Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-functional events centre (Budget 2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Great news on the event centre, and the right location too, I think.

I dont think the traffic would have been any better, had they opted for the docklands location, unless they were going to put in a new bridge down that end of the city

Besides, the Beamish location means a Cork instition with hundreds of years of history is preserved and put to good use

I really hope they get cracking on this asap

Given the success of what is basically a make shift tent (Marquee), this convention centre should be a great success, and will really breathe economic life back in to a part of the city that badly needs it.

The docklands will be developed regardless, and rightly so. Its good that the city centre isnt neglected either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

hopefully some decent acts once its open. such a pain having to take time off work for gigs in Dublin mid week. plus with pairc ui choamh getting re-developed potential for outdoor gigs in the summer
    Now if they could only sort out the mess in the airport cork would be flying it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I don't think think this will be just used for entertainment events. Business conferences will use this too. This is a huge development for cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I don't think think this will be just used for entertainment events. Business conferences will use this too. This is a huge development for cork.
    Aye hopefully - would be cool to see something along the lines of a tech talk held there like Web Summit in Dublin, Ted talk etc. - for now that's a pipe dream but hopefully they can attract that level of conference / talks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Delighted and about time and I think slap-bang in the heart of the city is the best place for it.

The bigger events will attract people from all over Munster, and further, bringing business to local hotels, B&B's, taxis/coaches, shops, restaurants and bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I didn't really mind which venue was picked as long as Cork gets an events centre.
    But now that Beamish has been selected there are some positives for the site.
    There will be new footbridges onto Proby's Quay and Crosses Green near the dole office. A new street will be created straight through from Tuckey St to Crosses Green.
    Elizabeth Fort is being developed as a full tourist attraction. Barrack Street has just been renovated. We already have Triskel Christchurch done up.
    With an event centre, cinema, shops etc on the brewery site there'll be a complete change in the area.
    South Main Street has acted as a barrier between the city centre and UCC and surrounding areas. This site should eliminate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Hopefully we'll see a few sporting events held here aswell.A world heavyweight boxing match with Mike Perez.A snooker tournament with Ronnie O'Sullivan and co. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

there is so much that it could attract. with cork being an IT hub too it should be able to get conferences too. so hopefully the city centre will see benefits. knockon effects for retail in the city which is seriously struggling. hopefully the old cinema on Grand Parade will be soon sold and re-developed. would love to see the English Market extended. at last the city is getting what it deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Video here of what it could look like.
    Seen it on Examiner

Looks class in fairness. Will be great when it's opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

How long will the events centre take to build?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I saw photos of the proposed building. I'm a bit confused but is it going to be down south mall next to the electric restaurant? Its probably going to be one of these things delayed for years much like the cork bike scheme. Would be a great addition to the city though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Lambofdave wrote: »
    How long will the events centre take to build?

The archaeological dig to the old city walls within this site will be a huge factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I saw photos of the proposed building. I'm a bit confused but is it going to be down south mall next to the electric restaurant? Its probably going to be one of these things delayed for years much like the cork bike scheme. Would be a great addition to the city though!

It will be on the site of the old beamish brewery on south main street,@pitcairn is that right about a street from tuckey street onwards to crosses green.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

What I'm looking forward to is the brewery tour. Hopefully it'll become just as popular as the Guinness one and bring a few extra tourists with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just a few more interesting photos I've spotted around the internet. These don't seem to be featured in the videos etc.

9qv6e8.png

This one shows the interior. Pretty standard setup, similar enough in ways to the O2 in Dublin. The seating will be steep enough with not much seating on the flat. Looks like there will be good viewing angles anyways.

fck3rk.png

Exterior see through shot to compliment the first render. Looks as if the tiered seating will back up against the river.

2qi4sch.png

This render shows the final appearance from the Dean's Hall side of the Lee. Really like how they are planning on keeping a lot of the original Beamish and Crawford stonework.

2ns9u78.png

Model of the main part of the development. As mentioned earlier, there will now essentially be a new street running from Tuckey Street through to Dean's Hall apartments. Once this development is completed, the whole area around Crosses Green / Deans Hall will be ripe for redevelopment too I suspect. Will also be interesting to see what will eventually become of the old Social Welfare office too.

there is so much that it could attract. with cork being an IT hub too it should be able to get conferences too. so hopefully the city centre will see benefits. knockon effects for retail in the city which is seriously struggling. hopefully the old cinema on Grand Parade will be soon sold and re-developed. would love to see the English Market extended. at last the city is getting what it deserves
    This.

I was talking to a friend the other day about how Mahon was turning into a mini Silicon valley with the amount of tech companies going in there.

With a 3rd citygate development coming down the line, we should see more companies added to an already impressive portfolio out there.

Companies like Solarwinds, McAfee, Dell, VCE are all large multinational companies - I see no reason why they shouldn't look to host events in a facility like the one planned.

I just want to see this getting started in the new year as was the initial plan so we can start hearing more about how companies plan on using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

D'Agger wrote: »
    This.

I was talking to a friend the other day about how Mahon was turning into a mini Silicon valley with the amount of tech companies going in there.

With a 3rd citygate development coming down the line, we should see more companies added to an already impressive portfolio out there.

