Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where could I shower after a phoenix park 5k?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm considering travelling to Dublin to do the Rememberance 5K in early Nov. . However I would need to shower afterwards. Is there anywhere I could do this? don't fancy the rest of the day in sweaty clothes or feeling sticky in new clothes. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

How far are you travelling to get there. Can't imagine anyone working up that much of a sweat running 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Limerick, I could be quite sweaty even after 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

How far are you travelling to get there. Can't imagine anyone working up that much of a sweat running 5k.

You're not running your 5k fast enough then. You should be finishing a 5k race fit to collapse & covered in sweat, otherwise you're just not racing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

baby wipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

lack of a shower could mean I stay at home. It could be a lovely event and a lovely day, but I need a proper wash after. Sticky clothes for 5/6 hours,smell, nah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You're not running your 5k fast enough then. You should be finishing a 5k race fit to collapse & covered in sweat, otherwise you're just not racing. :D

Normally yeah, but in November in Ireland I reckon if you just wear a Singlet and shorts you shouldn't be too smelly after the race.
    As Ray Says babywipes are an option or else find a pub with decent sinks :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Baby wipes and put on clean clothes. Pop into a pub and wash your hands and face. Bit of deodrant. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Unre4L

Babywipes? Thats seriously disgusting, no offense.

Last time I ran a marathon I contacted a Gym nearby requesting permission to use their facilities and explained it was for charity. They normally agree. Might even give you a t shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭AngryLips

You could just rock up to a nearby hotel and gym, explain your predicament and ask if you could make use of their facilities. Maybe try the Hilton in Kilmainham, or 1Escape gym in Smithfield...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Dog pond isn't far from finish I say. Always try that

This isn't advisable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Unre4L wrote: »

Last time I ran a marathon I contacted a Gym nearby requesting permission to use their facilities and explained it was for charity. They normally agree. Might even give you a t shirt.

Seriously ? So will you only partake in an event in which you have shower facilities arranged for afterwards ?

Also, how much did you raise for charity by showering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Unre4L

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Seriously ? So will you only partake in an event in which you have shower facilities arranged for afterwards ?

Also, how much did you raise for charity by showering ?

I will normally arrange for myself and my remark was directed towards the idea of using baby-wipes, not charities. No need to take things out of context to feel smart.

There's nothing disgusting with wiping down with wipes before you can get home to shower proper.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Unre4L wrote: »

Whats disgusting about wiping your sweat off with baby wipes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

HTFU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭AngryLips

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's nothing disgusting with wiping down with wipes before you can get home to shower proper.

It's what's commonly known as a whore's bath.

AngryLips wrote: »
    It's what's commonly known as a whore's bath.

Yes, I didn't want to post that euphemism though, I'm much too clean minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Tis olny a 2km warm down to racoons gaf,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Trampas wrote: »
    Dog pond isn't far from finish I say. Always try that

I'm sure that is in jest but probably not a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

What will you do if its raining on the day of the 5k and you can't find a place to change?

Nothing wrong with changing into a clean set of clothes in a pub's toilet or at the boot of your car. I've done in at races in Waterford and Laois to name two counties and then driven back to Dublin. Wet wipes, a dry towel, clean clothes and deodorant and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

chinguetti wrote: »
    What will you do if its raining on the day of the 5k and you can't find a place to change?

Nothing wrong with changing into a clean set of clothes in a pub's toilet or at the boot of your car. I've done in at races in Waterford and Laois to name two counties and then driven back to Dublin. Wet wipes, a dry towel, clean clothes and deodorant and you'll be grand.

I think this thread should be in the "Taper Madness" forum.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Get a 5 gallon drum, fill it with water, pour it over your head and use said baby wipes. All at the boot of your car. Change of clothes and you're away. Jaysus, we're all gods children, nobody will even bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jaysus. I usually just spit on my race number and use it to give myself a good wipe down. Is this bad? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Freiheit wrote: »
    Hi I'm considering travelling to Dublin to do the Rememberance 5K in early Nov. . However I would need to shower afterwards. Is there anywhere I could do this? don't fancy the rest of the day in sweaty clothes or feeling sticky in new clothes. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    K

I'm not a fan of baby wipes but you can work wonders with a small towel and a bottle of water. I often run to the train station and have to wash in the train W.C. before changing clothes and sitting down. Its not as good as a shower but is refreshing once you're over the cool down/sweating phase. Pour the water on the corner of the towel and off you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is a mexican shower close enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Offer it up (as my very religious aunt would say). It is a remembrance race afterall so maybe just think about the real sentiment behind the race. You can wash properly for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

the answer as you well know without having to ask on boards is that there is nowhere you can just wander in off the street and have a shower.

your choices are
    - book a hotel room
    - go to a mates gaff
    - jump in the sea at bull island, if the tide is in, if that counts as a 'wash'. it will certainly clear the sweat off in the middle of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

Public swimming pool? If you're heading to city centre, there's one just off Tara St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Bang on I'd say, Public Swimming Pool, best check opening times first, otherwise a gym, preferably with Swimming facilities, better chances of Steam Room, Sauna and Jacuzzi then :D
    Nothing out of order with previous suggestions really but €3/4 for a shower after the race will seem like a bargain, could have a warm down swim as well, get the most out of your money, definitely best option IMO though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Freiheit wrote: »
    lack of a shower could mean I stay at home. It could be a lovely event and a lovely day, but I need a proper wash after. Sticky clothes for 5/6 hours,smell, nah.

I think skipping a race because you may not get a shower after is being overly prissy but if you absolutely have to take a shower straight after why not contact donore harriers and ask them could you use their facilities? I'd say they'd have no problem with that. Civil service harriers would be another option(directly across from the zoo).

Advertisement