Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming slow, downloading ok -- What's up with that?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, lately it has become impossible to watch YouTube or play a game like WGT (golf) online. However downloading torrents or more recently a game from Steam the speeds were okay i.e. average of 300kps (which is fine for me).
    Is it possibly some issue with flash (as WGT requires flash as well)? Regarding YouTube the videos will play but runs into buffering pauses every 4 or 5 seconds. Simlarly with the wgt, the game will play ok but the load times are abysmal.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

What are your pc specs and what broadband day you have? What OS

Could be 100 different things
    Try run malwares anti malwares and check for viruses.

Clear all your Internet history and cache. (most likely cause)

Download a different browser and see if the problem is still occurring and reinstallflash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

creep wrote: »
    What are your pc specs and what broadband day you have? What OS

Could be 100 different things
    Try run malwares anti malwares and check for viruses.

Clear all your Internet history and cache. (most likely cause)

Download a different browser and see if the problem is still occurring and reinstallflash

Laptop is a Dell Studio XPS with a i7, 4gb RAM and Windows 7.
    Firefox and Chrome have the same problem. I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes which identified 2 issues which I subsequently removed. Still no improvement on the situation. The odd thing is that YouTube sill steam find on my phone but maybe that's because it's a lower quality due to the app or screensize.
    Internet history is set to clear on browser exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Check the performance meter in the Task Manager. Paging can cause this.

4 GB RAM amounts to f*ck all on a 64-bit operating system with more than average usage. I have 2 separate Firefox sessions open with a few tabs and each session is happily eating almost 1 GB.

Torqay wrote: »

4 GB RAM amounts to f*ck all on a 64-bit operating system with more than average usage. I have 2 separate Firefox sessions open with a few tabs and each session is happily eating almost 1 GB.

I'll check that out when I got home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Regarding Youtube you might want to check this out:

Preload Entire YouTube Videos By Disabling Dash Playback

Basically Youtube no longer buffers the whole video, just a portion ahead. By changing it back to the old setup maybe you'll be able to let videos buffer a bit before playing them. It's not a complete solution but might be handy in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Gamayun wrote: »
    Youtube no longer buffers the whole video

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering why it had to load videos again when I hit the replay button.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

what isp are you with and what modem have you?

Here's a screenshot of the performance manager
    276058.jpg

Basically Youtube no longer buffers the whole video, just a portion ahead. By changing it back to the old setup maybe you'll be able to let videos buffer a bit before playing them. It's not a complete solution but might be handy in the meantime.

That seems to have improved things with YouTube. That's one problem eased somewhat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not to point out the obvious, but are your torrents running at the same time? Have you limited the upload?

• Advertisement

what isp are you with and what modem have you?

Vodafone and this is the router
    Router-vodafone-bewan-3g-adsl-arv4510pw-a-vfp-Sintra_442348481_2.jpg

ED E wrote: »
    Not to point out the obvious, but are your torrents running at the same time? Have you limited the upload?

No, I don't have torrents running. I don't do much downloading to be honest. The odd ISO file. Mainly it's games from Steam.
    Here's two speedtests done one after the other. Maybe it's just time to ditch VF
    276060.jpg

276061.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

Is that 3G or wired? I think thats your problem. Thats shocking pings and download speed at 0.63

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Thank you. Just THANK YOU.

77 processes??? ^^

Have you checked your open TCP/UDP connections with netstat?

77 processes??? ^^

I thought that was a lot alright. I'll check with netstat tomorrow.

creep wrote: »
    Is that 3G or wired? I think thats your problem. Thats shocking pings and download speed at 0.63

That's wired believe it or not. The last month or so has seen it drop to these levels.

77 processes??? ^^

I ran the netstat -a command but do I count each line displayed as a seperate TCP connection or is a group of 'listening' lines followed by an 'established' line just one connection.

There are 34 UDP lines. Again I'm not sure what that means exactly

Advertisement