Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False Widow spiders spotted in Waterford

Options
  • 15-10-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

hi folks just spotted this on wlrs newsfeed

Next on DEISE AM. One of our national newspapers reported over the weekend that there have been several sightings of a very dangerous spider called the 'false widow' here in Waterford!

A person took pictures of them in slieverue sent it to Dublin zoo who confirmed they were false widows.

Nasty little buggers so just be careful

heres what they look like

35099.jpg

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Escaped from cargo of fresh fruit?

(how awful a presenter is Billy McCarthy? 30 years doing this and still cannot complete a sentence, its a trial for the listener.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are they really "very dangerous" though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Heard somewhere that these spider were in the UK for 50+ years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Wikipedia article about symptoms of the bite of the false widow and some cases of bites and there consequences
    Like almost all spiders, Steatoda nobilis is venomous, but the bite is almost exclusively of mild effect on humans, without severe consequences that can present from black widow spiders. Its bite is often alleged to be one of the medically significant for humans, even though the few recorded bites do not typically present long-lasting effects. The symptoms of a bite are typically similar to a bee or wasp sting. The bite of this spider, along with others in the genus Steatoda, can produce a set of symptoms known as steatodism. Symptoms of bites include intense pain radiating from the bite site, along with feverishness or general malaise. Only the female spider bites humans.

Sensationalised stories about the bite of Steatoda nobilis have featured in UK newspaper articles. Stuart Hine from the Natural History Museum, London responded on the naturenet blog, stating, "Of course I also explain the great value of spiders and how rare the event of spider bite in the UK actually is. I also always explain that up to 12 people die from wasp/bee stings in the UK each year and we do not panic so much about wasps and bees – but this never makes it past editing." [16] Steven Falk, an entomologist, cautioned that without "hard evidence", it is difficult to know how many of the bites reported in the media have been caused by false widow spiders.

Alleged incidents

In 2006 a Dorchester man spent three days in Dorset County Hospital with symptoms of heart seizure, after suffering a spider bite believed to be caused by Steatoda nobilis.

In 2012 a man collapsed in Southampton after apparently being bitten on his neck. He had complained of feeling hot, queasy and light headed. He required treatment in hospital, where it was discovered that he had been bitten 10 times on the neck, allegedly by the same large spider. The spider (which had been trapped in the victim's hooded jacket) was caught and tentatively identified by health workers as Steatoda nobilis.

In 2012 a woman in Dorset suffered serious effects after her hand was supposedly bitten by a false widow spider.

In 2013 a man in Sidcup of London was allegedly bitten in his sleep, reporting that his hand had turned black and yellow. His hand remained swollen for five weeks until doctors gave him a course of antibiotics.

In October 2013, it was reported that a man from Romford in Essex had been bitten by a false widow. He was treated with antibiotics and needed to have his leg drained of pus.
    Shin

This has been blow massively out of proportion by the media. The spider is not "very dangerous"! It can cause a serious reaction if allergic to its venom, but most people will be fine if bitten, with symthoms subsiding after a couple of days.

Typical Daily Mail crap glorifying something which I wouldn't even consider news. The False Widows have been in the UK 100+ years, yet only making media now? That alone should show the Daily Mail are doing it for a shock factor.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/species-of-the-day/biodiversity/alien-species/steatoda-nobilis/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

There is some really lazy (and terrible) journalism concerning this subject of late. I'd imagine there is a huge proportion of misidentified sightings out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

There is some really lazy (and terrible) journalism concerning this subject of late. I'd imagine there is a huge proportion of misidentified sightings out there.
    Eh....did you not read the OP?
    BILLY MCCARTHY has reported on it, so your post must be wrong! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHWDaiR30UI

Adolf reacts to the news about False Widow spiders ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

There is one in my shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

One keeps me company when having a smoke out the back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Just found this chappie in my kitchen, not sure if it's definitely a false widow but looks very similar.... queue mass hysteria anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

shinzon wrote: »
    hi folks just spotted this on wlrs newsfeed

Next on DEISE AM. One of our national newspapers reported over the weekend that there have been several sightings of a very dangerous spider called the 'false widow' here in Waterford!

A person took pictures of them in slieverue sent it to Dublin zoo who confirmed they were false widows.

I think we're all missing something more worrying here. Since when was Slieverue in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

rayc wrote: »
    Just found this chappie in my kitchen, not sure if it's definitely a false widow but looks very similar.... queue mass hysteria anyway!

Poor fecker is missing a leg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

rayc wrote: »

Not sure of how many colour variants there are, but sure looks very similar with the silver on the back alright, but am no expert tbh

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Just found one of these in my house!

photo5_zpsd9a083e3.jpg

its now a DEAD false widow spider!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Love the bit about the cannibalistic ladybird in the daily mail article

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Dangerous? What a stretch.
    This is exactly how people would react if wasps just started coming over here.

These spiders aren't dangerous. I wish the tabloids would **** off already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ladder0421

Found one in my Car today in west waterford Clashmore area !! nasty looking spiders easy to spot them though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

As an Aussie living in Ireland I'm thrilled there are now spiders here that can give you a little nibble. Bring on the snakes and sharks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

jbwan wrote: »
    I think we're all missing something more worrying here. Since when was Slieverue in Waterford?

You've opened a can of spiders there!

Anyway, it's north of the river, and the spiders can't get across to the south side... or could they???

Edit: maybe they've already started to move towards the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

fricatus wrote: »

Anyway, it's north of the river, and the spiders can't get across to the south side... or could they???

Sure once they get to the quay, they'll get so confused, they'll turn around!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

fricatus wrote: »

I've heard unconfirmed reports that they're already working on large walking machines in an attempt to cross the mighty Suir. A Kilkenny native suggested they use the catflap instead and sneak in the back way (a scheme that had worked well for him in recent years) but seemingly the toll was deemed too high for 8-legged (or 4-axled) creatures. "€6 each way, you must be joking", said a spokespider for the group, the work on the walking machines continues...

Advertisement