Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Gutted for Sam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Sam Bennett out-sprints Elia Viviani and Caleb Ewan to claim first victory of season:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/sam-bennett-sprints-elia-viviani-caleb-ewan-claim-first-victory-season-366997

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Sam Bennett out-sprints Elia Viviani and Caleb Ewan to claim first victory of season:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/sam-bennett-sprints-elia-viviani-caleb-ewan-claim-first-victory-season-366997

Great to see him back after being sick last week. A repeat win for him too.

Does the course for Sunday suit him? Must have a look for it now I have it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Wonder wil Sam ride the Giro again this year? Was so unlucky not to get at least one stage win last year, it would be great to see him get one this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Obviously a fantastic and break through giro for Sam with 3 stage wins. Good article on Rome stage at

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-i-had-such-bad-legs-i-thought-i-wouldnt-be-able-to-sprint/

On another note I'm perplexed that there hasn't been a mention of him in the sports supplement in the last 3 editions of the Sunday times. The giro has been covered alright but it's been all about the pink Jersey, froome and doping. David Walsh owns the back page of this paper and not a word about Sam

I had always assumed his knowledge and interest in cycling extends beyond doping and am hoping the Bennett silence is down to waiting for an interview and feature article

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

On another note I'm perplexed that there hasn't been a mention of him in the sports supplement in the last 3 editions of the Sunday times. The giro has been covered alright but it's been all about the pink Jersey, froome and doping. David Walsh owns the back page of this paper and not a word about Sam

I had always assumed his knowledge and interest in cycling extends beyond doping and am hoping the Bennett silence is down to waiting for an interview and feature article

Isn't the Sunday Times an English British paper? British editors, mostly British audience? Do they have an Irish Sunday version?

buffalo wrote: »
    Isn't the Sunday Times an English British paper? British editors, mostly British audience? Do they have an Irish Sunday version?

They do have different versions. During the season, there is usually 4 full pages devoted to GAA sports and during the six nations there is far more space devoted to the Ireland games in the rugby pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Where the hell has Sam got to? He's done nothing for months and now a half-fit Sagan is taking the sprinter's place for Bora in the Vuelta. Does he have some injury or something? He does these disappearing tricks every few months and I can't understand why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Was wondering same myself.

Unless Vuelta route is too hilly with not enough flat finishes and Sagan is supposedly using it as World's training.

Maybe Sam doing Tour of Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

Think he was supposed to be in the Binckbank Tour but didn't start

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/five-things-look-2018-binckbank-tour-389945

Would have expected him to be on the start list for Sunday but Sagan is down for that one too.

There have been a few races since the giro he's been down to start on the startlists and has vanished from them. Next race I see him down to start is the Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France 2018 on Aug 26th.

Bora aren't on the Tour of Britain list at all for the moment that I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Possibly he was pencilled in for the Vuelta but then Sagan decided to go

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where do you think Sammy B would fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wonder will he move for next year or stick it out? Must be Few teams down a sprinter with all the transfer activity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Passed Sam Bennett going in the opposite direction in Bunmahon, Waterford yesterday.

Did the big awkward nod when I realised at the last moment it was him!

What's left for him this year... Canada and Tour of Turkey?

There must be something going on, dont think he rode the London race, didn't do the Binck Bank tour, Tour of Poland etc etc, could have won 1 or 2 out of all that lot possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

His contract is up isn't it, iirc? According to Daniel Friebe on last nights cycling podcast, Dimension Data haven't and won't offer Cav a renewal (even before the latest illness), so a possible opening there? They've mainly signed/ announced classics guys so far I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bora have the young German sprinter for next year as well so he could be surplus to requirements.

• Advertisement

He rode in France on Sunday I think, but I joined that race late and it only showed the break who took it.

Next up for him are the 2 Canadian Races but given how the start lists have panned out for him of late I'll take his name being on them with a pinch of salt until I see him start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dahat wrote: »
    Bora have the young German sprinter for next year as well so he could be surplus to requirements.

Aye this stickybottle article doesn't make good reading for Sam, especially in light of their signings.
    Bora-hansgrohe says success with German riders crucial

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/bora-hansgrohe-german-riders/

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye this stickybottle article doesn't make good reading for Sam, especially in light of their signings.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/bora-hansgrohe-german-riders/

1 stickybottle does many good articles covering irish domestic cycling but it also does a lot of rubbish clickbait articles and this fits the latter.

2 Bora are not foolish enough to get rid of a guy who just won 3 Giro stages.

Interesting take on the sprint in the first paragraph in

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/sparkassen-munsterland-giro-2018/results/

Presume much of this will be sorted for Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Interesting take on the sprint in the first paragraph in

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/sparkassen-munsterland-giro-2018/results/

Presume much of this will be sorted for Turkey

Skip to 1:46:22 for the last kilometre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sam looked well pissed off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

1.48.10 is that Sam remonstrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I think he should be a bit pissed....looks like Ackerman bumped him enough to stop his charge.

You see where the Lotto guy goes and Sam follows, and goes past Ackermann, the they get lost in the trees for a bit and it Looks like Ackerman tries to squeeze up between Sam and whoever is in front of him. It seems to happen just as Sam is going to go for it and seems to knock him off his stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Don't think bora has been a great team for Sam and if Ackerman thinks he's the top sprint dog and a German outs probably time to consider a new team

• Advertisement

Haven't watched but in fairness the German Champ in his home race has a right to go for the win, the team should have been working for him anf then pay Sam back in nexct few races.

Advertisement