Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I agree there are wealthy OAP's that can afford it, however they are taking cards off needy people under 70, so they will do it over 70!

Agreed, medical cards are being taken from people over the age of 70 who genuinely need them in order to give medical cards to children under the age of five who's parents could be well off. Nearly 50% of children under five have a medical card as it is.

Means testing for the elderly, but no means test for the parents of those with children under five years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Playboy wrote: »
    No probably not but plenty of families out there think they can just pop out a few sprogs and worry about the cost of them later. PArents have a responsibility to pay for their children, taxpayers dont.

So what the Hell are you going on at her over it for? You have no idea of her situation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Mr Shatter said we will see new student gardaí entering the Garda College in Templemore in 2014 - the first since the previous government stopped recruitment in 2009."

This certainly good news. About time we have more people in the force!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Any mention of PRSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

im 24 now and im getting 188 but i will be 25 in january next year are my getting cut?and if so is it from next week on thanks

You will be cut down to €144.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Any mention of PRSI?

No change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

If you read my post i did say "Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession". So could you please point out what is ignorant about my post. Seems like lots of people work hard and save and wait till they can afford children while others just seem to breed away and then complain they dont get subsidised childcare or health for their kids. it's ridiculous tbh.

This bit.
    Why are you having kids then if you cant afford it? Do people just expect the state (every other taxpayer) to pick up the slack? 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Agreed, medical cards are being taken from people over the age of 70 who genuinely need them in order to give medical cards to children under the age of five who's parents could be well off. Nearly 50% of children under five have a medical card as it is.

Means testing for the elderly, but no means test for the parents of those with children under five years of age.

I agree its a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul but just to clarify:

its not medical cards for under 5s - just free GP visit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nemeses wrote: »
    This certainly good news. About time we have more people in the force!

Don't think they really had a choice on that score, considering how many Gardai are heading towards retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Are people going to be out protesting now? It's really going to disrupt my journey home from work :(

Seems that way, looking on a few of the Facebook pages some morons advocating for more of the same as last time, with blocking roads.

Guarda warning this morning indicated anyone intentionally disrupting traffic or attempting to disrupt traffic will be arrested. Hopefully a deterant, town is crawling with Gardaí

• Advertisement

I have a feeling the same person has been writing the budget speeches for the ministers for the last fifteen years. Anyway they always do a great job of reading the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Since you have it already no. And all welfare changes are usually effective as of the 1st of Jan.

That is not quite right, to get people on the new band they are doing it by age, so if you are 25 after the 1st of January you will be on the new rate regardless if you are a new applicant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well, I doubt she had kids for the sole purpose of f**king over the taxpayers.

Of course I did, it is what I aimed to do since I was 12yo! :rolleyes:

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone on the dole has been there since they turned 18, but some enjoy generalising for the sake of justifying their beliefs.
    ford_owner wrote: »
    your a chump , the medical card threshold has simply been lowered for the wealthy seventy year old plus group
    They are taking them off the disabled, so will they be fair with them too?
    They're only being abolished for OAPs who earn under €500 a week.

I sincerely hope the government doesn't back down to the grey army this time. They need to take a hit just like the rest of us.
    I assume you mean over 500? I think everyone should have some cuts, no one should be held above anyone else!
    In fairness, it was said that the kid was 12 weeks old.

Not that I'm necessarily in agreement with the post.
    How is my daughters age relevant, condom failed. It happens. She wasn't planned and daddy will be back in the workforce in 2014, with a good, taxable career!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Don't think they really had a choice on that score, considering how many Gardai are heading towards retirement!

its inevitable across the board

I saw a report that the average age in some Departments was approaching 50 and there were no employees under 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

This is also true.
    But with all the closure of the Gardai stations around the country...Where are the new recruits going to be based I wonder?

Still, Its a small sign of some positivity from this dreaded budget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

So what the Hell are you going on at her over it for? You have no idea of her situation at all.

? I'm not going on at her.. i made one comment then discussed that with others. I did add a disclaimer to my comment. However if you think that a country with no national health service providing nearly half the population with free healthcare is ok then fire away... i can see how we got in the mess we are in. People pay an enormous amount every month from their salaries to pay for the nhs, Ireland doesnt fund the health service in the same way so people need to get real and stop expecting medical cards for one and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think it's great.

Let's never forget what those ***** did to this country.

that might be true.
    But it's up to the people to do that. These boys are paid to deliver the budget and move ireland forward , wasting their their effort on cheap digs is in our best interest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How is my daughters age relevant, condom failed. It happens. She wasn't planned and daddy will be back in the workforce in 2014, with a good, taxable career!

It was only relevant to Banjo String's point. I don't have an issue with your situation, not that it's any of my business anyway. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No probably not but plenty of families out there think they can just pop out a few sprogs and worry about the cost of them later. PArents have a responsibility to pay for their children, taxpayers dont.

If you read my post i did say "Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession". So could you please point out what is ignorant about my post. Seems like lots of people work hard and save and wait till they can afford children while others just seem to breed away and then complain they dont get subsidised childcare or health for their kids. it's ridiculous tbh.

What's ridiculous is you made unsubstantiated claims that she did that very thing. FFS

This bit.

:confused: not able to read whole paragraphs are we?

• Advertisement

? I'm not going on at her.. i made one comment then discussed that with others. I did add a disclaimer to my comment. However if you think that a country with no national health service providing nearly half the population with free healthcare is ok then fire away... i can see how we got in the mess we are in. People pay an enormous amount every month from their salaries to pay for the nhs, Ireland doesnt fund the health service in the same way so people need to get real and stop expecting medical cards for one and all.

But you singled her out? You decided that she must not be able to afford them so she shouldn't have them (Fair enough) but you assumed she knew she'd be in the deep end of no money land and still wanted to have kids
    See:
    Why are you having kids then if you cant afford it? Do people just expect the state (every other taxpayer) to pick up the slack? Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession but too many people just decide to have a family without thinking through the financial consequences, then all of a sudden its everyones else's problem. The NHS costs a fortune in the UK and unless the Irish are prepared to cough up a similar amount every month to pay for a similar system then people will just have to make do unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Riskymove wrote: »
    its inevitable across the board

I saw a report that the average age in some Departments was approaching 50 and there were no employees under 30

Yeah, that's a fact that will likely come back and bite us in a few years. There's going to be a massive gap between the availability of senior positions and the number of those qualified to fill them.

Still though, at least it seems like they're starting to face into the problem rather than keep kicking that can down the road.

What's ridiculous is you made unsubstantiated claims that she did that very thing. FFS

no I didnt.. have people got problems with ther english language? I said others not her specifically. I added a dsiclaimer to my comment that "Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession". Can we not not talk generally about an issue?

no I didnt.. have people got problems with ther english language? I said others not her specifically. I added a dsiclaimer to my comment that "Fair enough if you had a decent income and then got hit by the recession". Can we not not talk generally about an issue?

But the issue you assumed she did then decided to add your disclaimer.

That's pretty much screaming at someone and then adding in "ah but if you have an excuse it's okay".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Health and education are essential to ensure a good future workforce. Subsidized childcare is needed to keep low income parents in the workforce and off the live register. That is common sense. If you are going to complain, do so about the ridiculous things people apply for from the taxpayer, like 2 free buggies. I got nothing off the taxpayer for that stuff. I used my savings and got family to pay and paid them back each week!

It's ridiculous to think they will take from one area using one system, and give to another with no system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No increase in prsi or usc ...only 10c on a pint, no change to spirits, reduction in youth dole, reduction in free phone and free tv licence, no vat increase...
    http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

But you singled her out? You decided that she must not be able to afford them so she shouldn't have them (Fair enough) but you assumed she knew she'd be in the deep end of no money land and still wanted to have kids
    See:

Whatever.. see what you want to see.

But the issue you assumed she did then decided to add your disclaimer.

That's pretty much screaming at someone and then adding in "ah but if you have an excuse it's okay".

ok... thats because I typed in CAPS right?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

It's fairly shocking to see that most of the Dail has been cleared out already

• Advertisement

goose06 wrote: »
    It's fairly shocking to see that most of the Dail has been cleared out already

There's a massive ten cent tax on pints! They need to get the drinking done fast.

Advertisement