Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Just like Tesco's slogan "The Truth Hurts" says Michael Mcgrath.

Tesco need to come up with a nicer slogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

As a parent of two under 5 year olds, I'm just curious about this free gp care.

Surely this could be open to abuse? Book Tommy an app with the Dr, get doctor to give me 'a bit of advice' on something that's been niggling me for a bit while I'm in there.

All free under Tommys check up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ferike1 wrote: »
    Free education in Ireland....yeah right

'The student contribution charge for third-level institutions will increase by €250 to €2,750. Education Minister Ruairi Quinn announced the charge would increase by €250 until it reached €3,000 in 2015.'

€3,000 =/= Free

Is that per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

10c increase on tobacco? I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Yes no change on the cost of fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I'm 21, turn 22 next month. I'm already on Jobseekers. So will mine go up to 144 as previously scheduled when I'm 22 or do I stay on 100 until I'm 24? I've not heard anything clear on this.

No you will stay on €100 till your 23, then you will be on 144 till you are 26, with any hope you will be off it by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also means testing, its such a stupid buzz word when people speak of taxation and benefits.

Means testing is a massive expense and uptaking by the department of social welfare. There is no inter-departmental communications or databases, something being lobbied for a long time. With an inter-departmental database, the department of social welfare can access your PRSI and P(x) certificates from Revenue to identify your income and then simply identify who would be eligible for this benefit and that.

Until a cross departmental database and process is brought into place, you can literally forget about any of that talk abuot certain level of thresholds not getting childrens allowance etc. It's kept standardised because its simpler and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

If that letter is legit... Thats pretty scandalous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Is that per year?

It's the yearly registration fee.

Makes no difference anyway given the whip system.

100% agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So if I'm on 25 and getting the 188 now but won't be 26 till next year, what'll happen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also means testing, its such a stupid buzz word when people speak of taxation and benefits.

Means testing is a massive expense and uptaking by the department of social welfare. There is no inter-departmental communications or databases, something being lobbied for a long time. With an inter-departmental database, the department of social welfare can access your PRSI and P(x) certificates from Revenue to identify your income and then simply identify who would be eligible for this benefit and that.

Until a cross departmental database and process is brought into place, you can literally forget about any of that talk abuot certain level of thresholds not getting childrens allowance etc. It's kept standardised because its simpler and cheaper.

The UK self assessment system avoids all those problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

vitani wrote: »
    It had been based on previous income up until now. Some people only got €217 while some got up to €262. So the lowest earners will actually be better off.

Is that just for the first 12 months or is it longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cool now we can watch them bickering in HD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Xenji wrote: »
    No you will stay on €100 till your 23, then you will be on 144 till you are 26, with any hope you will be off it by then.

God I hope so. With any luck I'll never have to get that 144

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

As a parent of two under 5 year olds, I'm just curious about this free gp care.

Surely this could be open to abuse? Book Tommy an app with the Dr, get doctor to give me 'a bit of advice' on something that's been niggling me for a bit while I'm in there.

All free under Tommys check up.

doubt it, my gf is 8 months pregnant, was at dr for regular maternity check, which is free, and asked him to take a look at something that wasnt maternity related... he told her he would have to charge the 50e to look at it! i suppose it depends on the doctor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Get ready for the cuts everybody, the departments will be sending out their individual cutback reports in the next few minutes.

As I said, the devil is in the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

As I said, the devil is in the details.

Why do you have to drag me into this?

I was doing so well hiding underground.

On topic : where's the nearest news feed to this so I can read this whilst working like a boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So if I'm on 25 and getting the 188 now but won't be 26 till next year, what'll happen?

Nothing, you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Nemeses wrote: »
    On topic : where's the nearest news feed to this so I can read this whilst working like a boss :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1015/480529-budget-live-two/
    Works for me, few people linked it for me in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

naughtb4 wrote: »
    ......whos taxes are paying for the free care. Schemes like this should be available for all, we need to give incentives for people to earn more, not look to take things away

The middle and low incomes need it most. They pay their taxes. I am glad they are getting this much.
    Nearly 50% of all children under five have medical cards as it is. Thankfully the most needy children already have a medical card, however unfortunately the government will take the cards from the elderly that are in need.

To be expected from FG, but shame on Labour.
    I have under 250 a week and no medical cards for my kids, one 5 in Feb and one 12 weeks. I am grateful she at least will have healthcare.

The medical cards thing is a disgrace. Most older people have health issues, could they afford health care without it?

I foresee the grey army on the streets again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1015/480529-budget-live-two/
    Works for me, few people linked it for me in here.

That will do nicely sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

TheDoc wrote: »

That's never going to happen. Far too many barriers in terms of departments being overly precious about data and how it is shared. I have seen it first hand myself.

The amount of money government departments put into single, siloed systems is frightening. Their unwillingness to work together is beyond frightening. Absolutely no joined up thinking whatsoever. And it will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

2 million people have medical cards. Is there anybody not eligible for the things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

copeyhagen wrote: »
    doubt it, my gf is 8 months pregnant, was at dr for regular maternity check, which is free, and asked him to take a look at something that wasnt maternity related... he told her he would have to charge the 50e to look at it! i suppose it depends on the doctor.

I think you're right. Our gp has definitely did this before. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The medical cards thing is a disgrace. Most older people have health issues, could they afford health care without it?

Lots can, lots can't.

As posted above, 2 million medical cards out there practically means we have free health care in Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

2 million people have medical cards. Is there anybody not eligible for the things?

I'm not.

Such a status symbol.

Not having a medical card is the new D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

me apparently. I've been denied 6 times even though unemployed with 2 young children.

keith16 wrote: »
    That's never going to happen. Far too many barriers in terms of departments being overly precious about data and how it is shared. I have seen it first hand myself.

The amount of money government departments put into single, siloed systems is frightening. Their unwillingness to work together is beyond frightening. Absolutely no joined up thinking whatsoever. And it will never change.

Agreed.

But until it does happen, we will constantly spunk fat bean per annum on wasted administration.

Needs a government with ministers who ditch that rubbish of silo'd departments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

My parents are not. Both in 50's, one works, other does not.

Advertisement