Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He had no shot at this years WC of us sending a team or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I hadn't seen the course, just assumed Australia would be pretty flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Pity he is out as he would have been good for a few more stage wins. Can't get the picture of him with the face mask over his chin giving inerview to Eurosport /GCN and Orlas comment on the Breakaway show saying its good to see Sam getting max use out of his face mask. It was comical to see him with the mask on his chin. Exiting Veultadue to Covid may have been avoidable....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ewan pretty píssed off at not being selected, and really only the long climb at the start that different to the course Hushovd won on. He'd have to have been in top form and even then it'd be a long shot.

At first I couldn't understand why he was so angry but I can see why he thinks he has every bit as good a chance as Mathews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

From a job point of view, it's a day where the cameras in Australia would have been on him alot, whether or not he was in contention. Would he have won, who knows but I can understand being annoyed as he would have been a justifiable inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Any thoughts on Sam bennett decision to leave quick step? Obviously the biggest mistake of his life in hindsight. Can't begrudge him not expecting more money . He probably had an agent pusihng for too much,but the career achievements he could have missed out on on are so huge... [ I know he pulled out with injury the next year, but I don't think that injury would have happened if he was happy where he was at]

He would have had a reasonablly easy defence of the green jersey . A has been mark Cavendish won it the year after

Then he goes back with Bora who again leave him out of tour de france, like they did before quick step...A really bizarre decision. It's like you are going for the money rather than the plaudits. Getting paid triple to be on the bench for man city rather than playing for a mid league team. Waste of talent

Fantastic achievements what he achieved and an irish sporting legend, but he rested on his laurels like so many others in sport

Post edited by sxt on

That whole post is based on the Patrick Lefevere theory that Sams injury was a lie.

He pulled out the Cavendish year with an injury not the next year.

Also he didn't go for the money you are wrong again there.

Yes like i said , he pulled out with injury after he won. I'm not saying injury was a lie. I'm saying if he was happy where he was at,, with contract ,this injury would not have happened, he would have performed like he did when he was winning.

stay with quick step, an easier green jerrsy tour de france win than previous year by far , plus tour stages. Double tour de france Green jersey winner

Moving to Bora is a sell out given his past experience with them as well. Money has motivated him at the expense of achievements

Injuries are not caused by happiness.

He did not move for money.

You are talking shte either through ignorance or on the wind up so I'm done here.

• Advertisement

After winning iconic green jersey in tour de france and biggest stage win in cyclng in Paris 2020, Why did he decide to leave quick step?

Nothing to do with money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think QS were all on an jakobsen, so showing bennett the door was convenient

So you are saying the injury was a lie. It's not like he chose to get injured, it probably hurt his pay cheque to have the injury going over to Bora. He had an injury and like a proper pro, not some amateur schmuck he wanted to recover. Pat who doesn't care about anyone said ride on the injury or F off, Sam quite gentlemanly like kept his cards close to his chest.

He wouldn't have stayed with QS without the injury, another team would have outbid Pat and Pat knows that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Great move for him. As in, couldn't have hoped for any higher profile team based on last couple of years. Needs to hit the ground running to avoid the prospect of another TdF omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It’s all about his train line up now, very curious to see how he structures it.

Time to all reacquaint ourselves with the French Cup calendar.

Not sure how good a career move it is but I always liked AG2R so it's a nice fit for me personally.

Not sure he would've had that many WT offers? AG2R aren't a bad fit - no GC leader that they're going to go all in for. I like Ben O'Connor, but I wouldn't be building a team around him, and takes the pressure off O'Connor if joint leaders with a sprinter.

Lead out (at least Ryan I would imagine, if not the mullet) and bike the next things to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

How important is a lead-out 'train' for Sam at this stage? Possibly it's slightly different in the Quickstep environment of years past where the entire team was nearly built around their sprinter, so more time and energy put into selecting it and perfecting performance etc... big pressure then to deliver. Teams seem to be moving away from this a bit, save for maybe Alpecin who have a funny mix, and giving younger lads their shot at GC and stage hunting much earlier in their development than years past.

Sam has failed to deliver with decent trains the past couple of years. But we've also seen that he has that natural sprinting nose to win without much of a train. Maybe time to throw off the pressure shackles and get back to enjoying racing and trusting his natural abilities. I don't think there are any trains out there that he needs to be afraid of, so hope it works out for him.

At least if he doesn't have a sprint train it means his lack of a lead out will be one less rival to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

It's already mentioned in the article Mullen is staying at Bora. The Mullet hasn't done lead out in 3 years or more for Sam. And they'll be on Van Reysel Bikes. Decathlon are to replace Citreon.

I actually did here about Decathlon, but totally forgot until now!

At first the rumour was it was just Van Rysel bikes that would kit them out but that has escalated into a named co-sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

You’d have to think some/most of Sam’s problem is in his head, could do with having a chat with that fella from the Cav documentary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's lost his lead out train a few times this year so maybe the train isn't the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I wish Sam the best of luck in his new team and I'm sure we'll see be back on the top step in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ottolwinner

That will be a return for Decathlon bikes to AG2R so. Any of you that have been in the Ballymun store will see Jan Kispuru bike from the tour on the wall.

they had a name for being decrapalong so hopefully they have improved.

Really, I've always heard excellent things from people who buy there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ottolwinner

I think in general the products there are good. I’m an annual trolley filler myself. But back at a time when decathlon were the bikes for ag2r and we had two Irish riders I worked on the service course at races. There was plenty of cracked frames without crashes back then I think possibly in an effort to explore the possibilities of carbon and the forever search to be the lightest frames.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement