Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Here comes the opposition speeches, that were written most likely yesterday lunchtime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

So im trying to keep track of this thread, can someone let me know if ive the following correct?

Income tax and USC - no increase?
    Petro - no increase?
    Beer - 10 cent increase?
    Motor tax - any increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 anthonyross

im 24 now and im getting 188 but i will be 25 in january next year are my getting cut?and if so is it from next week on thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just like Tesco's slogan "The Truth Hurts" says Michael Mcgrath.

Tesco need to come up with a nicer slogan.

I think he said "Every little hurts"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ugh more cuts to the disabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

im 24 now and im getting 188 but i will be 25 in january next year are my getting cut?and if so is it from next week on thanks
    Since you have it already no. And all welfare changes are usually effective as of the 1st of Jan.

So im trying to keep track of this thread, can someone let me know if ive the following correct?

Income tax and USC - no increase?
    Correct
    Petro - no increase?
    Yup
    Beer - 10 cent increase?
    Yes, smokes too
    Motor tax - any increase?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I have under 250 a week and no medical cards for my kids, one 5 in Feb and one 12 weeks. I am grateful she at least will have healthcare.

The medical cards thing is a disgrace. Most older people have health issues, could they afford health care without it?

I foresee the grey army on the streets again!

Why are you having kids then if you cant afford it? Do people just expect the state (every other taxpayer) to pick up the slack? Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession but too many people just decide to have a family without thinking through the financial consequences, then all of a sudden its everyones else's problem. The NHS costs a fortune in the UK and unless the Irish are prepared to cough up a similar amount every month to pay for a similar system then people will just have to make do unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Any changes to the drugs payment scheme?

Yep. Gilligan will be collecting it in person again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Playboy wrote: »
    Why are you having kids then if you cant afford it? Do people just expect the state (every other taxpayer) to pick up the slack? Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession but too many people just decide to have a family without thinking through the financial consequences, then all of a sudden its everyones else's problem. The NHS costs a fortune in the UK and unless the Irish are prepared to cough up a similar amount every month to pay for a similar system then people will just have to make do unfortunately.

Well, I doubt she had kids for the sole purpose of f**king over the taxpayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

TheDoc wrote: »
    Correct

Yup

Yes, smokes too

No

Cheers thanks, at least i wont get hammered by those this year. Now to read up on the cuts and find out the bad news from that!

• Site Banned Posts: 3 ford_owner

The middle and low incomes need it most. They pay their taxes. I am glad they are getting this much.

I have under 250 a week and no medical cards for my kids, one 5 in Feb and one 12 weeks. I am grateful she at least will have healthcare.

The medical cards thing is a disgrace. Most older people have health issues, could they afford health care without it?

your a chump , the medical card threshold has simply been lowered for the wealthy seventy year old plus group

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They're only being abolished for OAPs who earn under €500 a week.

I sincerely hope the government doesn't back down to the grey army this time. They need to take a hit just like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Maybe they could afford them. You know, before the banks and previous govt fcuked the economy up resulting in hundreds of thousands of job losses?

Ignorant post tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

why is it a disgrace?

any over 70 OAP couple with income of 45k or less gets a medical card

any single over 70 OAP with income of less than 25k gets a medical card

I had a job when I had no1, daddy is nearly finished college with a new degree so he should find employment within a few weeks of graduating in 2014. My 2nd was a shock, not at all planned. I agree the children not work is a disgraceful way to be, and sadly there are too many doing it, but I guarantee you. I am not one of them. Maybe if I got a med card I could get the free IUD and make sure there are no more :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Maybe they could afford them. You know, before the banks and previous govt fcuked the economy up.?

Ignorant post tbh.

In fairness, it was said that the kid was 12 weeks old.

Not that I'm necessarily in agreement with the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Riskymove wrote: »
    why is it a disgrace?

And the ones that don't qualify still get their GP visit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

thejournal.ie appears to have collapsed under the weight of its own crap.

Well that's a win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

nuff said:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

why is it a disgrace?

reminds me of the uneducated southern hicks in America who vote republican unconditionally

no health insurance yet always at the ready to take a tax hike so Donald trump doesn't have to

anyone who subscribes to the slogan that all pensioners are inherently poverty stricken is a chump

Yeah not really sure why the OAP cuts are being blown out of proportion.

Don't forget private pension takers are also entitled to state pension.

I think the most outragous thing this budget is the under 25's cut to dole. The government cannot expect parents to continue to look after their children at 18yrs +. This is an inadverted hit to pretty much every household that has a child between 18-24. And despite the spin being put from all angles,there isn't jobs falling out of trees for graduates.

These guys don't go college for 3-5 years, to come out and get a job in a call centre or clothes shop. It's a constant false fact that jobs are available for graduates. Job yes, jobs in the field they have spent up to 5 years studying for, no.

why is it a disgrace?

I agree there are wealthy OAP's that can afford it, however they are taking cards off needy people under 70, so they will do it over 70!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Are people going to be out protesting now? It's really going to disrupt my journey home from work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Ugh more cuts to the disabled

How were they hit?

Notice how the handicaps in the dáil aren't touching themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

They're only being abolished for OAPs who earn under €500 a week.

I sincerely hope the government doesn't back down to the grey army this time. They need to take a hit just like the rest of us.

if they do back down , any little faith I ever had in this country growing up will evaporate , pensioners are spoiled beyond belief in Ireland , I spend nothing as I know for certain I will need all the money I can get when im too old too work , their will be no state pension worth talking about in forty years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

In fairness, it was said that the kid was 12 weeks old.

Not that I'm necessarily in agreement with the post.

Even at that. Either partner could have lost a job during the pregnancy or in the last 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Well, I doubt she had kids for the sole purpose of f**king over the taxpayers.

No probably not but plenty of families out there think they can just pop out a few sprogs and worry about the cost of them later. PArents have a responsibility to pay for their children, taxpayers dont.
    Maybe they could afford them. You know, before the banks and previous govt fcuked the economy up resulting in hundreds of thousands of job losses?

Ignorant post tbh.

If you read my post i did say "Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession". So could you please point out what is ignorant about my post. Seems like lots of people work hard and save and wait till they can afford children while others just seem to breed away and then complain they dont get subsidised childcare or health for their kids. it's ridiculous tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How were they did?

Notice how the handicaps in the dáil aren't touching themselves.

huehuehue

Advertisement