Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 4 - diy repair

• 15-10-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

My phone has a bust power button and a flakey home button. I see plenty of places sell kits to DIY the repair, but have many of you tried it? What's the success rate like?

Don't want to make things worse, but if its easy enough I don't want to waste $$ getting someone else to do it. It is budget day, after all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi

I've done a number of repairs on iphones (3's & 4's) and ipod touches - probably about ten in total. I'd suggest that getting to the home button in the 4 is a tricky job - I'd estimate it would take me a couple of hours and there are some tricky steps - this guide from ifixit gives a good idea of what's involved: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replacing+iPhone+4+Home+Button/3144/1

I'd suggest that unless you have a fair idea of what's what in terms of electronics, a steady hand and a few hours to spare - I'd pay some-else to do it. But if you are confident enough, and have the time, it's interesting to see just how it all fits together, and you get the reward of having done something most people would run a mile from!

Paddy

PS Full disclosure - I have a degree in Computer Electronic engineering and a 20 year+ history of mucking about with electronics - you don't need my level of experience to do this, but it might help explain why I'm happy to do this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

It's taking me half an hour to refit new home button in my wifes iphone 4 :P
    And did it 3 times or so...
    Also lock button is broken for years now and never could get it to work :/ I think that metal part which need to be pushed is broken...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Thanks Paddy, am tempted to do it.

Borygo, that you've had to do it three times isn't the best ad!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Having swapped out screens on iPhone 4 + 4s - for the love of christ buy the correct screwdrivers. A mistake you'll only make once, trust me.
    Also use an egg carton to keep the teeny tiny screws in order of removal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

borygo77 wrote: »
    It's taking me half an hour to refit new home button in my wifes iphone 4 :P
    And did it 3 times or so...
    Also lock button is broken for years now and never could get it to work :/ I think that metal part which need to be pushed is broken...

Nah, when the power button doesn't work it's usually the power button flex that needs to be replaced. Basically it has this little nub on it that comes off and stops it making contact, or at least proper contact.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/iPhone-4-GENUINE-NEW-FLEX-RIBBON-CABLE-POWER-BUTTON-AND-PROXIMITY-SENSOR-/271117196023?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3f1fd81af7

Cathal from www.irepair.ie did mine for around €30, in around half an hour. Well worth it if you can't be bothered fiddling with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

horgan_p wrote: »
    Also use an egg carton to keep the teeny tiny screws in order of removal.

Or use a sheet of blank paper and some tape to keep them together in order as removed - like this (an iPhone 4 where I was replacing the screen):

10326522833_8b285f3540.jpg

and this :

10326362656_c447d0a73e.jpg

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Very good cheap idea.

Advertisement