Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sagan supposedly concentrating on Worlds now and is not planning to do Vuelta.

Sagan is doing Poland and Worlds so unlikely he'll contest the Vuelta too?

So if segan is doing poland maybe Sam is in for San Sebastian ? must have a look and see if there are any team listings for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Inquitus wrote: »
    2017 UCI Ranking Points

Dan Martin - 2542
    Sam Bennett - 546
    Nico Roche - 511
    Someone mentioned elsewhere that this impacts size of team Ireland is allowed in world road race.
    Last year I think we had two. How many will we have this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

rtmie wrote: »
    Someone mentioned elsewhere that this impacts size of team Ireland is allowed in world road race.
    Last year I think we had two. How many will we have this year?

6 as it stands I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bennet not listed in initial Vuelta line up so far but could appear yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sagan is doing Poland and Worlds so unlikely he'll contest the Vuelta too?

So if segan is doing poland maybe Sam is in for San Sebastian ? must have a look and see if there are any team listings for those.

Procyclingstats.com is usually pretty good for team listings and unofficial start lists.

A full team is listed for San Sebastian but no Sam; it wouldn't be his type of parcours anyway.

For the Vuelta, Procyclingstats just have Majka and Konig listed for Bora-Hansgrohe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd have thought Sagan's dq in TdF would make his appearance in vuelta greater. He's the most bankable name and sponsors can influence

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd have thought Sagan's dq in TdF would make his appearance in vuelta greater. He's the most bankable name and sponsors can influence

From what I saw Veulta isn't a race for either Sagan or Bennet which was what made me think Sam lost out with Sagan riding Poland next week. I'm convinced Sam was there before the DQ at the Tour de France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Weepsie wrote: »

Sagan has a history of doing the two Canadian one day races (Quebec and Montreal) and these overlap with the Vuelta and are often seen as better prep for the worlds.

Sam is on the provisional start list for the Surrey-London Classic on Sunday which takes over most of the London 2012 Olympic RR route and is seen as a sprinters race. Previous winners include Boonen , Renshaw and Blythe.
    It will be good to see where Sams form is after such a gap in racing. There are a few sprinters also racing coming off the back of a tough TDF (Greipel, Matthews, Degenkolb) as well as Viviani and Jean-Pierre Drucker

Other Irish interest will be in the form of Ryan Mullen and the AquaBlue boys

Coverage will be live on BBC 1 from 15.30-18.30 (Hugh Porter :(:() with highlights on Eurosport in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

cunavalos wrote: »
    Sam is on the provisional start list for the Surrey-London Classic on Sunday which takes over most of the London 2012 Olympic RR route and is seen as a sprinters race. Previous winners include Boonen , Renshaw and Blythe.
    It will be good to see where Sams form is after such a gap in racing. There are a few sprinters also racing coming off the back of a tough TDF (Greipel, Matthews, Degenkolb) as well as Viviani and Jean-Pierre Drucker

Other Irish interest will be in the form of Ryan Mullen and the AquaBlue boys

Coverage will be live on BBC 1 from 15.30-18.30 (Hugh Porter :(:() with highlights on Eurosport in the evening

Prize pool

https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/events/classic/prizes/prize-money/

• Advertisement

And i see it has been promoted to UCI World Tour status as well this year so lots of valuable UCI points on offer

offers the highest prize money pool of any one-day Classic race.

€32,000 for the winner... nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

cunavalos wrote: »
    And i see it has been promoted to UCI World Tour status as well this year so lots of valuable UCI points on offer
    Going slightly OT here so apologies in advance but how does a glorified criterium like this get world tour status?
    _drops mike!_

Watched it last year, seriously dull, and the English commentators refer to it as a classic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Irvine on start list as well

rtmie wrote: »
    Going slightly OT here so apologies in advance but how does a glorified criterium like this get world tour status?
    _drops mike!_

Watched it last year, seriously dull, and the English commentators refer to it as a classic.

Beetner_Bag-of-Cash.jpg

Fine win for Sam today albeit by the narrowest of margins, annoying Eurosport opted not to show it even on the player given they covered every other race in the last week and especially given the quality of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Sam's in the Tour of Turkey from tomorrow to Sunday. On Eurosport. It's a World Tour event even though there are only four WorldTour teams riding.

slow wrote: »
    Sam's in the Tour of Turkey from tomorrow to Sunday. On Eurosport. It's a World Tour event even though there are only four WorldTour teams riding.

Stage 1 & 2 look good for Sam.

http://www.tourofturkey.org.tr/EN/icerik/stages-8

Not many other decent sprinters riding apart from Edward Theuns for Trek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

When an event is world tour status, do world tour teams not have to send a team there ?

Also nice to see "The Flying Mullet" - Shane Archbold back in Sam's lead out train. He has missed most of the season through injury and still looking to secure a contract for next year.

• Advertisement

When an event is world tour status, do world tour teams not have to send a team there ?

Not sure exactly what the requirements are for normal WT events.

Since this is a 'new' WT event, a minimum of 10 WT teams were required to participate.

New to the WT calendar so it's optional for teams to take part. Which is slightly at odds with the other rule that states a race must have at least 10 world tour teams 2 years in a row to maintain it's WT status :rolleyes:

EDIT: Found the piece I read on it from last week http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-of-turkeys-uci-status-at-risk-with-only-four-worldtour-teams-for-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Turkey was postponed due to political unrest / fears of terror attacks earlier in the year. I think that the UCI bent its own rules to keep it on the calendar in the name of 'global cycling'. This policy may change under the new UCI president?

Great result for Sam there !!!!!! Almost looked like a sigh of relief on the line. Might have been feeling a little pressure given he was favourite.

bettiniphoto_0303597_1_2000px_670.jpg

EDIT: Seems there were some nerves as I guessed earlier http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bennett-reveling-in-favourite-status-in-tour-of-turkey-sprints/

Great chance for Sam today to get a third World Tour win of his career and to keep the race lead

http://www.tourofturkey.org.tr/Upload/resimler/Etaplar/yaris_profili/stage2_alti_slp_resize.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

Great lead out from Archbold, have to wonder if he'd have made a difference in the Giro had he been healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

2 from 2!

He looked to have had great legs there at the end. Not afraid to fight for his position for the finish today with his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Sam for green jersey next season on the  Tour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Stage 1 & 2 look good for Sam.

http://www.tourofturkey.org.tr/EN/icerik/stages-8

Not many other decent sprinters riding apart from Edward Theuns for Trek
    In yesterdays results, aside from Bennett, I only recognized six names in the whole 104 man field, the highest placing being 15th

Advertisement