Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In no way am I making accusations here but there are good/bad reasons why teams don't like you seeing 3rd party doctors. I'm not sure Sam was smart there.
    Whilst I agree, you are only hearing one version of events and an angry one at that. I wouldn't assume that what Lefevre is saying is fully accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Ye wonder where it all went wrong. last year Sam was on a high, saying that QuickStep was his 'dream team' as Tom Boonen had been one of his heros.
    Last year he went to the Tour hoping for a few stages and ended up in green, and the whole thing with the green bike at the final stage. He seemed to be one of the darlings of the team, and even this year started off on a high.
    Where and why did it all seem to fall apart....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

He asked for a raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I think Lefevre is going to use this as a justification to give Sam minimal racing for the rest of the season - particularly if Cav doesn't embarrass himself at the Tour

And here we go..
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-threatens-to-bench-sam-bennett-from-races-and-dock-his-pay-unless-he-behaves/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

jaysus he's some headwreck...over here he'd be done for workplace bullying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

In no way am I making accusations here but there are good/bad reasons why teams don't like you seeing 3rd party doctors. I'm not sure Sam was smart there.

Agreed, but just to note Brian Smith said on today's stage that the physio is known to the team

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cant see him cycling any big races for the rest of the year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He asked for a raise.

From the latest out burst he has got it at Bora

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

De Bhál wrote: »
    jaysus he's some headwreck...over here he'd be done for workplace bullying

To be honest I saw some sort of Lefevere inspired sh1*show coming as soon as he announced Sam was leaving.... Even the way it was announced raised alarm bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Guys do you think Sam or ( his agent ) made a mistake, if Cav wins today/tomorrow will Bennett status not drop ?

As already mentioned here, this time last year he had it all , now another row with another team.

Jesus listen to Wiggins talk Cav up ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

sham58107 wrote: »
    Guys do you think Sam or ( his agent ) made a mistake, if Cav wins today/tomorrow will Bennett status not drop ?

As already mentioned here, this time last year he had it all , now another row with another team.

Given the way Lefevre is acting Sam should have started the Tour and just parked up the bike halfway through stage 1. A proper F U

I don't think Lefevre is 100% wrong about it being a mental issue but it's no excuse for the horrible way he has acted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just in case anyone forgets, don't post who did or did not win todays stage in here, there is a stage thread, and saying someone did not win is still a spoiler. Although I wouldn't think it much of one, we will find out in 13km if I have to eat my hat.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just in case anyone forgets, don't post who did or did not win todays stage in here, there is a stage thread, and saying someone did not win is still a spoiler. Although I wouldn't think it much of one, we will find out in 13km if I have to eat my hat.
    ok so I am not to say that Sam did not win it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Or perhaps he actually did!

Sam's in a tricky position. On one hand he's well served to not get involved with a public tit for tat with Lefevere but on the other, the more Lefevere talks the worse he makes Sam look... dodging his calls, not getting on his flight etc. It's all very one sided obviously and Sam has nothing to gain since he's probably already signed with Bora but I can't see how he races again this season without tipping the Cap to Lefevere....... which I can't really see him doing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Or perhaps he actually did!

Schroedinger's Bennett?

The probability that the first 3 stages could've aggravated any underlying knee concerns is quite high I would think!
    He would've been at least around Ewan today, although if DQS were properly working for a sprinter...

happytramp wrote: »
    Sam's in a tricky position. On one hand he's well served to not get involved with a public tit for tat with Lefevere but on the other, the more Lefevere talks the worse he makes Sam look... dodging his calls, not getting on his flight etc. It's all very one sided obviously and Sam has nothing to gain since he's probably already signed with Bora but I can't see how he races again this season without tipping the Cap to Lefevere....... which I can't really see him doing either.
    Other team bosses will know what is going on though. I doubt it would damage Sam's reputation around the town no matter what Lefevere says

Other team bosses will know what is going on though. I doubt it would damage Sam's reputation around the town no matter what Lefevere says

Definitely. But it's still got to be horrible to listen to someone publicly berate you and call you a liar while knowing that your best course of action is to say nothing.

True but is he listening? I assume Sam has been advised to keep away from the news and social media to avoid it getting into his head.
    If Sam has already signed, then I assume he wouldn't give a crap and will be happy to give the two fingers to Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

True but is he listening? I assume Sam has been advised to keep away from the news and social media to avoid it getting into his head.
    If Sam has already signed, then I assume he wouldn't give a crap and will be happy to give the two fingers to Paddy

You can be sure Sam’s being well advised in the background. The more PL keeps throwing mud the better the case Sam will have if this becomes legal.

Whatever about benching him you'd imagine he's in very murky water from a legal pov threatening to dock Sam's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

sham58107 wrote: »

TBH I'd be amazed to see Cav in the mix for any of the sprint stages at this stage of his career. Been out of it at this level for too long.

I reckon that's part of the reason for PLs ranting. He's picked a team totally around sprints/green jersey rather than punting on a run in yellow for alaphillippe and now knows he doesn't have the ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mitchelsontour

With all of Patrick's mouthing do you think he gotten buyers remorse with the Remco deal and is p1ss3d at himself for telling Sam and Joel to take a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

rtmie wrote: »
    TBH I'd be amazed to see Cav in the mix for any of the sprint stages at this stage of his career. Been out of it at this level for too long.

I reckon that's part of the reason for PLs ranting. He's picked a team totally around sprints/green jersey rather than punting on a run in yellow for alaphillippe and now knows he doesn't have the ammo.

I wouldn’t be so sure. I think Cav has another TDF stage in him. A stage win for Cav would generate more headlines and publicity than a rake of wins by Sam (outside of Ireland). But I reckon he only has 2 chances left as I can’t see him slogging through the mountains and finishing (could be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

griffin100 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be so sure. I think Cav has another TDF stage in him. A stage win for Cav would generate more headlines and publicity than a rake of wins by Sam (outside of Ireland). But I reckon he only has 2 chances left as I can’t see him slogging through the mountains and finishing (could be wrong).

Well I guess with no Bennett or Ewan any flat sprint stages are more open alright. But still De Mare and the Alpecin lads look stronger options

I wouldn't begrudge Cav a win and I'd not be a huge fan of the guy over the years. You look at the run he's had over the last 3 years or so, face planting in a TT I think in the middle east, then recovers and hits a bollard in Millan San Remo, then was outside the time cut off halfway through the tour and the virus and trying to get any kind of legs after it.

The guy must have been rock bottom , some of the races he was at and him on tv getting dropped on relatively easy cat 3 or 4 climbs etc.

I wonder is there the option of him moving early? It does happen occasionally. Anyway (as has been said) Lefevere effectively white walling him and then docking pay must be a legal case waiting to happen. Belgian employment law can't be that much in favour of the employer!

I'd also not begrudge Cav, but Lefevere will be very hard to take. It's still hard to see without more incidents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wonder is there the option of him moving early? It does happen occasionally. Anyway (as has been said) Lefevere effectively white walling him and then docking pay must be a legal case waiting to happen. Belgian employment law can't be that much in favour of the employer!

I'd also not begrudge Cav, but Lefevere will be very hard to take. It's still hard to see without more incidents though.

Rohan Dennis springs to mind. Can't remember if it was to or from BMC, and I never heard the details of how it came about (as in, was he bought out of his contract, or was it mutual agreement).

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    Rohan Dennis springs to mind. Can't remember if it was to or from BMC, and I never heard the details of how it came about (as in, was he bought out of his contract, or was it mutual agreement).
    To BMC, from Garmin/ Vaughters?

Advertisement