Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Cursory mention for Sam on Newstalk this morning. Oh well better then nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bazermc wrote: »

Got a mention at the end of the sports section in the Virgin Media news at 1230.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Got a mention at the end of the sports section in the Virgin Media news at 1230.

I've a feeling we'll be hearing more cycling news there on virgin media since they got the rights to show some races.

I've a feeling we'll be hearing more cycling news there on virgin media since they got the rights to show some races.

Wow really. What races are they going to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Its not just RTE and Newstalk. Cycling Weekly are running a "quiz" (aka marketing/advertising) on their website and this is one of the questions:

546455.jpg

• Advertisement

Wow really. What races are they going to show?

No idea, was reported on StickyBottle during the week they had done a deal with Discovery (EUrosport/GCN owner) to show some races. Sinead Kissane will likely be promoted from Rugby correspondent to Cycling correspondent for the news :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Is it a mistake for Sam to complain about other riders messing with his lead out train,will this only encourage more of the same as they now know it rattles him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dublin49 wrote: »
    Is it a mistake for Sam to complain about other riders messing with his lead out train,will this only encourage more of the same as they now know it rattles him.

I didn't think that's what he done, I think he was rightly pointing out that if they focused more on their own sprint rather than his, they might have a chance. I think it was a nice dig at all of them saying, ha, can none of you actually put a sprint together. He didn't look rattled during the sprint at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Watched it this morning - some finish given the kick he had to do to get back into position. If he was complaining about just before that, where he lost the wheel, it looked more like the road narrowing than others trying to get him off the wheel tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

San Remo next,I know Cav won it but it probably takes a very unlikely concurrence of events for the top punchers to allow a bunch sprint ,how would Ver der Poel or Van Art for instance allow Sam to be there after the Poggio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

dublin49 wrote: »
    San Remo next,I know Cav won it but it probably takes a very unlikely concurrence of events for the top punchers to allow a bunch sprint ,how would Ver der Poel or Van Art for instance allow Sam to be there after the Poggio.

The Vans will probably attack with Alaphillipe and Sam will sit in the bunch ready in case another team pull them back in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Watched it this morning - some finish given the kick he had to do to get back into position. If he was complaining about just before that, where he lost the wheel, it looked more like the road narrowing than others trying to get him off the wheel tbh.

The road narrowed but they definitely squeezed him out. He's probably a bit wary of standing his ground too much in case he gets punished like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭griffin100

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Vans will probably attack with Alaphillipe and Sam will sit in the bunch ready in case another team pull them back in

Much as I'd love to see him win I think he'll struggle to stay with the leaders when they hit the Poggio. The pace carried into the start of this climb usually breaks up the field and any DQS riders will be working for JA at that stage one would imagine. I really hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

griffin100 wrote: »
    Much as I'd love to see him win I think he'll struggle to stay with the leaders when they hit the Poggio. The pace carried into the start of this climb usually breaks up the field and any DQS riders will be working for JA at that stage one would imagine. I really hope I'm wrong though.
    I think it depends. Sam has got over the likes of the Muur in the BrinkBank tour with the leaders way longer than the other sprinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Is the distance an issue for Sam - read somewhere before that's another reason Milan San Remo doesn't suit him.

I actually think he's looking stronger this year and fancy him for a podium at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Let's face it, there's no way Sam stays with VDP if he's trying to drop Alaphillipe and Van Aert on the poggio.... It'd take some seriously commited trains to pull those three back. Sam's best chance is if Ala isn't there at the end and Quickstep, FDJ, BORA pull like dogs to bring them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

happytramp wrote: »
    Let's face it, there's no way Sam stays with VDP if he's trying to drop Alaphillipe and Van Aert on the poggio.... It'd take some seriously commited trains to pull those three back. Sam's best chance is if Ala isn't there at the end and Quickstep, FDJ, BORA pull like dogs to bring them back.

It’s a fascinating race every year. It’s maybe 50/50 of breakaway and sprint finishes. You’d assume quickstep will try Alaphilipe and Sam only if others bring it back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Anyone have any idea what's next for Sam? What does the rest of his season look like etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Anyone have any idea what's next for Sam? What does the rest of his season look like etc.

I'd guess it focused around defending the Green Jersey at the tour!

RTÉ sports award?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Scheldepris and Ghent Wevelgem are next.

RTÉ sports award?

He better hope no one wins any olympic medals

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭PatM65

He's riding the 203 kilometre Brugge-De Panne on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭PatM65

RTÉ sports award?

He could have competition from another Tipperary sports person in the shape of Rachael Blackmore!

PatM65 wrote: »
    He could have competition from another Tipperary sports person in the shape of Rachael Blackmore!

Good yeah. No doubt she’ll win it. They may aswell just give it to her now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say they'll even get a correct picture of her to display!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

I'd say they'll even get a correct picture of her to display!

Nah they'll show the horse.

Meh. Give it to the horse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Big Ears

RTÉ sports award?

They'll want him finishing a lot higher than 138th in the tour if they're to consider him for that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Meh. Give it to the horse

Exactly the sort of sentiment that lost Cian O'Connor a Gold Medal

Advertisement