Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

The child benefit should have been scrapped or even means tested. Those that are recieving social welfare payments or those on low income should be the only people entitled to it. Even if they capped CB after the 2nd child, it would have made a significant cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 seahorse61

Did they make changes to Capital Gains Tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Foxtrol wrote: »
    ‘Nothing’ – The hyperbole around here is fantastic. They are getting far from ‘nothing’, they’re getting plenty of ‘perks’ just not a free medical card subsidized by people paying taxes, trying to support their children, in negative equity while earning less than the pensioner.

You are aware that this universal ‘entitlement’ for them all to have a medical card hasn’t been here for generations, it’s something that was thought up by the crowd that ruined the country with extravagant, unaffordable attempts to buy votes.

Are you aware that the pensioner might also be helping his/her children who are in negative equity?
    Picky yourself.

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

irishfeen wrote: »
    Being realistic as to the situation we find ourselves in...Who do you want to pay for the public sector, social welfare, state pensions, grants, free education etc? .... do you want the working man to pay even more?, the droves of educated people leaving on the plane?... who? We have to do this, we have no choice.

People don't want cuts to be made but people also don't want to have to pay for stuff.

They want everything and they want it for nothing.

Make no mistake, those moaning about the pensioner medical cards would be the same ones moaning if their taxes had increased further to continue paying for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

bleg wrote: »
    Free GP care for all under 5s is a disgrace.

I do not know how you can say that let alone think it. Free healthcare should be available to ALL children whether they live in Ireland, Canada or anywhere else in the world. It is the least we as adults can do to ensure they grow up having healthy productive lives.

I also think they are entitled to free education as well (schoolbooks included) until they go to college or University.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ace2007 wrote: »
    There are plenty of choices though no one wants to look at them.

You could suggest no more free education, have a UK type system whereby you have to get a loan to go to college and then pay it back - there would be uproar here if that was suggested. As you said our educated people are leaving the country - is it fair my tax educated them to go to australlia to earn more and pay less tax

Public sector is a joke - but that will never change cause no one in the government has the balls to sort it out so they will continue to let it be the inefficient money wasting machine that it is.

Following on from the above comment, the social welfare/job bridge are all over the place. Simple if you want to claim money you scan your finger print, getting that brought in would save the state money long term, there was a case in the courts during the week where a guy claimed another person's dole for 3 years - how is that possible - where was the checks - the people that paid him out should have implications - but I doubt they did.

So you see there are way without screwing over the most vulnerable but the government don't have the balls to do it.
    So you want to hang massive debt around college graduates necks? ... well I certainly don't, we are among the most educated country in the world... you can go to college both if your living in D4 or in a very poor working class family... "Educate that you may be Free" ... as a county we should always remember that and all children should know that as a society we will give them every chance in life.... its not their fault they are being force to Australia and beyond.

Of course there is waste in the public sector but the government has over the past few years majorly improved on waste and cut expenditure while avoiding industrial action.

As for job bridge and the likes, well i'm currently doing one so I am fully aware of its flaws.

The mother of that newborn though has had her maternity benefit cut from €262 to €230 per week. Would the average child really get enough free GP visits over the 5 years to make up for that reduction?

Give with one hand and take with the other.
    Of course they would visit the GP a lot, probably more then at any time in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Of course they would visit the GP a lot, probably more then at any time in their life.

I was hardly ever at the doctor, neither were my siblings. I'd imagine most average, healthy children would be the same.

awec wrote: »
    People don't want cuts to be made but people also don't want to have to pay for stuff.

Make no mistake, those moaning about the pensioner medical cards would be the same ones moaning if their taxes had increased further to continue paying for them.
    Couldn't say it better myself, people need to get real... if we want to get this country back to one of the most successful in the world then we need to do this, the quicker we correct our finance the quicker we might be able to keep our young people at home and re-introduce some of these benefits.

I was hardly ever at the doctor, neither were my siblings. I'd imagine most average, healthy children would be the same.
    Don't think so, I would think most newborns would be seen by a GP on a fairly regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I just spent the last 2 hours of my life watching the Ireland match and reading this thread...

I feel I have been hit a lot harder than any of the idiots giving out about feck all on here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 222 ✭✭harryr711

Stinicker wrote: »
    A good budget for the working man, very bad for those on handouts, hopefully it will materialise into jobs. The DIRT hike is a disgrace and will trigger another bank liquidity crisis as billions in deposits will now move offshore when they will be receiving practically no Interest here.
    Interest rates are low in other countries too, and residents with savings abroad are still liable for DIRT here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 seahorse61

Tax rates on work need to be lowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I do not know how you can say that let alone think it. Free healthcare should be available to ALL children whether they live in Ireland, Canada or anywhere else in the world. It is the least we as adults can do to ensure they grow up having healthy productive lives.

