Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free car parking near Patrick Street

Options
  • 15-10-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just got a job after 10 years of working in Dublin city (free parking) in Kilkenny city. Being a Dub (I married a Cat so its ok :D ) I am not very familiar YET with the city and its environs.

I know the question has been asked before - as I checked previous answers - but - are there spots available about 8:30am to park and walk to the city? I need my car to get to work as we live in a very rural area with a 2 hour turnaround each way on public transport - not a practical solution for me.

I cannot afford to pay for parking and need to resolve this solution some way or other : maybe my bike in the boot??

Would appreciate any advice as I have a lot to do - with the new house move, and everything that goes with it.

I am looking forward to spending more time in and around the city and getting to know Kilkenny.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you work in the centre of town, I'd say you could park on the Kells road, outside universal providers and it'd only be a couple of minute walk into town, not sure if it's private though. I'm pretty sure you could park completely legally at Larchfield and you'd walk it in about five minutes.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Like all cities and towns free parking is very rare and the council have weeded out many of the old spots that were free and put charges in. I'd say it's hard get a spot on Kells road or Larchfield and I doubt residents would be too happy either.
    You can park for €2 a day in a few places like Johns Green, Gaol Road and Dean st. That's what a lot of workers in city centre do. Also Ormonde st do some offer for weekly parkers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Thanks for the advice, I currently work in Dublin 1 and have on street parking free -

I just can't afford to pay for parking at all: salaries are not that flexible any more, and I can understand that.

I will do a scout around some day I am off and see the lay of the land and eventually will work up to getting my parking paid from - but when people say ....... it's only ........... I know it seems mean or cheap of me but I honestly am stretched that far that a tenner a week would break me,

I could do with the exercise though :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Springhill retail park, you'd be fine there but it'd be a 10+ minute walk I'd say. You could try LIDL, Aldi or Supervalu but I'd say you'd end up getting clamped if they noticed you doing it too often.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

road_high wrote: »
    Like all cities and towns free parking is very rare and the council have weeded out many of the old spots that were free and put charges in.

Indeed they have,
    Great that they get free parking right in the city centre, life is hard for them
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indeed they have,
    Great that they get free parking right in the city centre, life is hard for them
    :rolleyes:

Yea funny that isn't it. Let them eat cake....

Springhill retail park, you'd be fine there but it'd be a 10+ minute walk I'd say. You could try LIDL, Aldi or Supervalu but I'd say you'd end up getting clamped if they noticed you doing it too often.

I think they all clamping notices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Free parking on kells road but loads of people park there - it's jammed 9-5 most days.

Sky King wrote: »
    Free parking on kells road but loads of people park there - it's jammed 9-5 most days.

There's the Teagasc office there too. Like all things if too many start using it the Council will take it away and introduce charges.

What part of town you working in OP?

Just read Patrick st...duh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Outside St Kiernans college is free and not too much of a walk or the recycling centre is €1 a day

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Autosport wrote: »
    Outside St Kiernans college is free and not too much of a walk or the recycling centre is €1 a day

Students fill this up pretty quickly in the morning

I'd say you'd need to be in before 8am to get any good free spots in the city now.

Kennyswell rd is also free, Hotel Kilkenny aswell, whatever the road is called where Rustiq is situated. hope this helps

Autosport wrote: »
    Kennyswell rd is also free, Hotel Kilkenny aswell, whatever the road is called where Rustiq is situated. hope this helps

Suggesting people park in hotel Kilkenny's carpark while working in kilkenny is bang out of order imho,

Suggesting people park in hotel Kilkenny's carpark while working in kilkenny is bang out of order imho,

I'd imagine would end up getting clamped if parked there everyday. People notice these things.

road_high wrote: »
    I'd imagine would end up getting clamped if parked there everyday. People notice these things.

To be honest I'd hope so,
    I've actually seen Hotel Kilkenny stop people coming in the entrance in the morning to stop people doing just what Autosport has suggested

People asked about free parking and I only answered if you don't want to park in certain car parks then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

You'll be able to get a space if you're there before 8.30am

Hi All,

Thanks you for all your views, I appreciate the response.

I simply cannot afford the cost of the car park, and am prepared to walk quite a distance as I could do with the exercise. I am quite sensible (read boring and predictable... :) ) and am a safe driver and would not take up residential space, space in a hotel etc.

I value your comments and finish my job this week, and yes - 2 euro a day would break me - I know its tough when that amount could break you, sad but true,

thanks again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

This pisses me off no end. Try being resident and struggling for parking.

Well firstly I am a resident. Secondly, motor tax paying citizens have a right to legally park anywhere, even if it's right outside your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

It might be "legal" but it isn't a nice thing to do. Park outside people's houses for the whole day but its ok once you don't have to pay for your parking.
    And quite a few of those cars are not parked outside houses, they're parked dangerously on the road right at the green area.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

It might be "legal" but it isn't a nice thing to do. Park outside people's houses for the whole day but its ok once you don't have to pay for your parking.
    And quite a few of those cars are not parked outside houses, they're parked dangerously on the road right at the green area.

If a car is parked dangerously all day as you described, you should let the guards know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

OP I'm not living too far from Patricks St it's maybe 10 mins walking ill rent you my car space for a nominal fee lets say 1.50 per day and I don't mind if you have no motor tax or if you park sideways I promise I won't tell on you. :p

In all seriousness tho you could try park up behind Mcdonalds they say it's a clamping zone but tbh iv never seen anyone get clamped there.

hi guys,

update

I park my car 5 minutes from the office - free parking - on street. there are shops and there are no houses or gates being blocked or anything. You can get spaces at least up to 9am,

Happy days and thanks again

still a newbie to Kilkenny - but fab city to work in, :P

Advertisement