Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Could they not have knocked a tenner off the dole for everyone instead of exclusively targeting 'young' people? Even just round it down to an even €180.. seriously how much harder would it be to survive with €8 less per week?

I never moan about those on the dole, and I'm not doing it now.. but it just seems like a really political move by government to only reduce payments to those under 25. They're the demographic least likely to vote though, innit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

goose06 wrote: »
    It's fairly shocking to see that most of the Dail has been cleared out already

both Ministers Noonan and Howlin have left to go to Press Conferences while Opposition still speaking....such respect:pac:

...all you need to know about "Dáil Reform"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There's a massive ten cent tax on pints! They need to get the drinking done fast.

Increases on tax and alcohol. How do they expect a man to raise a family at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Off to the free Dail bar for a piss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Playboy wrote: »
    ? I'm not going on at her.. i made one comment then discussed that with others. I did add a disclaimer to my comment. However if you think that a country with no national health service providing nearly half the population with free healthcare is ok then fire away... i can see how we got in the mess we are in. People pay an enormous amount every month from their salaries to pay for the nhs, Ireland doesnt fund the health service in the same way so people need to get real and stop expecting medical cards for one and all.

I don't even want one for me, just the kids! I haven't seen a doc outside mat care since I lost my job. I would like an affordable long term contraceptive though! Daddy will be working a while before we will feel financially secure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

How does the 10c on a pint affect a bag of cans? Its a joke, I mean I already pay tax on the cans AND the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Health and education are essential to ensure a good future workforce. Subsidized childcare is needed to keep low income parents in the workforce and off the live register. That is common sense. If you are going to complain, do so about the ridiculous things people apply for from the taxpayer, like 2 free buggies. I got nothing off the taxpayer for that stuff. I used my savings and got family to pay and paid them back each week!

Education yes, childcare no. Free education in a way is subsidized childcare. People need to factor in the not insignificant costs of having children before they have them and that includes medical bills, childcare and all the other associated expenses. A country the size of Ireland cannot sustain a welfare state at its current size without significantly increasing taxation and employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭paulbok

TheDoc wrote: »
    These guys don't go college for 3-5 years, to come out and get a job in a call centre or clothes shop. It's a constant false fact that jobs are available for graduates. Job yes, jobs in the field they have spent up to 5 years studying for, no.

Well let them take those jobs until a one more suited to their skills becomes available. Why should everyone else support them until they get a job they are happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

thats before the price of a pint goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can anyone confirm that there was no increase for spirits/cider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Could they not have knocked a tenner off the dole for everyone instead of exclusively targeting 'young' people? Even just round it down to an even €180.. seriously how much harder would it be to survive with €8 less per week?

I never moan about those on the dole, and I'm not doing it now.. but it just seems like a really political move by government to only reduce payments to those under 25. They're the demographic least likely to vote though, innit

A theory is by a few people that by reducing the dole for the young, you're forcing them to do jobbidge schemes. When on jobbridge, you're not declared as unemployed on the register so it looks like you're decreasing the amount of youth unemployed.

Which is stupid since the government pays the extra 50 quid you get while you work for private companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Probably into the dáil bar for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Can anyone confirm that there was no increase for spirits/cider?

spirits also up 10c

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times already, but I didn't get to see the budget (just getting a chance to take a quick look at the PDF that was linked to earlier).

Can anyone tell me, the 25 year olds reduced rate thing - It says that this will not apply to anyone who is already in receipt of Jobseekers allowance already (therefore, I presume that it only applies to new claimants).

However, it goes on to say that it will apply to anyone whose jobseeker's benefit payment has been exhausted.

This is confusing as, as far as I know, you can't get jobseekers allowance unless your benefit exhausts (ie; you always get benefit before allowance?).

Can anyone clarify?

I'm 25 until June, but work part time. Not sure what rate I'll be on in January from reading it. Seems poorly worded.

Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

anyone want to protest in the pub? stage a sit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Riskymove wrote: »
    spirits also up 10c
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Some younger people do not have the ability to stay at home, that is what they are basing this on. Stay home with mammy and daddy.
    Playboy wrote: »
    Education yes, childcare no. Free education in a way is subsidized childcare. People need to factor in the not insignificant costs of having children before they have them and that includes medical bills, childcare and all the other associated expenses. A country the size of Ireland cannot sustain a welfare state at its current size without significantly increasing taxation and employment.

Some people can only find jobs in Tesco and the like. Childcare is 1000 a month roughly, they would not be able to work with that. Very few workplaces can give a parent the hours of 9:30 to 1 realistically. And if they did, I think that you would complain about favouritism to parents then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A theory is by a few people that by reducing the dole for the young, you're forcing them to do jobbidge schemes. When on jobbridge, you're not declared as unemployed on the register so it looks like you're decreasing the amount of youth unemployed.

Which is stupid since the government pays the extra 50 quid you get while you work for private companies.

That's more than likely it alright. Just seems very unfair to me.. I mean a 24 year old could be in the exact same situation as a 50 year old unemployed person. Hell, there's 24 year olds with kids to look after and 50 year olds with no kids and living in homes they already own.

It's bloody discrimination really, no matter how they justify it or dress it up as something which will get people off the dole. They should have balanced it more evenly and applied fair cuts regardless of age.

Tax payers paying for companies to get richer while qualified persons are looked over for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

folan wrote: »
    anyone want to protest in the pub? stage a sit in?

I think this is called a lock-in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

They seem to be keen to exit the bail-out.
    A nation once again. Until we fúck up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I don't even want one for me, just the kids! I haven't seen a doc outside mat care since I lost my job. I would like an affordable long term contraceptive though! Daddy will be working a while before we will feel financially secure!

completely off topic but you can get the mirena coil.
    Its supposed to be something like €400 but you get it at a reduced rate in the chemist, they claim back the difference through the drug repayment scheme.
    You will probably end up paying €150 for it, still a lot to pay in 1 go but a lot cheaper than 5 years of condoms/pill or another child :D
    Doesn't matter if you have a medical card or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Does anyone have a link to the budget document? Cant seem to find it online. Want to start checking the little details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

coolabula wrote: »
    Its supposed to be something like €400 but you get it at a reduced rate in the chemist, they claim back the difference through the drug repayment scheme.
    You will probably end up paying €150 for it, still a lot to pay in 1 go but a lot cheaper than 5 years of condoms/pill or another child :D

That or do a road trip to freshers' week in every Irish 3rd level institution and stock up on the free condoms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

That's more than likely it alright. Just seems very unfair to me.. I mean a 24 year old could be in the exact same situation as a 50 year old unemployed person. Hell, there's 24 year olds with kids to look after and 50 year olds with no kids and living in homes they already own.

It's bloody discrimination really, no matter how they justify it or dress it up as something which will get people off the dole. They should have balanced it more evenly and applied fair cuts regardless of age.

I'd have to double check but I think they do take kids into account with the reduced dole payments - there was wording of 'for a 25 year old with no children' or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

some people (like myself) cannot have hormonal contraception, even though we know we do not want another child (for many reasons but one of which is affordability) yet we cannot get permanent (non hormonal) contraception in this country...

this budget seems fair enough but i cannot help feel there will be some shocks yet to come.

The bar is 100 at my GP, 3 years, OH qualified in a year so after that we will have at least have an income. But 100 is a fortune to us these days!

Maybe the government should have a free healthcare for this sort of thing, it would help a lot with the cost of free maternity care, etc!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

SeaFields wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the budget document? Cant seem to find it online. Want to start checking the little details

You can find the main documents here.

However you will have to go to the individual department websites for their individual breakdowns to really know what is going on. That is where the cutbacks have been hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

SeaFields wrote: »

http://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/budget-speech.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hoodwinked wrote: »
    some people (like myself) cannot have hormonal contraception, even though we know we do not want another child (for many reasons but one of which is affordability) yet we cannot get permanent (non hormonal) contraception in this country...

this budget seems fair enough but i cannot help feel there will be some shocks yet to come.

Let him get the snip. 400 euros and thats it, no more bills.

Advertisement