Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring to UCD for 3rd year

Options
  • 15-10-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi, little dilemma, I'm currently in year 2 of a BA in business and management in Griffith college, however I've become concerned at several obstacles I may face in the jobs market upon completion, the first being that even though my degree is accredited by HETAC, the opinion on the ground is while that's all fine and dandy, prospect employers will "run a mile" if they learn I didn't complete my degree in UCD Michael smurfit business school. You might say fair enough Opinions are like assholes, we all have one, but by and large this is what I'm getting, granted its from older men who are from a generation past...what I mean is in terms of alumni, Griffith wouldn't have as* many in as* many prominent positions out there as it stands today, therefore limiting the pool of potential employment opportunities...

My question is if I was to consider transferring for my third year (next year) what are the prerequisites in terms of grades, chances of being afforded a place in 3rd year etc or is it as simple as just transferring....

Thanks again lads....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its not all that simple. You have to be at the same 'standard' as what a student in UCD would be at going into 3rd year. Thats not to say its impossible, its just a comparison of modules and prior learning. You are best off approaching the program office in UCD that deals with business. And even better, call by in person.

But in my view, you would be better off completing your degree where you are and then doing a 'high flying' masters in a particular field that interests you. Base degree's don't even come into it when you have a decent Masters and in the world today, your probably going to need one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jordans n Timbs

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its not all that simple. You have to be at the same 'standard' as what a student in UCD would be at going into 3rd year. Thats not to say its impossible, its just a comparison of modules and prior learning. You are best off approaching the program office in UCD that deals with business. And even better, call by in person.

But in my view, you would be better off completing your degree where you are and then doing a 'high flying' masters in a particular field that interests you. Base degree's don't even come into it when you have a decent Masters and in the world today, your probably going to need one anyway.

Thanks for the response, if I were to do this could I then go straight into a masters degree at UCD, I've heard it said they require 3 years worth of work experience before you can obtain a spot, not sure how much credence I give that but maybe somebody here could shed some light....

An MBA was always the goal from day one but I feel like Griffith might be a waste of money given they don't have the most Herculean reputation out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Masters don't require prior work experience other than the MBA assuming you meet the academic admission requirement. Pursue the masters route, I doubt you'd be able to change to 3rd as 2nd year of the BComm degree counts for 30% of the degree assessment. I do know of people though who transferred into second year from other colleges such as Dun Laoghire. A masters from Smurfit would add a lot more weight to your CV than a BComm from Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Hi, little dilemma, I'm currently in year 2 of a BA in business and management in Griffith college, however I've become concerned at several obstacles I may face in the jobs market upon completion, the first being that even though my degree is accredited by HETAC, the opinion on the ground is while that's all fine and dandy, prospect employers will "run a mile" if they learn I didn't complete my degree in UCD Michael smurfit business school. You might say fair enough Opinions are like assholes, we all have one, but by and large this is what I'm getting, granted its from older men who are from a generation past...what I mean is in terms of alumni, Griffith wouldn't have as* many in as* many prominent positions out there as it stands today, therefore limiting the pool of potential employment opportunities...

My question is if I was to consider transferring for my third year (next year) what are the prerequisites in terms of grades, chances of being afforded a place in 3rd year etc or is it as simple as just transferring....

Thanks again lads....

Smurfit is exclusively a postgraduate business school.

Enquire about transferring into BComm but I wouldn't get you hopes up.

Advertisement