Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Sam is Racing tomorrow in Scheldeprijs. Two other Irish riders Sam Nolan and Ben Walsh of Irish team EvoPro.
    Also Alice Sharpe in the first ever women's race.
    Live on Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,392 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

deise08 wrote: »
    Sam is Racing tomorrow in Scheldeprijs. Two other Irish riders Sam Nolan and Ben Walsh of Irish team EvoPro.
    Live on Eurosport.

Good bit of pressure on Sam tomorrow as he is the favourite and it's a race that all the top sprinters have on their palmares. And Caleb Ewan isn't racing.

It'll be interesting to see how DQS perform as it's the first time Sam & Cav will be racing together as team mates (I think). Morkov is riding thankfully and so is the flying mullet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

breezy1985 wrote: »
    At the same time Lefevre keeps saying he doesn't even have sponsors

He always says that and suddenly a sponsor appears at the last minute before riders and agents get all jittery

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

neris wrote: »
    He always says that and suddenly a sponsor appears at the last minute before riders and agents get all jittery

I've seen more and more Lidl sneaking on to the roadside sponsors. I bet it will be Lidl + one of the current sponsors which could mean a lot more promo work for Sam if I'm right

This is just a complete hunch though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Live on Eurosport.

Weather looking pretty grim for this.

Wind, hail or even snow may greet riders at Scheldeprijs

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wind-hail-or-even-snow-may-greet-riders-at-scheldeprijs/

• Advertisement

Weather looking pretty grim for this.

Wind, hail or even snow may greet riders at Scheldeprijs

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wind-hail-or-even-snow-may-greet-riders-at-scheldeprijs/

The Belgian born Irishman should be made for this

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

They will all no doubt be able for it. Great to see more Irish competing in both men’s and women’s race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Live on Eurosport.

Interview with EvoPro's Morgan Fox:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/its-an-exercise-in-getting-a-man-in-the-break-having-him-on-tv-all-day-and-try-to-knock-a-top-10-out-of-it-40282004.html
    The second part of their objectives will be the responsibility of experienced sprinter Michael Van Staeyen, but Navan man Seán Nolan and Westport’s Ben Walsh are among the seven-man squad riding in support of the Belgian.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've seen more and more Lidl sneaking on to the roadside sponsors. I bet it will be Lidl + one of the current sponsors which could mean a lot more promo work for Sam if I'm right

This is just a complete hunch though

As someone who has a new LIDL opening beside him in the next year, if they don't have SAM call back for an opening ceremony and some sort of crit around the car park, I will be disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

Good bit of pressure on Sam tomorrow as he is the favourite and it's a race that all the top sprinters have on their palmares. And Caleb Ewan isn't racing.

It'll be interesting to see how DQS perform as it's the first time Sam & Cav will be racing together as team mates (I think). Morkov is riding thankfully and so is the flying mullet

They could go for the legendary 'double train' tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

happytramp wrote: »
    They could go for the legendary 'double train' tactic.

Funny was wondering about that earlier. Has this ever happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

He is now saying he is sure the team is fine. All typical Lefevre
    In fairness to him, he hasn't had big name sponsors. It's pretty clear from Instagram/ Facebook that he is managing the multiple sponsors. They all love their post race maes 0.0...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    In fairness to him, he hasn't had big name sponsors. It's pretty clear from Instagram/ Facebook that he is managing the multiple sponsors. They all love their post race maes 0.0...

Etixx/Omega were a pharmaceutical and he gets better money than most would out of the likes of Quickstep because DIY chains are huge in Belgium and their win rate attracts decent sponsors.

It's not an ideal situation juggling all those sponsors but he plays the poor mouth a lot despite doing better than most sponsorship wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

Any chance of Sam racing AGR? seems to be climbing well and might be able to handle the cauberg..... Other than that the only other races coming up before the tour that I can see that might be good for him are romandie and the dauphine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ceepo

No hope of Sam winning Sports person of the year after Rachel Blackmore win in the grand national.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ceepo wrote: »
    No hope of Sam winning Sports person of the year after Rachel Blackmore win in the grand national.

He's still in the mix..................

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1380930078981378053

Is Reilly a cyclist? Always pegged him for one and have no idea why.

Is Reilly a cyclist? Always pegged him for one and have no idea why.
    Not that I remember from college but not something you would notice then.

Pity it's a climbers Olympics given Sams form and the World Championships are essentially the Ronde this year not that I would have much hope for the Irish team either way

He's still in the mix..................