Lovely idea but why bring it in during a period of austerity? Why bring it in without any consultation with the stakeholders? Why not bring it in on a means tested basis to start off with? Look at child benefit. Universal benefits are nearly impossible to get rid of. Why just kids?

I can take your argument and replace it with any interest group, for example:

I do not know how you can say that let alone think it. Free healthcare should be available to ALL college students whether they live in Ireland, Canada or anywhere else in the world. It is the least we as adults can do to ensure they grow up having healthy productive lives.

It's a populist and cynical move aimed at buying votes. The estimated cost is suspiciously low as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

We were never at the doctor either growing up. But nowadays things like childhood asthma have absolutely sky-rocketed. Every second kid seems to be on inhalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

awec wrote: »

add 1c tax to text messages would bring in over 100million if my sums where right. (based on 3,049,241,000 texts me sent over a 3 month period in 2012

add 1c tax to text messages would bring in over 100million if my sums where right. (based on 3,049,241,000 texts me sent over a 3 month period in 2012
    I guarantee you people would go more mad with this then any measure brought in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Reduction in fuel allowance.
    Telephone allowance scrapped.
    Funeral grant scrapped.
    Property Tax.
    Water tax soon.

i dont qualify for fuel allowance or telephone allowance, funeral grant will probably effect us all. Property tax and water taxes will effect us all - or most of us?, can someone clarify that, I'm sure the usual suspects will be exempted! I was reading about one off welfare payments the other day, reading how you could claim for washing machines up to E300 or so and other special need items, I went straight onto argos and these are available for E200 for example. If people are really stuck they could probably get them for free or near to it on adverts.ie etc, leinsterfreecycle, Im sure thats well below the "were worth it" welfarers though, let us working gob****es resort to having to look after the pennies so that you dont have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Uriel. wrote: »
    FAIR
    raising dirt from 33% to 41%

Makes Sense, must make it more attractiveness to spend rather than save

not a good idea in the long run... with pension schemes being raped constantly by the government some people prefered to save money for their old age.

the rest of us have not enough to save anyways nor do we have enough to spend of frivalous things

just waiting for noonan to bring in manditory suicide for 65 and older next

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some recently retired teachers are coming out with about €500 p/w... that's a massive pension.

A typical teachers pension is 700 pw.

Approx 36k gross pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If everyone cancelled their health insurance and went public where would it leave the HSE? The bloody VHI is very expensive.

If everyone cancelled their health insurance and went public where would it leave the HSE? The bloody VHI is very expensive.

noonan would tighten up medical cards even more

the grey voters will remember how fg robbed them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

How many years has this been trotted out about adding a 1c tax to texts. If it was introduced years ago we'd be up to about 10c tax on every text at this stage. Then those who wanted it, would be moaning about it.

it's through the roof -

with regard to the below, does this mean if i'm paying for top of the range Health insurance atm (say 3-5k) then next year it could potentially be double?:(
    In relation to medical insurance relief, I have decided to cap the amount of premium on which tax relief will be available to €1,000 per adult and €500 per child. This will restrict the exposure of the Exchequer in relation to premiums paid for ‘gold plated’ medical insurance policies

Yawns wrote: »
    How many years has this been trotted out about adding a 1c tax to texts. If it was introduced years ago we'd be up to about 10c tax on every text at this stage. Then those who wanted it, would be moaning about it.

and taking in nearly a billion a year:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

oh right yes cos noone would stop texting for the most part. Hard to imagine how to communicate with other people without texting. Now to rolleyes or unfollow altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Are you aware that the pensioner might also be helping his/her children who are in negative equity?
    Picky yourself.

So take from the person who actually is in negative equity on a low wage so you can give to the well off pensioner that 'might' be helping their children with their financial issues. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

not a good idea in the long run... with pension schemes being raped constantly by the government some people prefered to save money for their old age.

the rest of us have not enough to save anyways nor do we have enough to spend of frivalous things

just waiting for noonan to bring in manditory suicide for 65 and older next

Think we have a hyperbole winner in tonights 'minor cuts to pensioners' section.

Can anyone top it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Not the worst budget Income Tax and PRSI left alone so no more TAX on wage earners. Good to cut the dole on the 18-25 group should discourage it as a way of life.

Pensioners loosing the phone allowance is pretty irrelevant as is scrapping the death allowance (I did not know one existed). Expect the usual moaners and whingers on Joe Duffy tomorrow while the hard pressed working and middle class is out earning a crust.

Advertisement