Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Day - The Official After Hours Thread - (Ireland's undisputed Voice of Reason)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why are people reproducing when they can't afford to and then expecting everyone else to feed them and clothe them? To hell with that

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

There should be an internet tax, specifically on the use of certain words.
    And that unmentionable word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why are people reproducing when they can't afford to and then expecting everyone else to feed them and clothe them? To hell with that

Because they know we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Public health Care too. Fvck them publics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I did have an idea i seen done in the states. What if the goverment gave those on jobseekers allowance a debit card that can only be used on food, clothes and bills instead of paying cash via the post office. Would put a dent in diageos profits i guess and john players too. You would not be able to buy drink or cigarettes with it. Would mean you also couldn't buy drugs either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

jjbrien wrote: »
    I did have an idea i seen done in the states. What if the goverment gave those on jobseekers allowance a debit card that can only be used on food, clothes and bills instead of paying cash via the post office. Would put a dent in diageos profits i guess and john players too. You would not be able to buy drink or cigarettes with it. Would mean you also couldn't buy drugs either

So basically food stamps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You are familiar with the idea of barter right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

You can buy alcohol and tobacco in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

more tax on my beloved wine:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why stop there? That doesn't demean or belittle unemployed people nearly enough. We should force them to shave their heads, wear sackcloth and carry a bell around their neck so people with jobs can avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was on JSB and JSA for a period, was applying for jobs and travelling to interviews all over the West and Northwest, had to keep my car serviced and full of petrol, and go to the internet cafe to print my CV's and application letters. Would this debit card have covered that as well, not even sure if my mechanic takes electronic payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Anyone wrote: »
    You can buy alcohol and tobacco in shops.

The card system stops you buy certain types of goods.

The problem is these cards (modern food stamps) are specifically for food. The Dole is not considered for that but to live your life. People actually pay for things like clothes,rent bills etc... with the money here not just food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Can someone explain the change in illness benefit for me. How did it used to operate and how has it changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The card system stops you buy certain types of goods.

I can guarantee it wouldn't. Also...do you think that the State is going to invest millions in developing a card system that can do that, just to solve a non issue.

Here's the thing that some people don't seem to get....not all unemployed people are chain smoking alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I spend 144 a month on medication for my mental health. It's a stretch at the minute. If it goes up much further I may have to ration my medication. I'm applying for a medical card but have been refused twice previously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I only turned 18 three days ago and they already try to increase the price of drink :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So long as Income Tax, PRSI and USC stays the same I'm happy enough. Already pay far too much on those.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I only turned 18 three days ago and they already try to increase the price of drink :(

Nuts to it, sure it went up during the summer as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I spend 144 a month on medication for my mental health. It's a stretch at the minute. If it goes up much further I may have to ration my medication. I'm applying for a medical card but have been refused twice previously

Hope you are saving the receipts and getting money back at the end of the year .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

do you have a drugs payment scheme card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Are you saying someone earning millions a year, who should have no problem raising a child without further government assistance, gets the EXACT same amount for that child, as someone earning only 20k a year, who still has bills to pay, as well as contributing into the system through tax, USC, and PRSI.

Why shouldn't those who contribute so much get nothing out? Otherwise all you have is a Robin Hood type system and it will just end up where the rich move their money to avoid paying taxes and the government will have even less to give out. The childrens allowance payment is very small in comparison to what they pay into the system.

The whole childrens allowance system is wrong anyway, the money would be better used supplementing creche fees so that parents can work, financing school uniforms, meals & books and so on.

The real problem in Ireland is that those with low wages are paying almost nothing into the system, that needs to be changed. But before that can happen, there is a lot of other things that need changing first. The whole system needs a total overhaul, there is too much money given out and there never ever should be a situation where you are better off living off the system than working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What are the government going to do to reduce the problem of emigration?More and more young people are going to be pushed out of this country.

We don't seem to learn from previous mistakes. Or rather, the government don't.

do you live in Dublin 4 , own an investment property in blackrock and an apartment in central London ?

my uncle who is a retired guard does , he,s seventy one and had a medical card

that's what us thirty something chumps are bleeding for people

It is a different means test for the over 70, although after today your uncle may well be losing his card, so under 5's can have free healthcare.

What are the government going to do to reduce the problem of emigration?More and more young people are going to be pushed out of this country.

We don't seem to learn from previous mistakes. Or rather, the government don't.

The are in fact helping it, by cutting social welfare rates for people under 26 and extending the utter ****e that is the Jobsbridge scheme to 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Budget day!

Where's MY Bailout?

Where's MY Nama?

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

jester77 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't those who contribute so much get nothing out? Otherwise all you have is a Robin Hood type system and it will just end up where the rich move their money to avoid paying taxes and the government will have even less to give out. The childrens allowance payment is very small in comparison to what they pay into the system.

The whole childrens allowance system is wrong anyway, the money would be better used supplementing creche fees so that parents can work, financing school uniforms, meals & books and so on.

The real problem in Ireland is that those with low wages are paying almost nothing into the system, that needs to be changed. But before that can happen, there is a lot of other things that need changing first. The whole system needs a total overhaul, there is too much money given out and there never ever should be a situation where you are better off living off the system than working.

Did you read the parts in my previous posts where I said means tested? I never said people should get nothing, only that should they get the same amount.

People on low wages are still due their 20% tax, USC and PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Are you saying someone earning millions a year, who should have no problem raising a child without further government assistance, gets the EXACT same amount for that child, as someone earning only 20k a year, who still has bills to pay, as well as contributing into the system through tax, USC, and PRSI.

Someone earning that much a year will be paying multiples of the other person's salary as tax, nevermind the other person's tax payments.
    If anything, they should be getting multiples of the payment, if you want to be really fair about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

jester77 wrote: »

Can you imagine how much the 'overhaul' tax would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

• Advertisement

:D Heard that on the radio, supposedly power outages around Grafton and Merrion Street are the cause of it.

Advertisement