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1380930078981378053

That's probably the truth of it right there.

I think there's all ways a certain bias for me as im a huge cycling fan, But I would place Sams performance on a world stage higher.
    While horse racing takes place in a lot of countries, I'm not sure national hunt racing does,
    I'm not try to take for Rachel's achievements,
    She is competing and excelling in a male dominated sport. and winning the Grand National is the dream for all NH jockeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I’d say Sam would solve world hunger and he’d still probably not get the nod

bazermc wrote: »
    I’d say Sam would solve world hunger and he’d still probably not get the nod

He should have won last year but lost to Taylor who should have won the year before so maybe he gets it now and the jockey gets it next year instead of whoever should get it next year and so on

It will be the RTE SPOTY12MTL award

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

He should have won last year but lost to Taylor who should have won the year before so maybe he gets it now and the jockey gets it next year instead of whoever should get it next year and so on

It will be the RTE SPOTY12MTL award

The Horse will probably finish ahead of him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Junior wrote: »
    The Horse will probably finish ahead of him as well.

... I dont know what horse racing is doing in a sports contest, so I guess if they were giving the prize to anyone they should be giving it to the horse.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    ... I dont know what horse racing is doing in a sports contest, so I guess if they were giving the prize to anyone they should be giving it to the horse.

What I can't get my head around is how a jockey can be "on form" . What does that mean is their whipping arm feeling stronger or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cav wouldn't be a wildcard in the Ras never mind the cobbles in France and Belgium
    Ok, maybe not France or Belgium, but Turkey we were quick enough to celebrate Sam's wins in!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Ok, maybe not France or Belgium, but Turkey we were quick enough to celebrate Sam's wins in!

Ya I have to hold my hand up and say I was very wrong there. Fair play to him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Just to give some perspective on what Rachel Blackmore has done, riding a racehorse (riding work) is one of the most physically demanding, and highly skilled things you can do in sport. People who ride sport horses for a living can struggle to ride work. Being a jockey (racing) is steps above that again.

What Rachel Blackmore has done is absolutely astounding. I have spelt it out in this thread before, but winning the national (a big handicap, not an especially high quality race on the equine talent side) is absolutely huge, massive.
    No female jockey in history has ever come close to what she is doing this season, not even close. And she's doing in over jumps, not the flat, which is even more incredible again. And to win the national, that's a stratospheric achievement.

I am a cycling fan, I race bikes, etc. etc. and as well and all as Sam is doing it doesn't even come close to what Rachel has done, not even close. A comparison would be winning Flanders, Roubaix, The Tour de France, and the Vuelta in one season, whilst also being the (current) second most winning cyclist this year, oh and being a woman! Most of the time the only woman in the race! (the gender difference is not as pronounced in racing as it is in cycling obvs, but the fact that she's the only woman in these fields is evidence of what she's up against)

What she has done has never been done before in the history of sport, it really can't be overstated. She has grafted for years to get to where she is, and no woman has ever been given the top job at the most successful stable (and be put up by the owners). The amount old fashioned sexist beliefs in the sport she has had to overcome on the way there is enormous. I haven't seen anything like it before. It's spectacular.

The truth is, as with all these sports personality awards, you can't compare between sports, simply not possible. The other thing to remember is that it is a sports personality not person of the year.

Sam maybe more recognisable worldwide but for the moment, I imagine Rachel is more recognisable in Ireland. They are both nice people and come across well but horse racing is simply a sport with more frontage than cycling in Ireland at the minute.

Who is the better sports person is simply one of those in the eye of the beholder things but in regards sports personality, at the minute Rachel is ahead for a variety of reasons. Whatever your opinions on which was the biggest triumph is irrelevant, it is what do local people see as the biggest event, and despite the tour being one of the biggest events in the world, in Ireland, this year, the Grand National trumps the Green jersey. I say this feeling Sam should have beaten Katie last year for similar reasons. I am living in Bray and her big win barely made a rumble locally, normally the online commentary is in the thousands but not last year, whereas I have had locals make the "who do you think you are? Bennett" joke in the same way people used to say Sean Kelly or Stephen Roche.

• Advertisement

" I imagine Rachel is more recognisable in Ireland."

And this is the real truth of it.
    We simply can't compare what we as cycling fans see as huge results at a International level to what the general public see are huge sporting results. Just look at GAA, inter County players are practically seen as gods, who make huge sacrifice that no other sports people make.

Advertisement