Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilligan is out.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

his brother seemed quite reasonable on the independant.ie consider the fcukers in the media were probably knocking all day.

he did 20years for smuggling hash which was fairly harsh, I reckon they stiffed him a few years for the murder they couldn't pin on him.

he was found not guilty of the murder cos the evidence (for whatever reason) wasn't there in court.

The whole supergrass thing is a sham - letting fellas off with murder for ratting on somebody else, jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

itness fanatic, small in height but built like a focking house!

Have to laugh at people here, you give out when they get too much time, give out when they get too little time. Make up your minds!

Remember folks John Gilligan was only ever convicted of the importation of cannabis and nothing more regardless of hearsay and what you want to believe or what the real truth maybe or what someone wrote in the papers.

17 years is a hell of a long time to do for importing cannabis. He done his time, paid his debt to society and pretty certain he'll be hounded for the rest of his life. People have committed far worse crimes than him and not done half the time he's done.

Some serious cases of double standards going on here. You either respect democracy and our judiciary system or you don't. Cant have it every way folks.

Still though, I wouldn't touch that Jessbrook centre even if it was given to me! Fock that for a game of soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

They should have put him on an island.

He is on an island...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NGUYEN01

Where in Clondalkin is the party -

Will he be signing on for Job Seekers in the morning with the hangover !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

His heroin was always top notch.Hopefully a bit of quality smack hit the streets now again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

17 years is a hell of a long time to do for importing cannabis.
    It is, indeed. But he imported a hell of a lot of cannabis. Gilligan had it all sewn up, could have had a few in the Gardaí on his side as well. He imported surreal volumes of drugs like he was importing olives.

Some people think the Special Criminal Court took an "I know what you really did last Summer" approach to his sentence. That's actually not so.

Gilligan was proved to have imported 180kgs (IR£1 million) of cannabis at a time when importing 1% of that warranted a 10 year jail sentence. That will give you some sense of the disproportionately light sentence Gilligan received, and although it was at the top level of Irish sentencing history, Gilligan's record was wayy over the top in Irish drug history.

I know you're not saying he was 'implicitly' punished for VG's murder. But a lot of people do think so. Just want to set the record straight!

It is, indeed. But he imported a hell of a lot of cannabis. Gilligan had it all sewn up, could have had a few in the Gardaí on his side as well. He imported surreal volumes of drugs like he was importing olives.

Some people think the Special Criminal Court took an "I know what you really did last Summer" approach to his sentence. That's actually not so.

Gilligan was proved to have imported 180kgs (IR£1 million) of cannabis at a time when importing 1% of that warranted a 10 year jail sentence. That will give you some sense of the disproportionately light sentence Gilligan received, and although it was at the top level of Irish sentencing history, Gilligan's record was wayy over the top in Irish drug history.

I know you're not saying he was 'implicitly' punished for VG's murder. But a lot of people do think so. Just want to set the record straight!

Thats actually a pretty good point but what you are saying is that not like been convited for the same crime more than once? Surely they cant keep adding ten years after ten years for every bit he brought in?

Its like saying you are caught with 5 firearms and mandatory sentence for firearms is 10years (I think), there's not a hope the judge will give you 50 years. Is that not the same thing?

But i am saying it.
    Even after your well written and reasonable post. I genuinely believe he was punished severely for cannabis importation.
    He got 28years . Which was similar to the sentence the english lads got for 440m of cocaine.
    So i disagree and believe ge was hung for a second crime they couldnt prove he committed.

But i am saying it.
    Even after your well written and reasonable post. I genuinely believe he was punished severely for cannabis importation.
    He got 28years . Which was similar to the sentence the english lads got for 440m of cocaine.
    So i disagree and believe ge was hung for a second crime they couldnt prove he committed.

Clitus who you responding to?!

Billy i am responding to cody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

I suppose in some way one can say he has served his time, but that is of no consolation to Veronica's family, however that said Ireland is such a shyte country in the eyes of the those who do not live there just now that the release of this scumbag will not register much interest when set alongside the BANCKSTERS, THE PEDO CLERGY, THE BRUTALITY OF THE NUNS, and practically all the "GREY HEADS" still trot to church every Sunday, so Ireland is an Island beset by skuldrugery, bent Politicans and on and on it goes

Hmmmmm. I dont know how to process this. I think this post just broke whatever few brain cells i had.

Billy i am responding to cody

Yeah I sort of agree with you. Coke is a class A drug and that amounts must of ran into millions upon millions upon millions.

This is the question that really should be asked - if me or you were caught importing that amount of cannabis that John G did do you really think we'd get 27 years and serve 17? I highly doubt it.

Thats actually a pretty good point but what you are saying is that not like been convited for the same crime more than once? Surely they cant keep adding ten years after ten years for every bit he brought in?

Its like saying you are caught with 5 firearms and mandatory sentence for firearms is 10years (I think), there's not a hope the judge will give you 50 years. Is that not the same thing?
    Yes Gilligan's sentences ran concurrently, for example, for possession with intent, he was given 6 x 28 year sentences, later reduced to 6 x 20 years on appeal. Since they were to run concurrently this amounted to a 20 year sentence for all offences, itself subject to the normal remission rules.

Given the immense volumes in question, Gilligan was looking at life imprisonment on one count alone, so all I am saying is that the courts quite arguably went 'easy' on him, especially at appeal stage, given the unprecedented nature of his drug criminality.

So when people (not you, but in general) say he got 20 years for cannabis *nod nod wink wink* that's actually a little unfair on the justice system. Because, despite what we might think of Gilligan, despite what our suspicions are, he really did only get the sentence he deserved, or was even lucky to get. Veronica Guerin's murder genuinely seems to have had nothing to do with it.

But i am saying it.

But that isn't borne out by the facts. There had been longer drug importation/ intent sentences in Irish legal history; as far as I know there was no larger scale criminality than Gilligan's (in terms of volume and values).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Wattle wrote: »
    I wonder how many of us smoked his hash?

I never did, thanks be to God.
    Have to laugh at people here, you give out when they get too much time, give out when they get too little time. Make up your minds!

Some serious cases of double standards going on here. You either respect democracy and our judiciary system or you don't. Cant have it every way folks.

A) I don't think I've ever read a post on here where people were giving out about too much time.

B) I have zero respect for our judiciary system. None whatsoever. Actually scratch that. I have minus infinity respect for our justice system. Why? Because it DOESNT do what it says on the tin, its corrupt, its broken, its not fit for purpose, its UNJUST. A JUSTice system which is UN-JUST. Gilligan getting out today is a perfect example of this. He got a light sentence, he didn't even complete his sentence, and he got away scott-free with killing VG.

Himself, Larry Murphy, the Dundon's, the paedo's etc. should all get natural life behind bars, not just to punish them, but to keep them away from harming the rest of us. They have proven track records, they are remorseless, and they will strike again. These people are not just 3 conviction type people, they are lifetime criminals. With freedom comes responsibility. These people do not have the responsibility that it takes, therefore they do not deserve the freedom. THAT would be JUST.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

newmug wrote: »
    He got a light sentence, he didn't even complete his sentence,

I think the sentence was appropriate for the crime. Child molesters only do a few years in prison at most. They should give child molesters life sentences.

Jumboman wrote: »
    I think the sentence was appropriate for the crime. Child molesters only do a few years in prison at most. They should give child molesters life sentences.

I agree, you rape a child, they should lock you up and throw away the key. But that should also be the case for importing drugs (ok, say over 1kg) and for organising to have people murdered. So no, his sentence wasn't appropriate.

I agree, you rape a child, they should lock you up and throw away the key. But that should also be the case for importing drugs (ok, say over 1kg)
    Hang on

gravity of importing 1 kg of grass = gravity of raping a child?

Hang on

gravity of importing 1 kg of grass = gravity of raping a child?

Yeah? They are equally heinous, they should be equally punished with life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I agree, you rape a child, they should lock you up and throw away the key. But that should also be the case for importing drugs (ok, say over 1kg) and for organising to have people murdered. So no, his sentence wasn't appropriate.

He wasnt tried for that crime so we can only judge him on what he was actually convicted of.

• Advertisement

Jumboman wrote: »
    He wasnt tried for that crime so we can only judge him on what he was actually convicted of.

He actually was but it was thrown out, even with the supergrass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yeah? They are equally heinous, they should be equally punished with life.

You are being ridiculous!

Yeah? They are equally heinous
    I guess I am just one of those people who puts driving across the border with a kilo of grass in a lesser category of seriousness to raping a child.

weird, huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

It's strange how many people want the man dead or put back in jail, for what? Importing drugs? Drugs you probably used yourselves back then! People seem to have forgotten that Brian Meehan was the one who murdered Veronica gueran and is serving a life sentence for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

He should of never been in jail in the first place. Makes me sick when this country locks up innocent men & tarnishes their image just to get some cheap votes for their party in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

tdv123 wrote: »
    He should of never been in jail in the first place. Makes me sick when this country locks up innocent men & tarnishes their image just to get some cheap votes for their party in the next election.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galstar

Think the best thing to do is ignore him, the more attention he gets the more it encourages youngster who still think that kind of life is glamourous..
    Either that or tell him to start drug smuggling again but take 50% tax off him this time... Ease the pressure on the rest of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Link

He says he had nothing to do with the Veronica Guerin murder. Vincent Browne last night on tv3 said he had an idea of what criminal was actually responsible for it and that it probably wasn't Gilligan but he wouldn't go on to name anyone about it.

Thoughts?

Sunday World Reporters Head Office 16/10/2013: Ok folks you all heard the news,we need an interview before going to press Saturday Night, sooooooo I have a hand full off straws and we're all gonna pick one:eek:......

hope no offence was taken by this hilarious joke! but it is AH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

redarmy wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Shouldn't you and your Red Army Faction pals be out blowing stuff up & terrorizing people? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

tdv123 wrote: »
    Shouldn't you and your Red Army Faction pals be out blowing stuff up & terrorizing people? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well if his user name is taken from Liverpool you're going to look pretty stupid arent you?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement