Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep.Ireland v Kazakhstan KO 19:45 *Mod Note Post #125*

• 15-10-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Well this terrible campaign comes to an end tonight with the visit of the mighty kazaks,

What are we in store for tonight?

Surely nothing but an easy win:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Will a win in this having any bearing whatsoever on the seedings for the Euros 2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Will a win in this having any bearing whatsoever on the seedings for the Euros 2016?

I think a win is needed for them to be 2nd seeds for Euro 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Yeah, there's a few teams hovering on the edge of a 2/3 place in the seedings so we really need to win it.

Hopefully we can finish out the group with a win, but I don't think it'll be pretty. It's been the worst campaign I can remember anyway. 4 defeats and not within a whiff of a play-off place.Shocking really, even with all the talk of lowering expectations I don't think anyone could argue that we should've beaten Austria and Sweden at home. I admire what Trap achieved, but do think after the Euros would've been the best time to part ways, the team needed someone to give them confidence and belief after that and unfortunately Trap isn't the most inspiring of characters.

I'll go for a 2-1 again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's our worst campaign since 1986 qualifying. It's also our worst squad since, jaysus, 1970?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

gustafo wrote: »
    I think a win is needed for them to be 2nd seeds for Euro 2016

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/1014/opinion/seeds-of-hope-for-france-2016-246264.html

Ireland definitely need to win, but they need a couple of other results to go their way from other Groups as well, if they are to get a 2nd seed spot. Would be a real bonus to get a 2nd seed spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I predict a great success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's our worst campaign since 1986 qualifying. It's also our worst squad since, jaysus, 1970?

Surely the Euro 2008 campaign was worse than this one, the 5-1 hammering by Cyprus, the late late injury time winner v San Marino etc

Surely the Euro 2008 campaign was worse than this one, the 5-1 hammering by Cyprus, the late late injury time winner v San Marino etc

:o

Nope, you're right. I clearly wiped it from my memory. That was with a decently stronger squad than what's available now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

3-0 for no other reason than im hopeing i wont fall asleep half way through again this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even if we were in position for a second seed placing in the Euros after tonight....the play-offs would surely complicate things further?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

i reckon ireland should win but King's 'system' is little more than a joke tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Although there were some shambolic performances in that campaign for sure, I don't think it was quite as bad as this one. For a start there were 7 teams in the group ; Ireland, Germany, Slovakia, Czech republic, Cyprus, Wales & San Marino, so it was an unusually long campaign.

We lost 3 times, aside from the embarrassing 5-2 defeat to Cyprus, we actually played quite well against Germany, only losing 1-0 and at that it was a very unfortunate deflection. 1-0 away to Czech Republic was hardly the worst result either.We were reasonably consistant with the rest of our results in that group and hovered in and out of contention for a play-off place right until the end.

This time was very different, some of the performances were horrific. The only convincing wins came against the Faroes, we scraped past Kazak, weren't even competitive against Germany (9-1 on aggregate) and allowed both Austria and Sweden to take points home from Dublin when we had the upper hand in both games. This is the first time I can remember us finsihing with a negative goal difference too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some dead rubber game this but will watch as always.

Anyone know how the ticket sales are going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I've tortured myself enough this campaign by looking at the Ireland games so I think I'll be tuning in to see how England fair against Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Bumper crowd in the Aviva no doubt. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'll be there tonight in the vantage club, having a few prawn sandwiches and pints at the bar, while the match goes on outside. I hope the weathers fair! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

3-0 win and a brace for Keane. Kazakh's quite poor on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I think our lowest home gate since moving back into Lansdowne was 15k v Northern Ireland. I wonder will that be beaten tonight?
    daRobot wrote: »
    I predict a great success.

360_borat_lebanon0109.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

roanoke wrote: »
    I think our lowest home gate since moving back into Lansdowne was 15k v Northern Ireland. I wonder will that be beaten tonight?

Ive heard from so many over the last few years that the only reason they dont go support the team is that trap is in charge so i fully expect to see a sell out tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as someone who supported Ireland , in the pre Jack era , standing in the rain at Dallymount , I havn't been so unexcited about an Irish team in my life - I'm just despondent with the team , the FAI - can't even put put my finger exactly on what is causing the dissallusionment - its not just the lack of quality of the players , maybe it is that such average players earn so much , maybe its since Saipan , that Irish footaball just got broke , for me , anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ive heard from so many over the last few years that the only reason they dont go support the team is that trap is in charge so i fully expect to see a sell out tonight.

Well I stopped during the Staunton period because basically it had been dreadful for a few years. Must have attended approx 80 home games up until that point and I enjoyed about 3 of those. International football can be dire at times but some of those home games were something else.

It would have to be a three figure sum to entice me to go tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just think of tonights game as the first "qualifier" for Euro 2016, in that a win may help obtain a Pot 2 seeding which would be huge.

That's me excited anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Optimistic there. Lucky if it hits 20,000, and I'd say there will be a lot of free tickets/schoolboy tickets padding out the attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Do you really? Care to put money on that? Even a friendly wager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Optimistic there. Lucky if it hits 20,000, and I'd say there will be a lot of free tickets/schoolboy tickets padding out the attendance.

Loads of tickets on sale on Tickemaster right now, all around the ground

8-10 wrote: »
    Do you really? Care to put money on that? Even a friendly wager?

