Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep.Ireland v Kazakhstan KO 19:45 *Mod Note Post #125*

1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

jacool wrote: »
    They said that because they didn't receive any comment from him directly, they fired him. He had only spoken to the media apparently, so everyone's right, sort of.
    I don't think he's in the running for the Ireland job though, because he doesn't get on with the media!!

Looks like a personality parting of the ways type thing. Very odd to sack a manager and replace him with the U21 manager, when the team is facing play-offs to qualify for the World Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

fryup wrote: »
    oh ya, can you elaborate

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/i-didnt-break-eamon-dunphys-nose-he-ran-away-too-quick-noel-king-29667670.html

This guy needs to leave now before he embarrasses himself & the association any further. When you have guys like him in positions of authority its no surprise Irish football is in the state its in. Delaney needs to go too asap.
    Absolute fools of the highest order.

leonidas83 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/i-didnt-break-eamon-dunphys-nose-he-ran-away-too-quick-noel-king-29667670.html

This guy needs to leave now before he embarrasses himself & the association any further. When you have guys like him in positions of authority its no surprise Irish football is in the state its in. Delaney needs to go too asap.
    Absolute fools of the highest order.

King is letting himself down and making himself look like a nasty piece of work in these few days that he has been interim manager. He seems to be obsessed about settling old scores, the quicker it's over for him the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

While King was out of order in his interview the other night, I don't see much wrong with what is in the Indo to be honest. He was answering a question and did it tongue in cheek. No big deal.

So pointless that their manager got sacked after it. Those Croats are fairly ruthless!!

It was meaningless from a competitive standpoint. So it's a bit foolish to use it as a basis to in any way say "We could be beating top teams and teams at our level regularly".

The fact that their manager got the sack after 12 months in charge and that they lost 4 of their last 7 games also indicates that the Croats aren't the force they were.

There is nothing wrong with going out with an attitude that says we can beat anyone. It's the least I'd expect from the players and the manager. But when you sit back and evaluate it, you can't sack managers every time we don't qualify for something or call for a clear out of the players. If you do that, we'll be forever changing personnel. It's also a cop out to say that a "lack of passion, effort and/or belief" are the reasons that we don't qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Christ, maybe it was best Trap couldn't speak much English.

The tripe King has come out with in the space of 5 days is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

King seems to be happy to play the role of a small time kid who has "made it" (albeit for 2 matches!) and is using that to show all the lads he had problems with that he is a big dog now.

After only two poor enough performances in your career you cant act like you are SAF with decades of success behind you.
    He could have just waffled on about transition, said a win is a win, playing the players there was an experiment and all would have blown over.

He didnt; instead he wanted to make the most of his 15mins and acted like a child. Selecting players based on their ability to "wear the green jersey" is just about as low as you can go.

I'd worry about what exactly goes on with the U21 squad with him in charge tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd worry about what exactly goes on with the U21 squad with him in charge tbh.

We lose matches, lots of them. We don't maximise the team as a stepping stone to the senior team either. He's still doing better than Don Givens did though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Darron Gibson will definitely be absent and is unlikely to play again this season after confirmation that he injured his cruciate ligament in Tuesday's encounter.

Feel bad for Gibson.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We lose matches, lots of them. We don't maximise the team as a stepping stone to the senior team either. He's still doing better than Don Givens did though.

I don't know a huge amount about Noel King but in the campaign before this we had a 50% win ratio which was the joint best we've ever had and the best we've done in about a decade. He also presided over our biggest Under 21 win (5-0 v Estonia) didn't he?

In that 5-0, Anthony Stokes, James McCarthy and Seamus Coleman all scored so there are players coming through the Under 21s.

Whatever about King's suitability to the senior role, the man is not an idiot.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I don't know a huge amount about Noel King but in the campaign before this we had a 50% win ratio which was the joint best we've ever had and the best we've done in about a decade. He also presided over our biggest Under 21 win (5-0 v Estonia) didn't he?

In that 5-0, Anthony Stokes, James McCarthy and Seamus Coleman all scored so there are players coming through the Under 21s.

I'd say there is a good chance that he's not an idiot, but he's doing a good job in the last few days making himself look like one.

Lennonist wrote: »
    I'd say there is a good chance that he's not an idiot, but he's doing a good job in the last few days making himself look like one.

Sadly he is. Lack of knowledge on how to deal with this level of media attention though I suspect. With all due respect to the fella, he's managed in LOI, the women's team and under 21. He has never had this attention or scrutiny before and he obviously has no idea how to deal with it. When you look at how Trap dealt with O'Donoghue, that's a pro at work despite the lack of English.

I hear people say all the time that someone should stick it to RTE. But when you do it, unless your very articulate and composed, you look like an idiot and King isn't particularly articulate and he wasn't composed the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DeanAustin wrote: »

Competitive fixtures under King:

Ireland 5 - 0 Estonia
    Switzerland 1 - 0 Ireland
    Turkey 1 - 0 Ireland

Ireland 2 - 1 Hungary
    Turkey 1 - 0 Ireland
    Liechtenstein 1 - 4 Ireland
    Ireland 2 - 0 Liechtenstein
    Ireland 2 - 2 Italy
    Ireland 0 - 1 Turkey
    Hungary 2 - 1 Ireland
    Italy 2 - 4 Ireland

Faroe Islands 1 - 4 Ireland
    Ireland 0 - 4 Germany
    Romania 0 - 0 Ireland
    Ireland 0 - 1 Romania
    ** Excluding these two games as he was busy with the Senior team

Played 13, W 6, L 6, D1, F 24, A 17

He's doing alright, like I understand he's generally done with the FAI over the years. The U17 women had a great run but it was a once in a generation collection of players. He's never had real pressure, and he's never really achieved anything greater than the sum of the parts of the players he's been working with.

He's definitely not an idiot and the FAI needs guys like him in its current guise, but in an ideal utopia we'd have the kind of coaching talent available at all levels that would see him unable to get the U21 job.

Advertisement