Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photocopying an Apostilled Document

Options
  • 15-10-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am looking for a job abroad and I need an apostilled copy of my university degree. Initially, I didn't know how it worked so I sent up my original degree to the department of foreign affairs to get apostilled, thinking they copied it up there and apostilled the copy (which would make things so much easier).
    Instead they just apostilled my original degree.

I then went and got a notarized copy of that apostilled degree. The notary said that I might get away with not having to get the copy apostilled as the original was apostilled he just photocopied the apostille stamp and notarized the document.

I've been trying to get through to the DFA but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me if I'll need to send the notarized photocopy (with photocopied apostille stamp) back to the dfa and get apostilled again OR should the fact the original degree was apostilled and the photocopy was notarized by a notary suffice?

Regards,

Jimmy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

You did things the wrong way round,

You should have visited Notary first.

He or she would photocopy your degree.

They would then "Certify it as being a true copy of the original"

You could then put your degree back on your wall

Take the "Certified copy" to the Dept Foreign Affairs and they will add an Apostille to it. An Apostille is a stamp or attached sheet from the Dept Foreign Affirms wherein they certify that the Notary is registered and therefore legit.

Advertisement