Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating a 1970s two storey house - how do my estimates look>

• 15-10-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a 1970s two storey detached house which I intend to completely renovate and extend (using a contractor).

Regarding the renovation costs I am trying to come up with some reasonable initial estimates for the renovation costs only from trying to remember costs of building my current house. Any comments on these costs would be greatly appreciated. Also if you can think of other costs I have forgotten please let me know.

The main section of the house is 1600sq. foot and there is an ugly extension of approx. 700 sq, foot which we plan to demolish.

Estimates:
    Demolition of extension and removal €2500
    Reslate roof €8000
    Replace fascia and soffit and gutters (upvc black) €2500
    Instal Solar panels €5000
    Instal 2/3 velux windows in roof €1000
    Drylining inside €5000
    Replumb house (new gas boiler, new rads, etc €8000
    Rewire house €8000
    New upvc windows, front & back doors and 2 sets of patio doors €10000
    New oak doors, architraves and skirting €7000
    Replaster front of house (over ugly bricks) €1500
    Blockwork and plaster where moving 3 windows €3000
    Total €61,500

Labour included in above.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

No feedback at all???
    Any takers please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Kitchen? Fixtures & Fittings? Bathrooms? Tiles? Tiler? Flooring? Any heating other than the oil boiler?? etc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a 1970s two storey detached house which I intend to completely renovate and extend (using a contractor).

Regarding the renovation costs I am trying to come up with some reasonable initial estimates for the renovation costs only from trying to remember costs of building my current house. Any comments on these costs would be greatly appreciated. Also if you can think of other costs I have forgotten please let me know.

The main section of the house is 1600sq. foot and there is an ugly extension of approx. 700 sq, foot which we plan to demolish.

Estimates:
    Demolition of extension and removal €2500
    Reslate roof €8000
    Replace fascia and soffit and gutters (upvc black) €2500
    Instal Solar panels €5000
    Instal 2/3 velux windows in roof €1000
    Drylining inside €5000
    Replumb house (new gas boiler, new rads, etc €8000
    Rewire house €8000
    Replaster front of house (over ugly bricks) €1500
    Blockwork and plaster where moving 3 windows €3000
    Total €61,500

Labour included in above.

I would say you are close on all those estimates.
    Possibly a bit over on those I have highlighted in red and a bit under on the ones in blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi,

Estimates:
    Demolition of extension and removal €2500 €1750.
    Reslate roof €8000 €12000/€14000 Note if your old slates are Asbestos allow another €2000 for disposal
    Replace fascia and soffit and gutters (upvc black) €2500 €2000
    Instal Solar panels €5000 €4500 - Seai Grant of €850.00 = €3650.00
    Instal 2/3 velux windows in roof €1000 €1500
    Drylining inside €5000-€8000
    Replumb house (new gas boiler, new rads, etc €8000 €6000-€7000 Seai Grant of €560.00
    Rewire house €8000 €5000 on average for a bungalow
    Replaster front of house (over ugly bricks) €1500 €750 - €1000
    Blockwork and plaster where moving 3 windows €3000 €1750 - €2500
    Total €61,500 ?????

Labour and Materials included in above.

Hope this helps but you will also need to take into account where you live???

Where are you based??

All the best Cc

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hope this helps but you will also need to take into account where you live???

Where are you based??

All the best Cc

Thanks CCSOLAR. We are based in Limerick, juSt outside the City. Should this make a diff to your figures?

• Advertisement

Just wondering about the roof. At it currently stands there isn't enough height under the roof to convert the attic space into bedroom space. If it's going to cost us €12 - €14k to reslate roof should we pay a bit more to change the structure of the roof to get a bedroom or two up there. How much extra might that cost but would it work out cheaper than extending onto the side of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Hi, just finished building a 2 story, 220sq m house. Some items I remember;
    Cut Roof 110sq m area covered + all upstairs stud work=9k
    includes labour and materials. Fiber cement slates.

Solar 1.6k for 30 tubes,manifold, controller,sensors, piping, mounting brackets, fluid. (everything needed) no grant :( roofers installed panel, plumbers did the rest.

19 windows + 2 patio doors, front 90mm hard wood teak door with glass side panels, back door. + 1 large 4m wide 3 panel window with triangular top section, 3m to apex. All triple glazed with u value of .76 = 10k

Thanks CCSOLAR. We are based in Limerick, juSt outside the City. Should this make a diff to your figures?

Hi Jane
    Material & labour costs can vary, depending on the city
    Dublin would have a higher costing due to running costs, rent and materials
    The figures you were given are based on a standard bungalow been renovated at present in Newcastle west co limerick

Cc

Hi, just finished building a 2 story, 220sq m house. Some items I remember;
    Cut Roof 110sq m area covered + all upstairs stud work=9k
    includes labour and materials. Fiber cement slates.

Solar 1.6k for 30 tubes,manifold, controller,sensors, piping, mounting brackets, fluid. (everything needed) no grant :( roofers installed panel, plumbers did the rest.

19 windows + 2 patio doors, front 90mm hard wood teak door with glass side panels, back door. + 1 large 4m wide 3 panel window with triangular top section, 3m to apex. All triple glazed with u value of .76 = 10k

The 9k roof cost - did that include slates or was that just the woodwork and upstairs stud work cost?

Just wondering about the roof. At it currently stands there isn't enough height under the roof to convert the attic space into bedroom space. If it's going to cost us €12 - €14k to reslate roof should we pay a bit more to change the structure of the roof to get a bedroom or two up there. How much extra might that cost but would it work out cheaper than extending onto the side of the house.
    Hi
    Yes if your going to re slate the roof then you would be better to go for a full reroof and get 3-4 extra rooms upstairs, depending on your existing area, when I converted my own attic we increased the pitch from 30 degrees to 40 degrees and got 2 large bedrooms, 1 medium bedroom , 1 medium bathroom and 1 ensuite
    This was an excellent return on our investment and we have full ceiling height in 2/3 of the rooms.
    In order to prevent excess weight on the old foundations as the house was 1930"s we constructed the gables out of timber frame.
    The only major problem we had was locating the stairs, we went for a spiral stairs in the end which now adds to the character of the whole house.
    Pm me with your email and I can send you some photos.

Cc

• Advertisement

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi
    Yes if your going to re slate the roof then you would be better to go for a full reroof and get 3-4 extra rooms upstairs, depending on your existing area, when I converted my own attic we increased the pitch from 30 degrees to 40 degrees and got 2 large bedrooms, 1 medium bedroom , 1 medium bathroom and 1 ensuite
    This was an excellent return on our investment and we have full ceiling height in 2/3 of the rooms.
    In order to prevent excess weight on the old foundations as the house was 1930"s we constructed the gables out of timber frame.
    The only major problem we had was locating the stairs, we went for a spiral stairs in the end which now adds to the character of the whole house.
    Pm me with your email and I can send you some photos.

Cc

Thanks. I don't know feasibly how many rooms we could get up there as house is qite narrow (about 21 feet) and only 40 feet long but I will certainly ask my architect to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 winterrain

HI, we have an old two storey house which is been lived in by my inlaws, The whole house needs to be replumbed as it has old piping it is 2200 sq ft and has the old thick walls its over 100 years old. there is a boiler in the boiler house and oil heater but the boiler would be old.theres 12 radiators in the house which seem to be eroded. how much do you think it could cost to replumb and what other problems should we envisage ? There is also an old electric fuse box but if we had to rewire what cost would you say that would be as the wires seem to run from the pole along the outside of the house into the porch were the fuse box is. any information at all would be great
    thanks

Advertisement