Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hopefully someone can summarize all this at the end, can't keep up with it atm.

Something about medical card and cuts now.. means tested?
    Doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Not until midnight. They'll be getting the pints in early.

The more you drink tonight before midnight, the more you save.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is that just the money to pay for job bridge?

Yep, €50 a week and with no normal jobs for unemployed being offered, sure it all adds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

John Mason wrote: »
    maternity benefit being reduced to 230e what is it at now?

Around €260.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mad that the children's allowance is left untouched again. How hard would it be to means test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

MadsL wrote: »
    Errrrr......mortgage forgiveness on the horizon?

Nah, Repossessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mad that the children's allowance is left untouched again. How hard would it be to means test?

Well you see, we can't let the government be treated as common folk. Means testing them would be wrong.

Is that just the money to pay for job bridge?

Je n'est c'est pas. Knowing that Fine Gael and progression don't mix it probably will largely go towards that. Also don't know what timescale it's for, possible a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Anyone wrote: »
    The more you drink tonight before midnight, the more you save.

I like your logic im off to save a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Harder to get elected after touching it, so they don't go near it with a barge pole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not hard if done correctly. Make it an opt-in system for people under a certain income threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

lila44 wrote: »
    I see, so my housemate is turning 25 next year, will he get €144 or €188?

If I heard him correctly, he said that people who turn 25 after the 31st of December won't qualify for an increase in their social welfare so it looks like your housemate is out of luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Harder to get elected after touching it, so they don't go near it with a barge pole.

The system provided to means test + public sector = fluster cuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Akrasia wrote: »
    Let the Bears pay the bear tax. I pay the homer tax.

thats the homeowner tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

is the free gp care for under 5's in?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think the supermarkets up North must have thrown a few boob by way of the baldy with the Wine and Beer increases

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

copeyhagen wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Why is Bernard O Shea giving a speech in the Dail?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

copeyhagen wrote: »

GP card essentially, no other costs covered but the standard visit charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

John Mason wrote: »
    maternity benefit being reduced to 230e what is it at now? when is this going to kick in?

also the 6 days sick leave, when will this kick in?

It had been based on previous income up until now. Some people only got €217 while some got up to €262. So the lowest earners will actually be better off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Akrasia wrote: »
    If I heard him correctly, he said that people who turn 25 after the 31st of December won't qualify for an increase in their social welfare so it looks like your housemate is out of luck

Are the people that are under 25 now that are already on 188 cut down to 144 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Supercell wrote: »
    I think the supermarkets up North must have thrown a few boob by way of the baldy with the Wine and Beer increases

Unless you live right on the boarder there is no real saving to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Did McGrath just namecheck the previous FF Government as being a positive factor in terms of the recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah down to €144, unless you have got it already.

I'm 21, turn 22 next month. I'm already on Jobseekers. So will mine go up to 144 as previously scheduled when I'm 22 or do I stay on 100 until I'm 24? I've not heard anything clear on this.

I've tuned out. I refuse to listen to Fianna Fail, they should be barred from talking, you know each and every time they talk it's a load of ****, no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Its amazing the Dail is always full on budget day and then be near empty on every other day

Should there be a rule of 100% attendance brought in,like these lads and lassies are getting paid well enough and should be all there everyday

In fairness, if they attended the Dail for every sitting, they would have no time for anything else.

Some people are under the impression when TD's arn't in the Dail, they are off having a spot of golf.

When a TD is not in Dail, they are in their constituents office, dealing with the residents of the area, all day, every day. Also on top of attending and overseeing local debates and information evenings.

TD's attend major bill's and motions, and then attend those that their constituents pretty much indicate a care in. For example someone like Stephen Donnelly will attend and also provide input into the likes of mortgage arrears because its one of the main things his votes come to speak to him about, where as he would more then likely not attend something like a "legalise weed" discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Did ye see how much Michael Noonan's hands were shaking while reading it all out? It was like he was a schoolkid reading it with an angry teacher breathing down his neck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Free education in Ireland....yeah right

'The student contribution charge for third-level institutions will increase by €250 to €2,750. Education Minister Ruairi Quinn announced the charge would increase by €250 until it reached €3,000 in 2015.'

€3,000 =/= Free

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness, if they attended the Dail for every sitting, they would have no time for anything else.

Some people are under the impression when TD's arn't in the Dail, they are off having a spot of golf.

When a TD is not in Dail, they are in their constituents office, dealing with the residents of the area, all day, every day. Also on top of attending and overseeing local debates and information evenings.

TD's attend major bill's and motions, and then attend those that their constituents pretty much indicate a care in. For example someone like Stephen Donnelly will attend and also provide input into the likes of mortgage arrears because its one of the main things his votes come to speak to him about, where as he would more then likely not attend something like a "legalise weed" discussion.

Makes no difference anyway given the whip system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

SeaFields wrote: »
    He shouldnt need to. They are adults...apparently.

Should have a zero tolerance policy for heckling on budget day

Advertisement