Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I feel the urge to sue

• 15-10-2013 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

In the past 3 days I have received the following through my letter box.

1. A Lidl brochure

2. A Supervalu brochure

3. A hello.ie brochure

4. A specsavers brochure

5. A dunnes stores brochure.

None of these are addressed to me. I wonder could I fine all of them for littering? I have to pay to dispose of them. I didn't ask for them. I don't want them.

What is the legal standing on this rubbish? Could I sue them for trespassing and/or littering?
    As I said, I'm just feeling annoyed at the moment. My recycling bin costs 7.50 per lift. This garbage probably makes up 1/4 of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Hmmmmmm

Would this apply?

Illegal dumping
    The litter laws have increased the powers of your local authority to combat the problem of illegal dumping of refuse and rubbish. If you see someone dumping illegally, you should report the matter to your local authority who will investigate and take any necessary enforcement action.

Alternatively you can report illegal dumping to a 24 hour lo-call telephone number 1850 365 121. Local authorities, the Environmental Protection Agency and an Garda Síochána will follow up on the information given as appropriate. Information that you give can be treated confidentially although you are encouraged to give your contact details as authorities may wish to follow-up with you in relation to the investigation of illegal dumping.

If your local authority finds material that is illegally dumped and establishes the identity of the owner of the material, that person will have a case to answer without necessarily having to be caught in the act. In addition, extra powers are also available to your local authority to require a householder or business operator to indicate how and where they are disposing of their waste. This is particularly relevant if the householder or business owner is not availing of a refuse collection service or is not bringing their waste to an authorised disposal facility.

Well, I rang the number and they're allowed to do it. Legally.

May just put up my little sign.

Feck it anyway - I could at least have gotten a tenner out of them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What would happen if someone got smart and collected up loads of those lidl leaflets and threw them in a ditch.

Could the litter warden then issue them with a fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Before you dump them, can you have a quick look at the Lidl brochure and tell me is it this Thursday the thermal cycling gear comes out.
    Also if you could have a look at the Specsavers brochure and let me know if they're doing any special offers on the free hearing tests this month.

I'd check myself only I don't get them since I installed the 'No Junk Mail' sticker on my mail box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

billy few mates has answered your question exactly.

you can buy those no junk mail stickers in eurospar for about €2.

Whatever about a legal remedy, my experience is that pamphlet bombers usually respect this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

billy few mates has answered your question exactly.

you can buy those no junk mail stickers in eurospar for about €2.

Whatever about a legal remedy, my experience is that pamphlet bombers usually respect this.

Yep, I got one for about a fiver (a posh one :D) and haven't had a Lidl brochure, a pizza/indian/chipper menu or a free parish newspaper in my letterbox since.

Hasn't stopped the charity-bag-sticker lot though :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Before you dump them, can you have a quick look at the Lidl brochure and tell me is it this Thursday the thermal cycling gear comes out.
    Also if you could have a look at the Specsavers brochure and let me know if they're doing any special offers on the free hearing tests this month.

I'd check myself only I don't get them since I installed the 'No Junk Mail' sticker on my mail box.

Domino's are doing a 2 for 1 on the 14 inch whopper with a free 1 ltr. Coca Cola with every order exceeding 20 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Damn...! I really miss those Dominos offers, they were the only junk mail worth getting. I often thought about amending my sticker to say "No Junk Mail -Except Dominos Offers"....

Hasn't stopped the charity-bag-sticker lot though
    My neighbour used to use these charity bags to store used nappies, kitchen and garden waste, and other rubbish. He used to leave them outside his front door overnight and in the morning they'd be gone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

sopretty wrote: »
    I feel the urge to sue.

Try to walk it off. Best plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sopretty wrote: »
    In the past 3 days I have received the following through my letter box.

1. A Lidl brochure

2. A Supervalu brochure

3. A hello.ie brochure

4. A specsavers brochure

5. A dunnes stores brochure.

None of these are addressed to me. I wonder could I fine all of them for littering? I have to pay to dispose of them. I didn't ask for them. I don't want them.

What is the legal standing on this rubbish? Could I sue them for trespassing and/or littering?
    As I said, I'm just feeling annoyed at the moment. My recycling bin costs 7.50 per lift. This garbage probably makes up 1/4 of it.

Could you put "return to sender" on them and mail them back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My neighbour used to use these charity bags to store used nappies, kitchen and garden waste, and other rubbish. He used to leave them outside his front door overnight and in the morning they'd be gone....

Stingy feckers don't give the bags any more, just the stickers. But I like your neighbour's thinking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sorry the 14" whopper post threw me for a minute there. I was thinking it must be a pretty big box to deal with that.

(I'll get my coat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Whatever about a legal remedy, my experience is that pamphlet bombers usually respect this

what about in a rural area where the postman delivers them with my post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elmpark

amen wrote: »

You've contacted the post office and they've refused to stop delivering them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

F1ngers wrote: »
    Could you put "return to sender" on them and mail them back?
    what i do is send them back with some of my junk from my rubbish recycle bin with a note to explain. no stamp. i sent one back to a church with a slice of bread .. bread of life i told them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

you can tell the post office not to deliver them. if they are addressed or addressed to the occupier they have to deliver them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I don't think you're going to have this problem for much longer. Rural postal services are going to be a thing of the past. 8-10 years from now you'll probably be driving into town to pick up your post. Enjoy it while it lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

OP out of interest if someone put a leaflet in your door saying 50% off your next purchase would you complain? We all get these leaflets in the door & if your tear them up & put them in the bin they take up little or no space, would take months to fill up a wheelie bin, surely there is more important things to be worried about

Advertisement