Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lab pup sleeping outside?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

We got our pup when he was only 6 weeks old, he's slept outside in a closed garden shed pretty much since then. Evenutally when he was big enough to make sure he'd be fine we left him out in a stable with our old female lab. They're both fine sleeping in the stable in their own beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

We got our pup when he was only 6 weeks old, he's slept outside in a closed garden shed pretty much since then. Evenutally when he was big enough to make sure he'd be fine we left him out in a stable with our old female lab. They're both fine sleeping in the stable in their own beds.

How come you got your pup at 6 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not having a go, but a pup shouldn't be away from their mother and siblings until at least 8 weeks old. The amount of learning and experience in the time they spend with their mother and siblings is a crucial developmental curve for the pup and will stand to him for the rest of his life. And certainly a pup that young, that has been taken early from it's mother should not be sleeping out in a shed alone, any time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

andreac wrote: »

It goes on more than you'd imagine. I rang a seller in NI a few days ago re a Labrador pup for a friend. The pups were only six weeks and two people were collecting their pups that evening I was told.

I asked when could I collect a pup if I bought one and was told to come on down and collect, the pups were ready to go.

That was enough for me to say good luck.

In fairness, I don't think you can blame the buyer either. I recently sold a litter of pups myself and alot of new owners rely on the breeder for guidance. I don't see why people rush letting the pups go other than saving on costs. I had all my pups sold from when they were between three and five weeks and the new owners had no problem waiting once I explained the reasoning behind it.

andreac wrote: »
    Not having a go, but a pup shouldn't be away from their mother and siblings until at least 8 weeks old. The amount of learning and experience in the time they spend with their mother and siblings is a crucial developmental curve for the pup and will stand to him for the rest of his life. And certainly a pup that young, that has been taken early from it's mother should not be sleeping out in a shed alone, any time of year.

Yeah I know, it was very young to be separated. It was actually our neighbour who had gotten the puppy, but after the first day or two his wife couldn't get over the puppy crying all night, don't think she realised that it's expected with it basically being a baby brought into new surroundings. :eek:

He told us he got the pup cheap because apparently it was rejected by its mother. It was also supposed to be a pure bred black lab, but since growing up it's obvious it's mixed with something else. Anyway, he offered him to us since we've got plenty of our own dogs and the space for him.

I agree that dogs are part of the family, and when I eventually get my own place I'd like to have my own dogs who can sleep inside at night. In some circumstances I don't feel that it is necessary for dogs to be kept in at night though. If you have multiple dogs i.e 3+ and sheltered sleeping areas for them outside then there isn't really any problem. Especially if they are big dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have 3 Rottweilers now and all will sleep indoors. I couldn't imagine leaving any dogs outside when weather is cold and wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I agree that dogs are part of the family, and when I eventually get my own place I'd like to have my own dogs who can sleep inside at night. In some circumstances I don't feel that it is necessary for dogs to be kept in at night though. If you have multiple dogs i.e 3+ and sheltered sleeping areas for them outside then there isn't really any problem. Especially if they are big dogs.

I don't think numbers come into it at all. Just because they have companions doesn't mean they fare any better outside, particularly if they are a breed with a fine coat.

I have no problem with dogs that sleep outside IF they get constant stimulation and company from their human companions for most of the day (ie farm dogs, working dogs) but for a dog or dogs that spend all day in a garden while their owner is at work, and maybe get a few hours inside only to be turned back out when their humans go to bed just doesn't give the dog much of a quality of life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This argument comes up again and again. I think it's fairly obvious that some breeds, and some individuals, are physically hardier than others, and do not suffer if they live outside.
    That's fine... I'll accept that this is true.
    But what is always, always glossed over is the dog's mental health. Most dogs do not do well, psychologically, when left on their own for long periods outside. Indeed, having other dogs may help, but for many dogs, it's human attention they really want. They have been deliberately bred for thousands of years now to bond with, and look to humans for emotional support.
    And if they live outside, they just don't get enough of that, unless they are working dogs, and by that I mean working 365 days of the year, for a lot of the day.
    It doesn't matter what size the dog is... Big dogs need lots of social interaction too, so this business of saying it's okay for big dogs to be consigned to a lonely life outside just does not wash.
    I know there are exceptions where dogs prefer to be outside due to their own life experiences, but these dogs are very much the exception.
    I deal with problem behaviours in dogs, and without any shadow of a doubt, dogs that are kept alone feature very, very high on the types of cases I see. It's always the same with them: they develop serious attention-seeking +/or attention-grabbing, +/or destructive, +/or territorial, +/or desperate behaviours, to some extent or another.
    Dogs need social contact, and lots of it. This is non-negotiable.

I don't think numbers come into it at all. Just because they have companions doesn't mean they fare any better outside, particularly if they are a breed with a fine coat.

I have no problem with dogs that sleep outside IF they get constant stimulation and company from their human companions for most of the day (ie farm dogs, working dogs) but for a dog or dogs that spend all day in a garden while their owner is at work, and maybe get a few hours inside only to be turned back out when their humans go to bed just doesn't give the dog much of a quality of life.

I agree with you. Our dogs get a good bit of attention, but like a lot of dog owners, they are often left to their own devices for a large part of the day while I'm away at college, parents at work etc. I believe it really depends on the situation. I honestly think my dogs are just as happy having access to at least an acre of field 24/7 along with the option of going into a stable with their own kennels with bedding whenever they like as dogs that would be kept inside all day and then brought for walks when their owners come home. Like I said though, it really depends on each individuals situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My parents JRT (I think I've posted about him here before) he lives in an insulated dog house beside the boiler in the shed
    When the weather got REALLY cold my parents tried to get him to sleep indoors but he wasn't having it he scratched his way out the utility room door :D
    My parents changed the back door of the house from a PVC one to a wooden one in order to get a dog flap and the little fecker still goes out as soon as night falls
    He will sleep indoors by day but then again he's a bloody loopy dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

ah the poor little thing please keep him indoors treat him as one of the family remember he was taken away from his mother and maybe siblings he will need lots of love and cuddles I have 2 dogs and a cat they live indoors with my husband myself and our 3 little children BLISS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Always kept mine indoors at night too, part of the family. Couldnt leave them outside at night, they do NO harm leaving them indoors at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

You kept him inside for the warm months and now you re kicking him out for the cold months, including Halloween night I presume? What's the issue with your girlfriend leaving him where he was? Is she bored of him already? Jeez!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

Stand up for yourself man, its your dog and your house too! Don't be so mean to the animal!!

Advertisement