Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

What did Sam say about the race?

He obviously punctured at a bad time and looked to be struggling a bot in the chase.

Then he was on the right side of the split before the Poggio.

It also looked like he was having mechanical issues.

Any news on these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Disc brakes rubbing on the spare bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Disc brakes rubbing on the spare bike.

That's somewhat less than ideal, would do your head in as well, sadly at that time in the race no option but to persevere....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pro Cycling Stats are fairly reliable if you are ever wondering what Sam, or anyone else, is doing next - https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/sam-bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

bazermc wrote: »
    RTÉ sports award?
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    He better hope no one wins any olympic medals

I'd say they'd want to win 2 to take it from Rachel Blackmore after the week she had last week. Sam should obviously have gotten it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd say they'd want to win 2 to take it from Rachel Blackmore after the week she had last week

It’s March. In an Olympic year.

There’s no need to be talking about any award being seen up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Just for some perspective on Rachel Blackmore.
    What Rachel Blackmore has done is incredible - it's stratospheric. To do it as a man is massive, to do it as a women is in another universe of achievement. She might even end the season as winning jockey, she's 5 wins behind Paul Townend, although it's nearly the end of the season now. Coming second is a huge, massive, indescribably enormous achievement, to win is some thing else. No woman has ever been near that before, it's absolutely massive. Racing and equestrianism are the only sports that women and men compete on a par, and in racing women are way, way, way outnumbered. To do what she's done is huge. It's not just riding winners, although riding for one of the most inform trainers in the world does help, but the cultural change challenged is a massive shift in sport.
    she has stood on teh shoulders of women who came before her, notably Nina Carberry and Katie Walsh, both of whom stayed as amateurs, never turned pro like Rachel, but to get the rides she has has been a battle that's gone on for decades. She's changed the whole sport in terms of what women jockeys are capable of, and turned hundreds of years (and current despite her success) of wrongful judgement on his head.

it's hard to overstate what Rachel Blackmore has done when you look at it.

ETA there's a great documentary about Rachel Blackmore, Katie Walsh (in her last season), Lisa O'Neill and Kate O'Farrell called Jump Girls. It's excellent, follows them for the 2019 I think season. There's one for the men too called Jump Boys. I think it's on their player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Bennett and Mørkøv combine for best sprint duo in pro peloton

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bennett-and-morkov-combine-for-best-sprint-duo-in-pro-peloton/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thoughts with The Flying Mullet at this difficult time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

Would Sam not be winning without Morkov??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Not nearly as many id say. Morkov has a very calming influence on Sam it seems, Same relaly trusts him now. In the early days there were plenty of races Sam lost because he got over excited/went too early etc. He 100% trusts Morkov now to get him to the right spot at the perfect time. The few on board camera shots ive seen of Morkov are good too, shows how great he is at working through the madness!

bazermc wrote: »
    Good yeah. No doubt she’ll win it. They may aswell just give it to her now.

An award basically for being ballast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

He'd be winning, but not as much. I watched the last 20km of De Panne this morning on the turbo, and Blythe was really pointing out that it's Morkov's calmness and picking the moments as much as the final lead out.

In fairness, DQS are pretty good at getting things together, as well as Morkov. They were letting the rest of them fight for the front, and then just came up when they needed too. But it helps that Sam is clearly the fastest at the moment - easy for the team to work for Sam when he's in such good form, easy for Sam to trust the process when it's working out.

It came out of all the talk of Bora trying to buy the team for Evenepoel that only 4 DQS are under contract for next year - hopefully Sam, and Morkov stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭redlead

Sam was robbed of SPOTY last year but to be fair even I would give it to Rachel Blackmore this year and I have no interest in horses whatsoever. Just an amazing achievement doubled because she is a woman competing against men. It will probably go to some boxer with a silver medal in the Olympics though.

If Sam can keep this form going for the rest of the year he could have a field day in the TDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

redlead wrote: »
    Sam was robbed of SPOTY last year but to be fair even I would give it to Rachel Blackmore this year and I have no interest in horses whatsoever. Just an amazing achievement doubled because she is a woman competing against men. It will probably go to some boxer with a silver medal in the Olympics though.

If Sam can keep this form going for the rest of the year he could have a field day in the TDF.

What is it she has done exactly I don't have a clue about horse racing. Did she win a big event or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭redlead

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What is it she has done exactly I don't have a clue about horse racing. Did she win a big event or something ?

