Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance renewal. Suggested - better policy

Options
  • 15-10-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am with laya healthcare essential starter scheme costing €692.11 per year. Does anyone here know of a cheaper similar scheme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I'm in the same boat, I'm on the same scheme too, the second year I had that scheme it jumped up to €850, cannot afford to pay that again next year, wondering is there even any point in having health insurance at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'm in the same boat, I'm on the same scheme too, the second year I had that scheme it jumped up to €850, cannot afford to pay that again next year, wondering is there even any point in having health insurance at this stage?

I just cancelled mine, I will be saving myself €100 a month, I had looked at the cheaper plans but they didn't cover much as far as I could see, excess this excess that, so I just cancelled altogether, first time ever with out it.

It's so hard to know what to do, I've a pre-existing condition so it will be another 3 years of paying €800 a year before I can even use it for that condition, is there even any point. My first op went ok and it only cost €75 public... the benefits of health insurance just aren't clear to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

hubbie and me are due to renew at end of nov. no kids but want maternity package just in case. I have no idea what to do. was with GLO, never again. they were impossible to get a definite yes or no whether they would cover a routine scan during the year... on paper they would but when I checked it by phone... total chaos with them!

• Advertisement

I'm with Laya and not happy with them either, I'm really thinking of cancelling, I'm trying to conceive but they won't cover anything to do with infertility... is it worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can get up to 25% off if you leave 3months less a day at the end of your policy, and just renew in this gap if you need to see a doc. So you only have a policy 12 months out of every 15, but don't have a break in cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

If you can no longer afford the cost of heath insurance you could look at the hospital cash plans under www.hia.ie.
    If you are looking at the hsf they have one scheme 3 ect( for individuals) and scheme 950 ect for families ( this cover mother, father and children up to a certain age living at the same address)
    These are not health insurance but you can claim back money from them for doctors, hospital visits ect.

To the lady who is undergoing fertility treatment keep all your receipts and fill out a med one form at the end of the year as you may be able to claim 20% of the costs back. You can claim back expenses for the past 4 years by filling out a med one form for each of the past 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

You can get up to 25% off if you leave 3months less a day at the end of your policy, and just renew in this gap if you need to see a doc. So you only have a policy 12 months out of every 15, but don't have a break in cover.

this is correct but there'll be a big price increase from all insurers late December/early January.

I'll take a look at the hospital plans definitely, December is my last payment to Laya, policy is up in January so I'll definitely let it run its course but whether or not to renew is my dilemma, so many people last year cancelled their health insurance, in the long term I'm just wondering if I'll do fine without it, as I say have seen no benefits so far just €1500 gone so far!

• Advertisement

I have researched the hia.ie website. it is not user friendly in my opinion- there are so many many plans and nothing is clearly explained- it is a minefield. I have spent thousands on health insurance and each year the price goes up and less is covered in the plan- I am def leaving GLO. 3 direct debit problems with them. twice rang to say there was no money to meet the direct debit when there was, bank couldn't explain it and charged us a fee and once they double took direct debit by mistake, they rang to tell us but so far never rembursed us inspite of my calls. awful customer care!

Lennyloulou are you going to go with a different provider or just go without health insurance, funny enough glo was who I was looking into but after reading your comments they're out of the equation now! VHI and Aviva are so expensive too, I really might just go without and just claim as much as I can through a med1 form at the end of the year

we are going to keep health insurance but def change provider. we changed to GLO coz of cost savings etc. I am currently shopping around, just don't now what to pick, vhi def out. outrageous price. And we have no kids!

I'm in the same boat, no kids, just me with health insurance, it does look like laya is the cheapest, but not alot on the cheaper plans... its so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

hubbie and me are due to renew at end of nov. no kids but want maternity package just in case. I have no idea what to do. was with GLO, never again. they were impossible to get a definite yes or no whether they would cover a routine scan during the year... on paper they would but when I checked it by phone... total chaos with them!
    Maternity ain't really worth it with health insurance unless u r paying privately in the likes of mount Carmel. 7k! Ring the bell and get the baby fed for ya! Not really realistic given u r prob joy going home to that! Public and private was pretty much the same as relying on beds on the day etc!

Advertisement