Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Lets drop the budget day .and call it what it really is"" bondholder lotto day.""

Lets drop the budget day .and call it what it really is"" bondholder lotto day.""

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Why bother working as a nurse and dealing with strung out idiots in the Mater if all you get is taxed to the hilt?

What about the Tesco worker doing the work so many see themselves as too good for even though it would pay better to do nothing with themselves.

How about the rubbish man cleaning your rubbish every other day so you can have a clean home for their pittance, they all should take the cuts when consultants and bank managers get away with the basic taxes? Are you insane, how is that fair?

The better educated people, like doctors/top consultants - the guys that could save your life if you ever need it - will just leave Ireland if the tax gets to high, then you will be left with inexperienced doctors who though qualified may not have seen your illness before.

The guy packing the shelf can easily be replaced likewise the rubbish man.
    As for nurses - you choose to be a nurse and you know the salary expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

35,000 pensioners, some with serious illnesses, will lose their medical cards. Just like many special needs children did previously.

yea but how is it determined - by the value of the their assets or their income.

A 90 year old could live in an expensive house but be on state pension compared with an ex Taoiseach who could get 1k+ a week in pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Also what is happening with the Over 70's and the Medical Card?

We're just gonna take it from them, and we'll see if the situation resolves itself over the next few years.

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just cause you know saying it 6 times isn't enough, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Why do the oldies get hit by the youngies in every budget. After all we are here because of them.

Most of us here are in our working life cycle and hope to retire one day.

Do we really want the financial worries the current crop are going through.

There should be a law put in place to protect oldies pensions, incomes, allowances whatever, because after all it's really to protect our own future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

No cut to social welfare! Should at least be cut for each criminal conviction. And children's allowance on a smart card that cannot be spent on cigs./alcohol etc.

This budget will make people spend less in Ireland. Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

c_man wrote: »
    We're just gonna take it from them, and we'll see if the situation resolves itself over the next few years.

*cough*

The young --- emigration.

The old --- graveyard.

The super rich --- luxury and protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

AdamD wrote: »
    You seem to be suggesting that when taxes are raised it doesn't effect high earners income..it does. For example USC being introduced lowers everybody's net income by a %, in doing so that means high earners face a bigger 'cut' than anybody else.

We are being told we all have to suffer, we all must play our part, are you telling me that Bono is paying anything near what he should to help his country, or Noonan and co. they can still afford their premium health insurance, they don't need to worry about heating their homes this winter!
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    The better educated people, like doctors/top consultants - the guys that could save your life if you ever need it - will just leave Ireland if the tax gets to high, then you will be left with inexperienced doctors who though qualified may not have seen your illness before.

The guy packing the shelf can easily be replaced likewise the rubbish man.
    As for nurses - you choose to be a nurse and you know the salary expectations.

Doctors are easily replaced too. There are circa 3,000 people a year applying for the further training for GP. There are many registrars that can be made consultants for more reasonable pay, that are more than qualified and even trained here but cannot get to be one due to the numbers already consultants or are not Irish born (as is the case for many RCSI graduates). They can easily take pay cuts, I rather they take them than making the Junior doctor working a 36 hour straight shift because a lot of them will not work nights and weekends. I need him more than a consultant 49 times out of 50!

If no one collected your rubbish because it is too expensive for them to work, you will suffer consequences too. Disease (from rats), pollution, society only works if it is a fair and balanced system. Those on the bottom are as needed as those on the top.

If no one washes the plates in a hotel, food cannot be served, why, because there are no dishes. So you could have a 5 star hotel and cannot serve the food without the lad that works the dishwasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Rezident wrote: »
    No cut to social welfare! Should at least be cut for each criminal conviction. And children's allowance on a smart card that cannot be spent on cigs./alcohol etc.

This budget will make people spend less in Ireland. Brilliant.
    Yeah.....that wouldn't work out all that well for society at large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Maudi wrote: »

Once was enough eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Why do the oldies get hit by the youngies in every budget. After all we are here because of them.

Most of us here are in our working life cycle and hope to retire one day.

Do we really want the financial worries the current crop are going through.

There should be a law put in place to protect oldies pensions, incomes, allowances whatever, because after all it's really to protect our own future.

What are you talking about? They’ve been the least hit interest group since the recession started. About time the government grew a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We are being told we all have to suffer, we all must play our part, are you telling me that Bono is paying anything near what he should to help his country, or Noonan and co. they can still afford their premium health insurance, they don't need to worry about heating their homes this winter!

