Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Home Ec

• 15-10-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I only took up Home Ec this year & finding it a struggle, and i was wondering anyone have any tips or websites or notes that i could use ,
    Thank's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Are you in fifth and have never done JC Home Ec, or in sixth and taken an extra subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ethanhorr

im in 5th, never did home ec for the junior cert :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

www.skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2094
    Use it after reading from the book/ notes given to you by the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

ethanhorr wrote: »
    im in 5th, never did home ec for the junior cert :P

My biggest piece of advice would be pay close attention to basics. If there's concepts/vocab/techniques you dont understand, dont be afraid to look at the JC stuff for clarification. LC Home Ec really is just a more in depth look at it, but having the foundations is a large benefit. I have my own comprehensive home ec notes, but I made them through combining class notes, minimal textbook stuff and material from revision books.

The thing I saw in my hec class the most with people who hadnt done it for JC is that they had no idea how to answer long questions when it came to exams. They are not essay questions. We had an incompetent teacher so she never really cleared that up for them. But they dont want waffle, or padded text, they want facts, statements and points backed up with relevant facts, etc. You'll get the hang of it if you have a decent teacher or look through sample answers.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

What topics have you started with? A lot start with the nutrients which is actually probably the toughest stuff tbh so don't panic. The best thing about that is you'll be revising them for every big test so by the time the leaving cert rolls round you'll be a dab hand at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Usrnametaken

Well im thinking of dropping homec cause another homec teacher told us our journals are wrong, and that was thanks to our teacher! ... Would it be too late to pick up biology instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Well im thinking of dropping homec cause another homec teacher told us our journals are wrong, and that was thanks to our teacher! ... Would it be too late to pick up biology instead?

First off, how did the other teacher know they were wrong? Did she see them? Very important next question - has either teacher ever corrected the journals?
    I would follow the advise of the teacher that has corrected.
    If you follow all the key guidelines stated in the brief and on the inside cover of the journal you'll be fine. The chief examiner has also issused 2 reports - go into the state examinations website and look up chief examiners report. You'll find them. They highlight both the common mistakes and make recommendations as to how best complete the journal. Follow these and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ethanhorr

thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 dob1234

The home ec course is very long so it is always going to be difficult
    You need to know the nutrients inside out and back to front :P If you were only going to stuff a few things then i would say - the nutrients + energy
    food commodities - meat, milk, cereals, fish, cheese, veg, fruit, oils, yoghurt etc. and know your household technoloy and income/financial stuff + resource management and know ur elective brilliantly

For the long questions on every topic - section B questions , learn off the marking scheme answers as they are the best answers you can learn!

Don't underestimate the short questions either and know you elective like your life depends on it :P

if you want you dont need to concentrate on the social studies - core area as it does not appear in the short questions and it is optional in the long questions :)

if you want some notes/worksheets/exam answers, message me and i can email them to you :)

Advertisement