She won the most races in Cheltenham out of any Jockey and so is champion Jockey or something like that. Cheltenham is like the tour de France for that type of hurdle racing etc. Effectively she won the green Jersey but did it as a woman. I know very little about horses so I'm sure others could set me right but that's the jist of it.

redlead wrote: »
    She won the most races in Cheltenham out of any Jockey and so is champion Jockey or something like that. Cheltenham is like the tour de France for that type of hurdle racing etc. Effectively she won the green Jersey but did it as a woman. I know very little about horses so I'm sure others could set me right but that's the jist of it.

Fair enough. Personally I can't stand the sport and would never give an award to someone who sits on an animal who does most of the work over one powering the bike or taking the punches.

I understand she is breaking gender barriers and that is great but even the fact that the gender of the person sitting on the horse was a thing just makes the sport more ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

dublin49 wrote: »
    Would Sam not be winning without Morkov??

I think there are 2 things here - it seems that no sprinter wins as much after leaving DQS, there's clearly something about the team that enables sprinters to perform at such a high level. I imagine that's about more than just Morkov right now although he's clearly a factor in Sam's success too.

Then there's Sam's confidence which I think both him and the team talked about a lot last year. He needed to start believing that he truly can be the best, which I think he's getting closer to now. The tour must have been huge for him in that context, first to win stages (especially in Paris) but also to be able to take on and beat Sagan for green. That has to help then with things that others have mentioned, such as his old habits of jumping too soon etc.

tldr; imo the team helps hugely, while they've also helped him to develop as a sprinter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

great podcast with Sam on Geraint Thomas Cycling Club https://open.spotify.com/episode/1fNsE7ejC1XjxxefepyTyK?si=uNkN-WeHT2qp2DLZxfsnNQ

I think there are 2 things here - it seems that no sprinter wins as much after leaving DQS, there's clearly something about the team that enables sprinters to perform at such a high level. I imagine that's about more than just Morkov right now although he's clearly a factor in Sam's success too.

Then there's Sam's confidence which I think both him and the team talked about a lot last year. He needed to start believing that he truly can be the best, which I think he's getting closer to now. The tour must have been huge for him in that context, first to win stages (especially in Paris) but also to be able to take on and beat Sagan for green. That has to help then with things that others have mentioned, such as his old habits of jumping too soon etc.

tldr; imo the team helps hugely, while they've also helped him to develop as a sprinter :D
    In my opinion Sam has everybodys number bar Caleb Ewan who if Ewans can get near Sams Wheel tends to pip him.Ewan must be now thinking he can win other classsics after his performance in MSR,Sagan ,Viviani ,Gaviria,Bouhanni all seem to have regressed recently and they only one I think that troubles Sam is Ewan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would have liked to have seen the outcome if Arnaud Demaere didn't have the mechanical yesterday. He looked to be close to Sam & Ewan's level last year but hasn't come close in a few races this year

I would have liked to have seen the outcome if Arnaud Demaere didn't have the mechanical yesterday. He looked to be close to Sam & Ewan's level last year but hasn't come close in a few races this year

kinda sort of,only if Sam beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

Havent been following the last few additions but what chance does Sam have at Ghent Wevelgem on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think 5 of the last 10 have been bunch sprints, a few hills added recently to make it more selective. Most of the others small breakaway sprints of 10 or so. A good few sprinters there so they must feel there is a chance

I think 5 of the last 10 have been bunch sprints, a few hills added recently to make it more selective. Most of the others small breakaway sprints of 10 or so. A good few sprinters there so they must feel there is a chance

Usually if won by a sprinter it a more all round borderline classics guy. He will probably be the DQS "if the bunch pull it back" foil but I don't see him keeping up with the 3 Vans and Sagan if they get in a break. It's also one of the few classics DQS don't have a ridiculous record in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s by far the ‘easiest’ of the Flanders classics though. DQT sending Morkov (who’s finished top 10 him himself) is a sign they fancy it a little (unlike Milan San Remo for example)

Not saying he’s favourite or anything but there’s at least a chance it come down to a small sprint and he can, on his best days, last with the likes of Sagan, Pederson, kristoff etc

Guess it could depend on the size and make up of any break after the last climb.... With Bennett, philipsen, Demare, Kristoff, Ackerman, Nizzolo there, there could be a lot of firepower to chase back a smallish break.

Looks like wind could be a big factor tomorrow too..... Sam's not had much luck in echelons lately.

anyone know whats next for Sam?

• Advertisement

dublin49 wrote: »
    anyone know whats next for Sam?

Scheldeprijs which he should win if the wind and level crossings don't make a difference. RE: the level crossings am I thinking of a different race or was it that one that saw a mass DQ a few years ago with guys hopping the gates?

Advertisement