Doctors are easily replaced too. There are circa 3,000 people a year applying for the further training for GP. There are many registrars that can be made consultants for more reasonable pay, that are more than qualified and even trained here but cannot get to be one due to the numbers already consultants or are not Irish born (as is the case for many RCSI graduates). They can easily take pay cuts, I rather they take them than making the Junior doctor working a 36 hour straight shift because a lot of them will not work nights and weekends. I need him more than a consultant 49 times out of 50!

I think your opinion on what these people should pay is going to be vastly different to mine. I don't think they should have to prop up social welfare for dozens of people because they've made a success of themselves.

Not even sure Bono lives here enough to pay tax here but we can swap him for any other high earner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

They seem pretty adamant on driving it true - sure dead people don't have votes is their mentality.

They are forgetting that someone has to pay for a funeral. People pay PRSI all their life, and now they can't even pass away in peace in the knowledge that they won't be indebting the family they leave behind if they are struggling financially.

It is actually a disgusting, horrible and spiteful cut.

No, it's not.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    What are you talking about? They’ve been the least hit interest group since the recession started. About time the government grew a pair.

In their lifetime they have paid 58% income tax during other recessions, paid mortgages etc etc.
    They have raised and educated their families and worked for many years.
    It is time to leave them in peace in their final years.

The irony being the tax relief for this was cut drastically today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

heyjude wrote: »
    He didn't cut their pensions, but the Minister sure gave the elderly a good pounding, with the abolition of the Bereavement Grant, discontinuation of the Telephone allowance and a 66% increase in prescription fees for medical card holders from €1.50 to €2.50 per item(meaning the sickest may struggle to pay for their prescriptions).

I think the latter measure may spell the end of the chances of this government being returned to office after the next election :D
    i am disabled, the two above will cost me €38.25 extra each month, the supplementery budget on health may cost me more, my guess is that they are waiting for the noise from this one to die before springing that on us

• Advertisement

In their lifetime they have paid 58% income tax during other recessions, paid mortgages etc etc.
    They have raised and educated their families and worked for many years.
    It is time to leave them in peace in their final years.

They also had massive increases to their pensions and benefits during the boom and have had the least movement towards pre-boom levels when compared to other groups.

They should be thankful they hold such political power as their cuts would have been much, much worse. Would they prefer the minor cuts they received were heaped further on the sick or their children/grandchildren? They should not be excluded from bringing welfare payments back to realistic levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Heard college fees will increase from €2750 to €3000 but any word on whether third level grant will be reduced?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    They also had massive increases to their pensions and benefits during the boom and have had the least movement towards pre-boom levels when compared to other groups.

They should be thankful they hold such political power as their cuts would have been much, much worse. Would they prefer the minor cuts they received were heaped further on the sick or their children/grandchildren? They should not be excluded from bringing welfare payments back to realistic levels.

No they should be allowed to see out their final years in peace.
    They have paid already.
    Realistic is in the eye of the beholder.
    All this is to pay for the sins of rich bondholders anyway. Friends of the Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

No they should be allowed to see out their final years in peace.
    They have paid already.
    Realistic is in the eye of the beholder.
    All this is to pay for the sins of rich bondholders anyway. Friends of the Govt.

Oh the bondholders... Back to this are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

heyjude wrote: »
    increase in prescription fees for medical card holders from €1.50 to €2.50 per item(meaning the sickest may struggle to pay for their prescriptions)
    flutered wrote: »
    i am disabled, the two above will cost me €38.25 extra each month,

How is that not a tax on ill health? I agree with a small fee to help prevent GMS card holders from abusing the system but this seems all wrong.

Also, if the increased cost means ill/disabled people will avoid going to the GP/Chemist they could end up in the hospital where the costs are exponentially higher.

Oh the bondholders... Back to this are we?

Yes they have to get their gambling money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Heard college fees will increase from €2750 to €3000 but any word on whether third level grant will be reduced?

no more cuts to education other than those announced last year! :) grants were unaffected.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 can_of_soup

35,000 pensioners, some with serious illnesses, will lose their medical cards. Just like many special needs children did previously.

so what ?

they have enough money to not rely on the tax payer to foot the bill for their medical expenses

would be nice if the threshold for medical cards was ten million per year but we don't have that luxury , I wont loose a wink of sleep over someone over seventy who now has less money to stick into savings now each week or whatever they did with the money now needed for doc visits etc

hoodwinked wrote: »
    no more cuts to education other than those announced last year! :)grants were unaffected.

The farmers children will be alright so.

• Advertisement

so what ?

they have enough money to not rely on the tax payer to foot the bill for their medical expenses

would be nice if the threshold for medical cards was ten million per year but we don't have that luxury , I wont loose a wink of sleep over someone over seventy who now has less money to stick into savings now each week or whatever they did with the money now needed for doc visits etc

How do you know that they all have savings etc?

Advertisement