He was being sarcastic while making a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

bizmark wrote: »
    He was being sarcastic while making a point

Didn't get that at all. I'd say it's more the economics than the manager that is keeping fans away. That's why I haven't been going for the last few campaigns and I live within a mile of the Aviva!

id love to go tonight but i live in cork so at the very minimum it would cost up around 90 euro for the trip and lowest priced seat in the stadium and thats being optimistic on travel costs food and so on

I just cant justify that id love to see them play a game or two in limerick or cork city but will never happen for any number of reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

It's the first Irish squad I can remember that's lacking any top class players whatsoever and this really should be setting off some alarm bells in the FAI. That said, relative to other international sides, I don't think it's that bad a squad. Certainly relative to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. But, I can't see too many more gems coming through the ranks so long as Irish footballers view playing in England as the absolute be all and end all.

Anyway, that's a discussion for another thread.

• Advertisement

I can't believe the cheapest seats are €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

djpbarry wrote: »
    I can't believe the cheapest seats are €35.

Yeah I know. I understand that they can't exactly start giving them away as its unfair on season ticket holders, but it's very expensive for an absolute nothing game.

I've been living abroad for three years and this would be my first chance to go to a match in the new Lansdowne, but I really resent paying the FAI €35 to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Trampas

Attendance numbers tonight will include players, officials, Gardai, stewards, press and tickets sold instead of the number of people through the turnstiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

The only thing we can look forward to tonight is the potential hilarity of some head the ball running onto the pitch in a luminescent lime green mankini, fake tash and wig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Bumper crowd in the Aviva no doubt. :pac:

Best fans in the World eh? ;)

My season ticket is going spare tonight (free obviously) if any regular here wants it; PM and we'll try work something out. Won a balls.ie competition to bring that giant 3 jersey onto the pitch with tickets etc so that's why its going spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Is anybody gonna watch this?

At least in the Engerland v Poland game there's something to play for.

Both games could be dire tho.

I don't know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Is anybody gonna watch this?

At least in the Engerland v Poland game there's something to play for.

Both games could be dire tho.

I don't know what to do.

Probably hop from one to the other Kerrigooney ;)

briany wrote: »
    The only thing we can look forward to tonight is the potential hilarity of some head the ball running onto the pitch in a luminescent lime green mankini, fake tash and wig.
    Can we expect to see your performance before or after Kazakhstan take the lead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For those deriding the possbile attendance, id reckon as a whole we have one of the best attended national teams for these qualifiers, especially relative to country size.

International games as a whole are not that well attended. Spain for example seemed to only get 45k in the Vincente Calderon for a qualifier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

even I can't remember beyond 1970, but from talking to my dad , I'd say this is possibly the worst Irish squad EVER ? - that '86 team would have been like Brazil in comparison to the present bunch - lawrenson, stapleton, cascarino, brady , beglin , whelan, o'leary , moran, mcgrath , sheedy, quinn - the nucleus of the '88 team , that for me , was our greatest team EVER.

thebaz wrote: »
    ...cascarino...
    Let's not lose the run of ourselves altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I was going to bring my dad,brother and daughter to the match tonight because they have never been at the new ground

120.00 euro i dont think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

As an avid follower of the international team, I feel quite a bit of apathy towards this game. Didn't think I'd ever say it but there it is. I go to nearly all the home games but never really considered going to this one.

Simply put, it's a combination of the fact that we can't qualify and have an interim manager that makes it a complete non-event. There will be no new man at the helm to analyse or systems to discuss and any player brought in or left out is irrelevant because a new man will be at the helm for the next game.

I'm hoping the FAI appoint somebody within the next month or two so we can all get excited about the next campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Team been named yet?? or is Kingy gonna wait till 10 minutes before kick off like last Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

shane long @Shanelong009

Cowboy!! Nuff said....

I think Long might not be starting tonight...

Hope I'm wrong and I'm reading something in to nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mars Bar wrote: »

Maybe he's playing up front on his own. The Lone Ranger role.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jeffery lebowski

Mars Bar wrote: »

I know its a radical idea - but if Long stuck the ball in the net the odd time when he was selected it may have been a better way to keep his place than childish and unprofessional abuse on twitter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I know its a radical idea - but if Long stuck the ball in the net the odd time when he was selected it may have been a better way to keep his place than childish and unprofessional abuse on twitter..

He's more likely to score than anyone else except for keane.....and Long has had some great games for us in this campaign. I remember him absolutely terrorising Austria. He's very quick, has great movement and is remarkably good in the air for a man his size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Kirby wrote: »
    He's more likely to score than anyone else except for keane.....and Long has had some great games for us in this campaign. I remember him absolutely terrorising Austria. He's very quick, has great movement and is remarkably good in the air for a man his size.

You know yourself. A few poor performances and suddenly he is a terrible player. It seems to be a trend in modern football that a few good games your a world beater and a few bad your crap.

I support Leeds utd and when the season began McDermott could do no wrong and after a difficult month some of the Leeds support are calling for his head. Its Crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Noel King's team v Kazakhstan has just been announced: Forde,Coleman,Dunne, O'Shea,Wilson,Gibson,McCarthy,Reid, Stokes, Doyle, Keane

Wtf

Noel King's team v Kazakhstan has just been announced: Forde,Coleman,Dunne, O'Shea,Wilson,Gibson,McCarthy,Reid, Stokes, Doyle, Keane

Wtf

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement