Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda presence in City Centre this moring

Options
  • 15-10-2013 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭

They're everywhere around O' Connell St, Abbey St, on the platform in Tara St train station. Can't be just for the budget, can it ? Or for John Gilligan's release :) Anyone hear why they're there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

They were highly concentrated around O'Connell Bridge, I assume to help avoid another sitting protest blocking up the city with it being budget day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

They were highly concentrated around O'Connell Bridge, I assume to help avoid another sitting protest blocking up the city with it being budget day.

Thanks, that must be it so. They're probably watching the trains too for large groups arriving together with the intention of protesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

There's a good few Gardai around Mountjoy Sq. too...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Actually there were a lot of sirens passing near my place (Kevin Street area) at around 7.30 or 7.45 - enough to wake me up. Wonder if that's the same or maybe there was an accident or something. There were definitely several though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

i counted over 20 on O'Connell Bridge this morning, even more on my way down Pearse St! A lot of Garda vans and minibuses were parked on the traffic/pedestrian island near Pearse St Station/Townsend St/the Screen last night, possibly to ferry large groups around town today as needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Newstalk reported that there would be a large Garda presence in Dublin today as protests were expected regarding the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Probably won't be that many protests of a serious nature though. Most people seem just resigned to the bludget process at this stage.

the Gardai themselves got a very harsh dose of it with the recruitment freeze and all the cuts and station closures.

I think there would be a lot less anger if TDs and senators took a fairly big pay cut and fully vouched and transparent expenses were introduced.

There's an acceptance that there's no money but a small cohort of very well paid public service upper management and politicians are still way too well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

They are there for the budget announcement.
    I've seen more gardai today than I have all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I see that shower out louts from The Republican Voice/Real IRA were gathering on O'Connell Bridge around 11am so I'd expect delays later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I see that shower out louts from The Republican Voice/Real IRA were gathering on O'Connell Bridge around 11am so I'd expect delays later.

Yeah saw their table out at the bottom of O'Connell St.

I thought it was a guy selling flags first and thought, "Ah that's a good idea, making a bit of money off the back of the protests. Fair play to them."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Never understood how people can protest midweek, surely they're in work or are looking for work? Oh, that's right, usually they're Lefty muppets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Guards drafted in from all around. 'Overheard' a few of the fine citizens heading in on the luas this morning, wouldnt fancy being a guard at the protests today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hopefully the Garda will do their job properly this time and keep Kildare Street and Nassau Street open to people using public transport and their cars to travel around.

I've no problem with people protesting but keep them behind the barriers on Molesworth Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Just headed out for lunch. With so many guards around you'd be very mindful of road traffic law, right? Watched a small truck hurtle through a red light past O'Connell Bridge on the south quays. No reaction from the lads. On the northern end of the bridge, watched a van make an illegal left off O'Connell Street onto Eden Quay, scattering the pedestrians who had green.

We're a law-abiding country, aren't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mackerski wrote: »

Selectively law-abiding when it comes to driving though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

mackerski wrote: »
    Just headed out for lunch. With so many guards around you'd be very mindful of road traffic law, right? Watched a small truck hurtle through a red light past O'Connell Bridge on the south quays. No reaction from the lads. On the northern end of the bridge, watched a van make an illegal left off O'Connell Street onto Eden Quay, scattering the pedestrians who had green.

They're not all in traffic duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Are they still around. I normally drive home via the quays. Don't want to get stuck if the traffic is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Are they still around. I normally drive home via the quays. Don't want to get stuck if the traffic is bad.

Traffic is moving grand, and only a tiny number of protestors out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kildare st, moleworth st and all the little lanes in the area were blocked off totally. you could walk down kildare st but that was as much as could be done. even the european parliament offices were barricaded:D

Advertisement