Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should I wait for a reply from HR?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, I've been having some problems at work lately with a senior member of staff. This member of staff has been doing everything in their power to cause me hassle. The latest issue is that he keeps trying to completely change my working hours at the last minute, even though I signed an agreement with the company when I became pregnant that stated that I would be on the same regular shift for the duration of my pregnancy. He tries to bully me into agreeing to change shifts but when I refuse, he threatens all sorts of vengeance before getting anotger supervisor to call me back to say I am being left on my previously agreed shift.

The stress got so bad a few weeks ago that I went to see my solicitor who told me that what this person is doing is illegal. He advised me to write an informal letter to hr first just asking them to clarify that I would be left on my agreed shift. I wrote the letter 10 days ago. However, the person that I am complaining about is very good friends with the HR manager and i have heard nothing back since, not even an acknolwedgement of my letter. Last week, I had to be hospitalised as my blood pressure was up due to the stress of this situation. I feel that because of the HR managers relationship with this man, the whole situation will be swept under the carpet (as has happened in the past). With my health and the health of my baby at stake, I now feel that I have no other choice but to go above the HR managers head to the next boss up. Am I being unreasonable to have expected some sort of reply from HR within 10 days? All I want is written confirmation of an agreement I already signed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Firstly I sympathise, but don't stress! I know that's easier said than done however, no job is worth it. The other side of the coin is you start to sound like part of the issue when you start saying X caused me to be in hospital. If you've quantifiable proof of this, a written doctors report that's one thing.

If you've no joy from the informal route then you need to take formal action. Raise an official grievance. You mention the HR person and the person you are having a problem with are friends. You know the situation best but I would be slow to call into question someone's professionalism on the basis of a work friendship. That said HR are there to protect the business so I'd always trust them about as far as I could throw them.

Simply ignore any requests to change shifts and come in on your agreed shifts. If you're not comfortable speaking to the senior person insist he speaks to you with a colleague present. Take notes at each meeting.

Advertisement