI, but they have all had a common features - beautiful woodwork [those Brazilian rain forests, y'know], great fit and finish, and great value for money. There are a good few of them sprinkled around our club in numerous calibres from .22 up to .44Mag - rifles and carbines, round and octagonal barrels, blued and stainless.

Look 'em up and see.

tac

PS - I've just been reminded by mrs tac that Uberti also makes an underlever in .22, but it is RARE and costy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

My first rifle was a marlin 39a and i really liked it, i haven't many on dealers shelves though, might be hard to find one. The browning lever rifles always struck me as higher quality than the rest, nice wood , lovely bluing and very well built. The henrys don't seem too good quality-wise to me. Best bet imho would be the browning.

One more key point, at risk of stating the obvious, and it may or may not be practical given the lack of availability. If possible you should handle, point and work the action on the rifle in addition to other research.

Of the main types mentioned here, I frankly don't think you would be disappointed in the handling department.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone on here imported a used rifle from UK or USA?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

blue5000 wrote: »

Im very tempted and would like to know this too. Im looking for a particular .223 , but the dealers that are within reasonable driving distance of me just dont want to know. They only want to shift what they have on the shelves first and Ardee arent importing Tikkas and Milbro wont have Savages in until April.I may have to go about importing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

blue5000 wrote: »

Yes I have. I bought a rifle in the uk while on holiday. The dealer i bought from couldn't export to ireland so i had to get it shipped to a dealer in the north and then on to me. It was still an easy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Any of the legal expurts on here know if the classification of rim fires as restricted on account of magazine capacity applies to lever action rifles, or is it just semi-autos?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

SI 21/2008

4(c)(ii) wrote:
    single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds

So not matter the action type if it's rimfire it cannot have a mag capable of holding more than 10 rounds or it's classed as a restricted firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement