Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the phone allowance, is that for landlines or mobiles? seems fair to get rid of that you can get get unlimited calls for 20 a month on most providers now call costs are falling all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Uriel. wrote: »
    FAIR

Makes Sense, must make it more attractiveness to spend rather than save

And then everyone will wonder why they can't get a mortgage or finance a startup or any other capital for large purchases
    Christ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It would make much more sense to levy the Cigarette companies directly - some sort of Health Cost Levy - would require an EU wide approach though and highly unlikely to gain support of all Member States.

I don't see how it does at all, to be honest. It's just more money to throw in a bucket full of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I always follow the budget with interest, but tbf I usually come out of it feeling not TOO hard done by. They're not going to be hitting income tax anyway, but does that mean they won't increase USC or PRSI either, or could they hit those? Increase in alcohol and fuel is a pain in the arse, but it could be worse. My prescription charges have gone from €120 to €144 in the last few months, that's the change that's probably annoyed me the most, I really hope they don't increase it again.

Ya that is all that matters

Who cares that disability services are being cut left right and centre..
    I wouldn't mind paying tiny bit more if meant families don't have to be sweating about what happens their child with a intellectual disability when they hit 18 and no longer protected by Dept. Of Education and find that no service available

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hello, I like money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

JP85 wrote: »
    Who else remembers when they were a kid that when the budget was on on network 2 and that meant The Den wasnt on, absolute nightmare in those days

nope, but I remember when budgets were good news...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

TheDoc wrote: »
    How else will retailers cope with a ten-fold jump in the license, but simply pass on the cost to the consumer.

Expect smokes to go up, if not directly announced in the budget. Remember that price hikes for the last decade have all being the result of tax increases, this will be the first RRP increase in a long time.

And it will only server to push people to alternative methods of purchase. At some point they will learn that you just cant make someone stop doing something, by pricing them out.

Stupid move by the government if it comes to pass, which will only increase revenue for the black market, and reduce revenue for the exchequer.

Actually, this means that big supermarkets will be able to sell cigarettes cheaper than small corner shops. Cartons of fags will become part of the weekly shop and small independent newsagents will be even more marginalised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

bluewolf wrote: »
    And then everyone will wonder why they can't get a mortgage or finance a startup or any other capital for large purchases
    Christ

Society needs people who have money to go out and spend it. There are advantages and disadvantages to every economic decision made. But there is a need to roll with the best, on balance at a particular time. WE need to reduce our budget deficit while at the same time creating an environment where people will starting spending money.

Hoarding money away will not provide growth to the economy and impacts on everything from wages, unemployment to business growth.

If you have your heart set on a mortgage, interest rates won't impact on your saving ability - same can be said of startups to be honest. Nobody is talking about keeping DIRT high for the next century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    nope, but I remember when budgets were good news...

When was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I have no sympathy for a pensioner on 30,000 a year losing their medical cards

they should get nothing from the state on that kind of money

Me neither, no mortgages or dependents, this has to be tackled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes, currently a medical card holder pays €1.50 an item (not €1 as the quote above says) and its capped at €20 a month. There is an initiative coming whereas medical card holders will be given a generic medicine when a brand is prescribed but can pay the difference between brand and generic if they wish. This should save the state money also.

The poster didn't say it's €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

wprathead wrote: »
    Ya that is all that matters

Who cares that disability services are being cut left right and centre..
    I wouldn't mind paying tiny bit more if meant families don't have to be sweating about what happens their child with a intellectual disability when they hit 18 and no longer protected by Dept. Of Education and find that no service available

I didn't say that was all that matters. I'm talking about how the budget affects me personally.

Society needs people have money to go out and spend it. There are advantages and disadvantages to every economic decision made. But there is a need to roll with the best, on balance at a particular time. WE need to reduce our budget deficit while at the same time creating an environment where people will starting spending money.

Hoarding money away will not provide growth to the economy and impacts on everything from wages, unemployment to business growth.

Society doesn't need any such thing, we can't have any growth without capital, and that means saving. That means capital to produce the goods in the first place.

http://mises.org/daily/710

http://mises.org/daily/4193/

Savings, or capital accumulation, is the most important direct factor in wealth creation. The volume of capital directly influences the cost to borrow said capital, otherwise known as the rate of interest. Naturally, the greater the supply of capital, the lower the cost to borrow, providing an incentive for entrepreneurs to borrow and invest.

Investment in lines of production, whether it is the creation of a new factory or an investment in a new method of production, is what leads to rises in productivity. A rise in productivity leads to an increase in the quantity supplied of any given good, allowing for a reduction in price. It is this increase in the quantity supplied that leads to an increase in real wages, and an increase in the general wealth of society.

It is thus nonsensical to oppose savings on the grounds that an increase in savings will necessarily lead to a decrease in wages. Real wages rely directly on investment; without increases in productivity, wages are bound to stagnate at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Gongoozler wrote: »
    When was this?

In the late nineties or something? I remember tuning in to see how much more the nanny would get in her pension! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

".....In order to reduce the impact of this years Budget, Minister Noonan is proposing a reduction in VAT on anal lube..."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

When was this?

sure it was only 2007 that Bertie was throwing money at the people to be reelected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

TheDoc wrote: »
    Tobacco license being increased from €50 a month to €500 a month for retailers , so a rumour is saying.

Government pushing blame game from themselves, so that customers now get the rage with retailers. Massive price hikes on Tobacco no doubt incoming, retailers will use the excuse that the government levy forcing their hand.

Time to look for a blackmarket seller, and I'm not even joking : /

Or maybe just give up and get healthy!?

fags can't be expensive enough imo

Society doesn't need any such thing, we can't have any growth without capital, and that means saving. That means capital to produce the goods in the first place.
    No savings no investment

http://mises.org/daily/710

http://mises.org/daily/4193/

I disagree.
    It is in our best interests to increase public consumption in the short term. Having capital available in 5 or 10 years time is not going to help us today. Also, saving might work in a normal banking system, but not here, when interest rates are rising. Savings are only useful where that money is being invested into the economy. With the high rate of trackers, the bad debts of the banking system, mortgage crises et al, "cheap" credit is not available (thankfully in a lot of ways), but the knock on effect is that the €1 saved is quite simply not being used as it would in a fully functioning banking system, which means that savings at a macro level are not providing the best return for society at this time.

Okay, I'll go off and max out my credit cards and try buy a few houses so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It looks as if the unedited version of Michael Noonan's Budget 2014 Prep video has been released telling us the dismal state of affairs in the economy:

- 3 Jobs are being created every month

- Up to 34 jobs have been created in the last 12 months

- Initiatives are being taken to support the EU-IMF Bailout in today's budget

- Job creation is the #4 priority

We didn't think it was this bad did we? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nobody is talking about keeping DIRT high for the next century.

You expect a charge to actually come down, ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

When was this?

2000 AD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I disagree.
    It is in our best interests to increase public consumption in the short term. Having capital available in 5 or 10 years time is not going to help us today. Also, saving might work in a normal banking system, but not here, when interest rates are rising. Savings are only useful where that money is being invested into the economy. With the high rate of trackers, the bad debts of the banking system, mortgage crises et al, "cheap" credit is not available (thankfully in a lot of ways), but the knock on effect is that the €1 saved is quite simply not being used as it would in a fully functioning banking system, which means that savings at a macro level are not providing the best return for society at this time.

No, but it'll help me if I ever need it. Fúck me for being the bad guy and not spending it though right? Because I really have to go and use it on something I don't need, to serve my duty to The Economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I didn't say that was all that matters. I'm talking about how the budget affects me personally.

Ya sorry reread your post and i got tone lf it all wrong

Apoligies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Or maybe just give up and get healthy!?

fags can't be expensive enough imo

I assume you're in favour of the sugar tax too? :confused:

No, but it'll help me if I ever need it. Fúck me for being the bad guy and not spending it though right? Because I really have to go and use it on something I don't need, to serve my duty to The Economy.

And then when we're still fcuked in a few years because spending doesn't work, the answer will just have to be... more spending.

Okay, I'll go off and max out my credit cards and try buy a few houses so

Ok. good luck with that. Nice reasoned (read hysterical) argument though. I never mentioned borrowing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    In the late nineties or something? I remember tuning in to see how much more the nanny would get in her pension! :D

I remember that too. I remember Phoenix Magazine had a picture of Charlie McCreevy dressed as Santa Claus on the front page after he delivered a particularly pleasant budget! I think it was 1999.

jebus, I am not asking you to do anything. I am not going to spend money I don't have either or that I don't WANT to spend, but the Government needs to create an environment to encourage an increase in (private) spending. DIRT is one such short-term method (mind you it's a tiny piece of the puzzle overall).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Advertisement