Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Poor WB Yeats must be spinning in his grave today, first Michael Noonan was quoting lines from his poetry and now Pearse Doherty is at it.

Do you think we could rig him up in a dynamo kind of arrangement...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Uriel. wrote: »
    Why?
    and
    Why?

Could at least have it mean tested? Instead of just getting rid of it?

My cousin died a few years back and the grant was a big help in paying for some bit of the expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Could at least have it mean tested? Instead of just getting rid of it?

My cousin died a few years back and the grant was a big help in paying for some bit of the expenses.

Hardship supplements/grants are available to families in cases of emergencies I think.

Why can't people make provision for their funeral? It's not much to ask. Also, where available, cost can be covered via the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

9 of the tech group to speak in the next hour.

Mick is up first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Sure that is pure madness,

Could there be a u-turn on this?

It seems this grant was often paid along with the widowed and surviving civil partner grant which is a one of payment of €6000. That payment is still in place. The bereavement grant was related to prsi contributions.

Page 7:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/pdf/pr151013.pdf

Bereavement grant
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/death_related_benefits/standard_bereavement_grant.html

Widowed and Civil Partner Grant
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/death_related_benefits/widowed_persons_bereavement_grant.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Employer PRSI going from 4.25% to 8.5% for employees earning under €356 per week from the start of 2014, because that lower rate from 2011 isn't being renewed.

€37 per week from invalidity pensions for people reaching the age of 65 until they reach the age of 66 according to Matt Cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

jester77 wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that someone who pays a serious amount into they system should not get anything out of it, while those who don't contribute should get as much as they can.

If you're paying 'a serious amount into the system' you're taking a serious amount out of it and that system is serving you well.
    Why shouldn't those who contribute so much get nothing out?

This requires a suspension of reason. If you're privileged enough to contribute so much you're already getting a huge amount out.
    Otherwise all you have is a Robin Hood type system and it will just end up where the rich move their money to avoid paying taxes and the government will have even less to give out.

This is only a reason to tighten up on capital flight not apply contribution unequally.
    The childrens allowance payment is very small in comparison to what they pay into the system.

And tiny compared to what they take out.
    The real problem in Ireland is that those with low wages are paying almost nothing into the system, that needs to be changed.

Clueless. People on lower wages spend every penny they have and thus it all goes back into the system. The rich tie their wealth up, offshore it, buy antiques, set up trust funds, employ destructive accountants, and so their disposable income becomes useless to the economy. Again, stop spouting the propaganda line and think before you type.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Someone earning that much a year will be paying multiples of the other person's salary as tax, nevermind the other person's tax payments.

Again we see wilful suspension of reason here. As a percentage of their income they will pay more but, as you well know, looking as income tax alone is a monumentally stupid way of considering who pays what and who benefits most from their contribution.

If anything, they should be getting multiples of the payment, if you want to be really fair about it

More absolute nonsense. You're completely (deliberately?) failing to consider how much these people take out of the system and how much the system works to their benefit.

I'll leave now with a couple of quotes from the Father of economics Adam Smith:
    The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities, that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state.

It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Wealth Of Nations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sure that is pure madness,

Could there be a u-turn on this?

I didn't even know such a thing existed, no wonder there were such slap up meals and booze flowing after funerals. It should never have even existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

No protestors in town thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Everyone does love a good moan :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

dharma200 wrote: »
    50 cent on wine is harsh. 10cent on fags is ridiculous. Wine sort of harms. Fags seriously kill....

I do love my wine, but it is a luxury, im happy enough to pay 50c extra on it. Fags have already seen large increases, tho as a non-smoker.... ;)

Wasnt it last year all the shops offered "Recession busting deals" but the overall price of beer in shops doesnt seem to have gone up really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The real problem in Ireland is that those with low wages are paying almost nothing into the system,

I'd have to disagree with that point to be honest. In terms of income tax, yes people on low wages would pay little but in terms of VAT, DIRT and excise IMO they are paying proportionally more in taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yay! It barely affects me! In your face, everyone else! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that point to be honest. In terms of income tax, yes people on low wages would pay little but in terms of VAT, DIRT and excise IMO they are paying proportionally more in taxes.

And they're spending near 100% of their money in the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PaddyORuadhan

Budget hasn't cut enough..... Here are my proposals to fix the Irish economy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

ressem wrote: »
    Employer PRSI going from 4.25% to 8.5% for employees earning under €356 per week from the start of 2014, because that lower rate from 2011 isn't being renewed.

This is news to me, you think your ok, then someone comes along to burst your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Old and sick --- badly effected.

Young --- badly effected.

Super rich --- left alone again.

Now which of the above are the Government standing up for?

smcgiff wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if this affected the funeral directors more than the bereaved.

Yeah, no ones going to want to die now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    This is news to me, you think your ok, then someone comes along to burst your bubble.

Shame on you for employing people on such low wages. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

People , I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

The 10c on a pint , for a pub to maintain the same profit margin , they will have to stick something like 30-40c on

I don't understand it , but some accountant friends tried to explain it to me one time ( the last budget )... all be it after a few of the aforementioned pints.

Watch this space ........ sure as eggs is eggs , the pint will have a large whack shoved on it.

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    Shame on you for employing people on such low wages. :P

Sorry, misread that employer prsi (not employee),
    and i would have to agreed with you smcgiff.

Just on the point of the bereavement benefit. Having been in the unfortunate position recently of having to assist with the financing of a late relative's funeral, the €850 that it gives goes nowhere towards covering the full cost of a funeral. If you're lucky it might cover the cost of the hearse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

Just on the point of the bereavement benefit. Having been in the unfortunate position recently of having to assist with the financing of a late relative's funeral, the €850 that it gives goes nowhere towards covering the full cost of a funeral. If you're lucky it might cover the cost of the hearse.

But jaysus, it was something at least.

SueBoom wrote: »
    But jaysus, it was something at least.

Yeah I know. I was pointing out the fact to those who were saying that it only gets spent on drinks and the like at the wake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Go on Ming, you tell the bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, at least Ming put on a better show than Boyd-Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Old and sick --- badly effected.

Young --- badly effected.

Super rich --- left alone again.

Now which of the above are the Government standing up for?

if the country lose the super rich, it would be in a worse state

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can I just implore everyone to get out at the next election and get rid of Labour. They are no longer the party of the worker, they are more FG than FG themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Davidth88 wrote: »
    People , I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

The 10c on a pint , for a pub to maintain the same profit margin , they will have to stick something like 30-40c on

I don't understand it , but some accountant friends tried to explain it to me one time ( the last budget )... all be it after a few of the aforementioned pints.

Watch this space ........ sure as eggs is eggs , the pint will have a large whack shoved on it.

Hyper..........bole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

Yeah I know. I was pointing out the fact to those who were saying that it only gets spent on drinks and the like at the wake

Yeah, I'd say that probably does happen in some cases but my god are funerals expensive, it really is a terrible blow. Especially to those who have to cope with a very sudden death.

Advertisement