Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching a movie on my tv that is stored remotely

Options
  • 15-10-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I'm starting with a blank canvas here so all options are valid. What I have is as follows. An Ethernet port at both of my TVs ( Wired with Cat6 so hoping b/w is not an issue ) A NAS Drive with 2 movies on. I have a Windows 7 server also with the same movies on it. What are my options on the TV side to allow me to watch either of these two movies at the same time on either of my TVs? My TVs do not have NIC adapters on them. I don't want to sit a PC beside my TV. Is there a simple dumb decoder I can sit beside my TV that I can use to point to the MKV file and play it? Any ideas are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Loads of options including Roku, WDTV Live, Xtreamer.... perhaps post over on Home Entertainment will get more answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

You could by a Now tv box (thread here) for 15 euro and install plex on your nas/ pc and stream the movies to your pc. If you have a smart tv, I think some have a plex client so you wouldn't need any other kit other than the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Can also be done with a ps3 or xbox 360 and a program called PS3 Media Server

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You have a tonne of potential here - first off, you should keep your movies on your best source (most likely the NAS giving it's networked and doesn't depend on Windows services). DLNA is your best bet, can you tell us the name of your NAS in case a plugin is compatible? I use Serviio and it works wonderfully - if you can use it, I will also show you how you can get full HD live streams through it on any DLNA compatible device.

Advertisement