Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent week on/week off

Options
  • 15-10-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I work a week of nights in a hospital in South Dublin on a week on/week off basis and I am looking to rent a room just for those 2 weeks every month. I live down the country and have a mortgage so can't afford to pay a full months rent.

I'm not sure if this is even an option or where best to look but I can't see anything online.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be appreciated.
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think it'd be tough enough to find anything like that in a house share. You'd be much more likely to find a room in a couple's/family home and in that case you might not find anything online. Try the notice boards in the shops/supermarkets of the area you want a room in would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A deal with a B&B might be a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think there are a lot of people who would love this arrangement. It is just a case of finding them. Putting your own ad up saying what you are looking for would probably be the best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There are many people who might find this arrangement useful. They might like the idea of renting out a room for a week at a time, get the income from same but still have sole use of the property a considerable amount of time. With holidays, good time planning the amount of interaction could be minimal, Why not put your own ad on Daft seeking a house share under those terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of people who would love this arrangement. It is just a case of finding them. Putting your own ad up saying what you are looking for would probably be the best option.

And the place to start looking for them is among people who might be in a similar situation in your hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If I were still in Dublin I would love that arrangement. I think you will find that a lot of homeowners who are being forced to rent out their spare room to meet the mortgage really hate having to share their house on a permanent basis with someone else. They lijely bought their own house as they were beyond living in a houseshare. Your offer would give them loads of time with their house to themselves. I think if you post your proposition up on daft etc, you will get a good bit of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 26 suzyball

I would be very interested in renting a room on this basis. If you put an ad up on daft pm me the link and ill contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stylejunkie

Thanks for all the replies, will organise an ad on Daft. Suzyball - will let you know when it's up!

Thanks for all the replies, will organise an ad on Daft. Suzyball - will let you know when it's up!

Why don't ye just pm each other and see if it is suitable and cut out the need to put the ad up?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A deal with a B&B might be a solution.
    But may be as expensive as renting a place for the whole month.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    But may be as expensive as renting a place for the whole month.

I know someone who stayed in a B&B for 2 weeks while looking for a place. They negotiated a rate that didn't include brekkie and also stayed just for Monday through Thursday nights. Came back up Monday morning. Worked out well for both parties if you can find one willing to do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have a spare room and would so do it. Don't want a full time housemate, but have completely free spare ensuite room, with TV etc. I'm in London week on week off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I did this up to last year - a woman rented a room in my apartment half the week for part-time college, then lived elsewhere for work the rest of the week.

Absolutely ideal. :)

Advertisement