Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiff action

Options
  • 15-10-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi there lads I took out the rifle for clean thismor,n and noticed the action was very stiff I got it to open cleaned and oiled it, by the way I allways clean after use it so it's not rust dose any one know what might be cuasing this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Did you remove the bolt and clean the area of the action where the lugs lock up?

My guess without seeing the gun would be dirt or corrosion in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Take the bolt out, strip it, make sure it's clean with no gunk inside. Check the surface where the bolt handle rotates and contacts the bolt body for wear or rubbing, ensure there's no grit or foreign obstruction and very lightly apply some fine grease to the contact surface here. While you have the bolt out, clean the bolt raceways and visually inspect for any rubbing or grit or anything. Clean the locking lug recesses as Veg suggested if it's a centrefire. I've had it happen before that a bolt was seizing up and it was on an otherwise well maintained rifle, so my own inclination is to think it's something to do with the bolt, but if you don't find anything in that and there's nothing clogging up the locking lug recesses I'm out of ideas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All the cleaning in the world no matter how careful you are will not always remove the fouling and dirt in the chamber.

I've tried everything from cotton buds, to cloth on a stick, etc. Eventually bought a pack of angled brushes and they work a treat. You point the rifle upward and spray the chamber with oil. Use the brushes to clean in and around the area as the lads described then clean out by spraying with oil.

I then let her sit on her ass with a cloth rolled and put into the action to catch excess oil. Later i wipe out with a patch and shotgun mop.

169541_ts.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

Vegeta wrote: »
    Did you remove the bolt and clean the area of the action where the lugs lock up?

My guess without seeing the gun would be dirt or corrosion in there.

Yes I took it out and gave it a good clean I used some 2-in-1 bore scrubber I might put some more on and let it sit for a bit

Take the bolt out, strip it, make sure it's clean with no gunk inside. Check the surface where the bolt handle rotates and contacts the bolt body for wear or rubbing, ensure there's no grit or foreign obstruction and very lightly apply some fine grease to the contact surface here. While you have the bolt out, clean the bolt raceways and visually inspect for any rubbing or grit or anything. Clean the locking lug recesses as Veg suggested if it's a centrefire. I've had it happen before that a bolt was seizing up and it was on an otherwise well maintained rifle, so my own inclination is to think it's something to do with the bolt, but if you don't find anything in that and there's nothing clogging up the locking lug recesses I'm out of ideas.
    Will do and it's a .308

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hi there lads I took out the rifle for clean thismor,n and noticed the action was very stiff I got it to open cleaned and oiled it, by the way I allways clean after use it so it's not rust dose any one know what might be cuasing this

xchrisshana,
    Did you remove the stock? If so could over-tightening the bolts that house the receiver to the stock have caused the bind up?

What kind of rifle are we talking about? How about the stock? Have you an aftermarket trigger?

FISMA wrote: »
    xchrisshana,
    Did you remove the stock? If so could over-tightening the bolts that house the receiver to the stock have caused the bind up?

What kind of rifle are we talking about? How about the stock? Have you an aftermarket trigger?
    It's a remmy 700 in.308 on a McMillan stock with a duel trigger I'm going to strip the bolt today and see if that works

It's a remmy 700 in.308 on a McMillan stock with a duel trigger I'm going to strip the bolt today and see if that works
    Fixed :) drity bolt thanks lads

Advertisement