Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lab pup sleeping outside?

• 15-10-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I know this has been asked quite a bit but since the answer depends on so many variables I wanted to ask for my case. We have a 4 and a half month old male lab. Up until now he has slept in a crate in the utility room, but he's too big for the crate. I'm fine with him staying in the utility in a bed but my girlfriend wants him to sleep outside at night now. We did buy him a lovely kennel, covered the floor in layers of thick, measured cardboard, put a plastic bed in there with plenty of comfy bedding. But, at his age, at this time of year is it going to be too cold for him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Do you mind me asking why you got the Dog. Was it primarily for Security?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Sorry, that's an important one to have left out. No, we got him as a pet. Now having read plenty of other posts on this topic I know this will illicit a cry from people of "if he's a pet then he's part of the family and shouldn't be outside", to which another group will come back and say "he's a dog, not a child and fine outside". I hope this thread doesn't go that way like so many others because I know it can be subjective.
    I guess I'm looking more for details about when his coat, fat etc. will be ample enough to be comfortable outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

a porcelain hot water bottle like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/28847572@N06/4742888000/in/photostream/ wrapped up in a towel in the kennel will keep the pup warm and cosy. My mother picked up one of these at fairyhouse market for €10 and says she sees them alot at sunday markets - keep an eye out. If your buying one, make sure there is a rubber washer on the screw so it doesnt leak. works like a dream... of course pup might yelp a bit at the start because he wont understand why he is not inside anymore but should quiet down. Did the same with our pup after three months... wont get into the kennell at night without it, perfect for winter.

Obviously... an average hot water bottle dogs could chew through and scald themselves ... you would need a porcelain one... still semi warm in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

robocode wrote: »
    Sorry, that's an important one to have left out. No, we got him as a pet. Now having read plenty of other posts on this topic I know this will illicit a cry from people of "if he's a pet then he's part of the family and shouldn't be outside", to which another group will come back and say "he's a dog, not a child and fine outside". I hope this thread doesn't go that way like so many others because I know it can be subjective.
    I guess I'm looking more for details about when his coat, fat etc. will be ample enough to be comfortable outside.

Well this is the point that you have to decide yourself as the dog owner. What is your dog to you . A family member or a Dog?

Due to it coming into the winter and I would be inclined to say to keep him in until next year.

At 4 1/2 months he is still a pup so again I would say keep him indoors

Also he will have short hair as a Lab so he will feel the cold aie coming into the Kennel no matter how much insolation you put into it .

Thats only my opinion and its your call

once the kennell is sheltered from the wind he should be fine... dogs do adapt to their climate... they lose hair in the summer and grow hair in the winter. if you keep him inside in the heat he may not grow his winter coat. They are animals and are fine outside but it is up to you. feel terrible leaving a dog outside but he should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Personal preferences aside, I think it's getting far too cold for a puppy to be sleeping outside alone. An adult dog might be ok but a 4/5 month old pup would feel the cold a lot more. I think you should keep him inside, at least for the winter. Perhaps you could sell your crate a buy a bigger one?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

we have a lab cross well 2 but in the case of 1 we know where his brother went. he has a loving home and just would not sleep inside, he sleeps outside and has a coat like a bear now, our lad sleeps inside and he has a 'normal' lab coat

now im all for having the dog inside, I wouldnt even contemplate putting them outside to sleep but in this instance the dogs coat did adapt to the outside, but at 4.5 months and the cold spell coming would your GF not consider keeping him inside till spring so he is that bit older and gets used to being outside in the more mild weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I agree with the majority of posters, at his age I think he's too young to be outside over the winter, would a larger crate not fit into your utility room?

He's only a baby and it's getting awful cold

the longer you have a dog in the house the harder it will be to put him outside. I know it seems terrible but you can make him very comfortable outside... it may be too warm for him inside and he struggle to adapt after experiencing your heating on all winter.

Im surprised so many posters believe in keeping a pup inside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I think he is too young to be outside. What is the issue with him staying inside?

I have a lab too but she is a family member and stays in the kitchen at night. My dogs have always been family member and stay indoors at night.

Sadderday wrote: »
    the longer you have a dog in the house the harder it will be to put him outside. I know it seems terrible but you can make him very comfortable outside... it may be too warm for him inside and he struggle to adapt after experiencing your heating on all winter.

You obviously don't spend much time in this forum then :D

I have huskies and they sleep inside, most of them on my bed at night.

We keep the adults inside too, they're family

my dog is family too but the OP is looking for advice and a plausible solution to keeping a pup outside is investing in a porcelain water bottle and keeping him sheltered and he will be fine. My own personal thing is that it isn't hygenic to share space with animals no matter how clean so he is kept outside unless of course its snowing etc etc we would have him in the utility room. It's not a bad thing to have him adjusted to the outdoors and looked after... its a choice for the OP. Doesnt mean the dog isnt part of the family or anything.

my dog is family too but the OP is looking for advice and a plausible solution to keeping a pup outside is investing in a porcelain water bottle and keeping him sheltered and he will be fine. My own personal thing is that it isn't hygenic to share space with animals no matter how clean so he is kept outside unless of course its snowing etc etc we would have him in the utility room. It's not a bad thing to have him adjusted to the outdoors and looked after... its a choice for the OP. Doesnt mean the dog isnt part of the family or anything.

So your dog never goes inside your house?

I'd be concerned with putting a porcelain hot water bottle with a lab pup, a breed well known for their chewing

muddypaws wrote: »
    So your dog never goes inside your house?

I'd be concerned with putting a porcelain hot water bottle with a lab pup, a breed well known for their chewing

Not really no, unless its way in the minus weather we dont feel like we are doing any harm. A porcelain hot water bottle is near impossible to chew through, we wouldnt for example throw in a water bottle from dunnes or pennys. Find pic in previous post. Its an option anyway for the OP at least you know that your dog has a source of warmth.

Not really no, unless its way in the minus weather we dont feel like we are doing any harm. A porcelain hot water bottle is near impossible to chew through, we wouldnt for example throw in a water bottle from dunnes or pennys. Find pic in previous post. Its an option anyway for the OP at least you know that your dog has a source of warmth.

But it has a screw in lid? dunno, I would just be very cautious putting anything with boiling water anywhere near a dog. I've used the animal specific heating pads that you put in the microwave, of course they could also be chewed, but at least there isn't boiling water inside.

Sorry, the OP said they didn't want this to descend into a thread about whether a dog is part of the family or not, but I can't see how, if your dog never spends time with you in the house during the day or night, they are part of the family? Now that's your choice of course, but you said that your dog is family too.

OP, I'm actually not against dogs sleeping outside, if they get plenty of interaction with the family during the day, but I do think that a pup that young would do better inside at night during the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Different strokes for different folks but I personally hate to see any dog left to sleep outside at this time of year. I personally think they get a better nights sleep inside, they aren't woken by every little noise, they are warm, and they aren't annoying anyone by barking. Of course there are exceptions, some dogs really just prefer to stay outdoors, but I couldn't imagine how my fella would deal with it, he has never spent a night outside as long as I have had him, 3 years, he sleeps on his bed which is on my bedroom floor.

muddypaws wrote: »
    But it has a screw in lid? dunno, I would just be very cautious putting anything with boiling water anywhere near a dog. I've used the animal specific heating pads that you put in the microwave, of course they could also be chewed, but at least there isn't boiling water inside.

Sorry, the OP said they didn't want this to descend into a thread about whether a dog is part of the family or not, but I can't see how, if your dog never spends time with you in the house during the day or night, they are part of the family? Now that's your choice of course, but you said that your dog is family too.

OP, I'm actually not against dogs sleeping outside, if they get plenty of interaction with the family during the day, but I do think that a pup that young would do better inside at night during the winter.

he is walked twice a day and has Plenty of interaction with the family. Understanding your preference to have a dog inside... just simply offering advice that may be valuable to the OP. This shouldn't be an indicator of how much you love your dog thats kinda silly. These water bottles are secure enough for humans therefore; animals also... too heavy for a pup to move and wrapped up in a towel or blanket. It would mimic the warmth experienced when sleeping with a litter. we think is perfect for our pup, you may not for yours but hope all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Do you have a run with the kennel? I'd acclimatize him first. Ideally I would start him sleeping outside in the Summer months, but it's still quite mild. I'd start getting him used to the kennel and have a run to go with it. A few hours a day would do otherwise he might cry and cause mischief.We have dogs both inside and out. The pet inside and the working dogs outside and like my username implies, all labradors. When they are old and replaced by a younger dog, they move inside for their retirement. We also keep the pup inside till about 8 months.
    This is for basic training and bonding.
    The pup also has company when she moves into the kennel which helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 sparxx89

How long would one keep a dog outside at this time of year? My 10 month springer sleeps indoors & has someone with her all day but obviously there'll be times where she has to be left alone & she gets really destructive if left inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thanks to everyone for chipping in, great to get your perspectives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

If the little one is crate trained, I'd recommend a bigger crate. Crate training is a positive step forward for life, and he may not re-adjust to sleeping in one if your circumstances change and he ends up having to sleep inside again. And then you have situations like with any surgeries or illnesses - if you have to keep him inside to rehabilitate, chances are he won't want to go outside much. And unless your garden is 100000000% secure, you also have the possibility of someone hopping in and stealing a lab puppy that's excited to see someone so late at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

I've a 4month old lab cross,
    He's been sleeping outside in a kennel since I got him 2 weeks ago,
    and doing great.
    the kennel is insulated and has a separate hallway and sleeping area with transparent rubber flap separating the two so there is not draft issues, I've put cut carpet on the floor on the sleeping area, he has a large plastic basket bed, with carpet on the floor of that and a few old t-shirts and jumpers for blankets.
    If it's really harsh (below zero) I might take him into the back hall temporarily.

My last dog was a golden retriever, she live to 15 years old and never spent a night indoors, even in the freezing winter of '10 and '11, she had a good coat on her.
    The dog before that was a lab mix, always slept outside, but was hit by a car when he was 7 or 8.

Most dogs are hardier than people realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

c-note wrote: »
    I've a 4month old lab cross,
    He's been sleeping outside in a kennel since I got him 2 weeks ago,
    and doing great.
    the kennel is insulated and has a separate hallway and sleeping area with transparent rubber flap separating the two so there is not draft issues, I've put cut carpet on the floor on the sleeping area, he has a large plastic basket bed, with carpet on the floor of that and a few old t-shirts and jumpers for blankets.
    If it's really harsh (below zero) I might take him into the back hall temporarily.

My last dog was a golden retriever, she live to 15 years old and never spent a night indoors, even in the freezing winter of '10 and '11, she had a good coat on her.
    The dog before that was a lab mix, always slept outside, but was hit by a car when he was 7 or 8.

Most dogs are hardier than people realise.

I would not leave carpet with a dog. It is not suitable for dogs that you are not supervising. One of our dogs choked on a piece of carpet. Found him dead. Only 15 months old. A PM Showed he had choked on the carpet.

I only use indestructible bedding now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

Good point Knine,
    He has been chewing on the carpet a bit, I might just swap it out for a rubber mat. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Knine wrote: »
    I would not leave carpet with a dog. It is not suitable for dogs that you are not supervising. One of our dogs choked on a piece of carpet. Found him dead. Only 15 months old. A PM Showed he had choked on the carpet.

I only use indestructible bedding now.

Thats awful but can happen easily alright! Pups will try anything when they are teething.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

To be honest I don't see any huge problem with a dog sleeping outside, even in Winter. Growing up we had various breeds of dog and none slept inside. They never had any health issues. I also have various friends and know people who have dogs that sleep outside 365 days a year with no issue.

My own Labrador sleeps inside most of the time, particularly during the Winter. That said, we have rehomed a Norwegian Elkhound that chooses to sleep outside, even in the worst of weather. If we try to leave her inside for the night she isn't happy at all.

I can only imagine its because our house has underfloor heating so can get warm and I think the heat gets too much for her with her coat. She prefers to sleep on the porch at the front door. It could also be because she's just used to sleeping outside from her previous home.

I would add however that I live in the country and the nearest house is 5 minutes walk away so there's no immediate danger to the dogs being outside. I can see how people living in estates and towns might see it differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

c-note wrote: »
    Good point Knine,
    He has been chewing on the carpet a bit, I might just swap it out for a rubber mat. Thanks

Vet bed is probably the most indestructible safe mat you get can , it's insulating and great for their growing joints. I had one for my 6 year old lab and try as he could he could never destroy it :)

OP, as for leaving the puppy outside I wouldn't in this weather as it is far too cold no matter how many blankets you have. When it reaches spring time it would be safer for him, my lab never liked sleeping inside even as a puppy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

SingItOut wrote: »
    Vet bed is probably the most indestructible safe mat you get can , it's insulating and great for their growing joints. I had one for my 6 year old lab and try as he could he could never destroy it :)

OP, as for leaving the puppy outside I wouldn't in this weather as it is far too cold no matter how many blankets you have. When it reaches spring time it would be safer for him, my lab never liked sleeping inside even as a puppy

My terriers dig the backing off the vet bed. Drives me mad cleaning up all the little bits. Still love it though. It drys so quickly.

Advertisement