Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

According to Eircom Area is Fibre enabled. Vodafone say could be 4 months

• 15-10-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Checked the Eircom map and my area is now Fibre enabled. So I rang vodafone. They said that the area is fibre enabled but my line is not. It could be January before fibre is available for me.

this is driving me mad. I am right in the middle of the green area on the eircom map that says it is enabled. I can see the new cabinet from my front door ~400metres away

How is it that eircom can say the area is enabled whencustomers cant actually get the service. Just so fed up with the cr*p connection I have at the moment. (was happy when I saw the enabled on the map) now really annoyed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Move to eircom is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Did you check your landline number on the eircom line checker?

tarakino wrote: »
    Did you check your landline number on the eircom line checker?

I've found that can be flawed. Sometimes their database links the number to an old address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm in a similar situation, its all green on the eircom map and using their line checker. The cab is no more than 300m from my house (in an estate) and has all its yellow stickers etc. But Vodafone have no idea as of this week when I'll get fibre upgraded. I renewed for another 12 months back in august..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Same here, Donabate areas is green, but me, in the centre of the town, it is not available.

Be careful of Eircom now. I'm with Magnet and they gave me solid information. Rep from Eircom told me I could get it, so if I went ahead with it I'd be in massive trouble, in a contract not getting e-fibre

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Same here, Donabate areas is green, but me, in the centre of the town, it is not available.

Be careful of Eircom now. I'm with Magnet and they gave me solid information. Rep from Eircom told me I could get it, so if I went ahead with it I'd be in massive trouble, in a contract not getting e-fibre

If you sign up on the basis of getting a specific service, and they can't deliver that service, you cancel. Simple as that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

TheDoc wrote: »

Check the eircom website for your line and/or address. If you sign up and don't get it you can get out of contract.

The map isn't reliable. Some housing estates are not fully enabled or lines can't for whatever reason take it. Not sure how the setup was done!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the map shows green for everyone in an enabled exchange regardless if your living next door to a fibre box or many km from one with no chance of getting fibre. It's only an indication to if or when an exchange will be partly upgraded to fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

They class an area as 'live' when at least 40% of the cabinets in the area are enabled. So someone down the road from you might be able to get it because they are connected to a different cabinet and you won't be able to get it.

The way the lines are routed can be all over the place. You might be able to see a enabled cab and think you are connected to it, but when checked you might be on one in the opposite direction or past that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

allen175 wrote: »
    They class an area as 'live' when at least 40% of the cabinets in the area are enabled. So someone down the road from you might be able to get it because they are connected to a different cabinet and you won't be able to get it.

The way the lines are routed can be all over the place. You might be able to see a enabled cab and think you are connected to it, but when checked you might be on one in the opposite direction or past that one.

This.
    It doesn't matter if the area is live or not, nor does which ISP you're with. It matters whether the cabinet is live.
    Can you post/pm the co-ordinates of the cab?

• Advertisement
Advertisement