Companies like Solarwinds, McAfee, Dell, VCE are all large multinational companies - I see no reason why they shouldn't look to host events in a facility like the one planned.

I just want to see this getting started in the new year as was the initial plan so we can start hearing more about how companies plan on using this.

Is there another development going out there!? Awesome news on the jobs front but where are they planning on putting it!

Also, it's "Intel Security" now. McAfee is no more... kinda ;) EMC & Tyco are out in Mahon too, huge investment in jobs going on there. Tis great.

I mentioned the 3rd city gate before and people were suprised so I'll need to get some solid evidence and post it here

What I've been told is it's going next to the current RCI building where voxpro are - there's a car park there that's been levelled and has a planning permission up outside

A friend working in the area who would know about developments has said that it's a 3rd city gate and it should be larger than the other two sites

Hopefully it's true because it would be great news for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

I mentioned the 3rd city gate before and people were suprised so I'll need to get some solid evidence and post it here

What I've been told is it's going next to the current RCI building where voxpro are - there's a car park there that's been levelled and has a planning permission up outside

A friend working in the area who would know about developments has said that it's a 3rd city gate and it should be larger than the other two sites

I think I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that no more large office development is allowed down around Mahon until there is another link road put in from Mahon to the ring road. Let's be honest it's complete mayhem down there at the moment so don't think it could deal with another large office block not to mind another City Gate.

Michael.. wrote: »
    I think I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that no more large office development is allowed down around Mahon until there is another link road put in from Mahon to the ring road. Let's be honest it's complete mayhem down there at the moment so don't think it could deal with another large office block not to mind another City Gate.
    Yeah, I'll look to confirm the Citygate thing but the guy I heard from would tend to be in the know on these things - haven't read the planning permission on the site but somethings going there anyway as the sites been levelled with a few weeks.

Has the Dunkettle upgrade been pencilled in for a certain date? I was under the impression it would be starting this year? Perhaps somebody could confirm that. From what I've heard it'll be like the Red Cow 2.0

You'd imagine that may help a small bit with traffic to Mahon? Thinking about it, it might help traffic flow there but it's the lights after coming off the link road that cause bottlenecks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Yeah, I'll look to confirm the Citygate thing but the guy I heard from would tend to be in the know on these things - haven't read the planning permission on the site but somethings going there anyway as the sites been levelled with a few weeks.

Has the Dunkettle upgrade been pencilled in for a certain date? I was under the impression it would be starting this year? Perhaps somebody could confirm that. From what I've heard it'll be like the Red Cow 2.0

You'd imagine that may help a small bit with traffic to Mahon? Thinking about it, it might help traffic flow there but it's the lights after coming off the link road that cause bottlenecks

From what I know Cleary developments have brought that site between RCI and the CSO building, they are the company that developed the City Gate complex in Mahon and are in the process of developing the one being constructed behind The Elysian. So fair dues and good luck to them.

You are correct about Dunkettle, it will indeed be something like the Red Cow, as it is now. There is actually a thread about it over in the road section in infrastructure.
    AFAIK the NRA will not allow any further slipways onto the N40 between the Mahon slip road and the tunnel. The existing road has to be upgraded between the CSO and the slip road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

The other site would have been placed beside the major North - South route through the city centre and would have caused untold traffic in the city centre.

It also would have been beside the massive open quays which go unused at night or are you choosing to ignore that fact?

The capacity of which would have been perfect for private buses and cars coming from both north and south of the county to either park, or drop people off and turn back and for taxis to wait after the events.

It would have been close to the existing park and ride drop off point, the bus station and viewable from the proposed new entrance to the train station.
    All of which would clear people off the streets a lot quicker than the single lane streets surrounding the Beamish site.

The streets around the Beamish site are clogged up in the morning and afternoon with a handful of parents dropping off and picking up their kids from the 3 surrounding schools that hold a fraction of the amount of people the event centre will at night.

Say what you want about park and ride and car park opening hours, but people will try and get as close as possible to the event centre and any hope that people will use common sense and avoid doing so is naive at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

It also would have been beside the massive open quays which go unused at night or are you choosing to ignore that fact?

The capacity of which would have been perfect for private buses and cars coming from both north and south of the county to either park, or drop people off and turn back and for taxis to wait after the events.

It would have been close to the existing park and ride drop off point, the bus station and viewable from the proposed new entrance to the train station.
    All of which would clear people off the streets a lot quicker than the single lane streets surrounding the Beamish site.

The streets around the Beamish site are clogged up in the morning and afternoon with a handful of parents dropping off and picking up their kids from the 3 surrounding schools that hold a fraction of the amount of people the event centre will at night.

Say what you want about park and ride and car park opening hours, but people will try and get as close as possible to the event centre and any hope that people will use common sense and avoid doing so is naive at best.

The Beamish location is within walking distance of all the major public transport nodes, inc. the drop off points for P&R, as well as umpteen car parks. It is also within easy reach of all the pubs & restaurants which revellers can relax in before/after events.

Let's face it, the Docklands site is a wasteland,a CC site is far better suited. Having a concrete bowl and a giant car park in the middle of an industrial site is quite unappealing. The planners have made the right call, your car-focused viewpoint belongs to a different era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TINA1984 wrote: »
    ....your car-focused viewpoint.....

He also mentioned the bus station, train station, taxis, park and ride, ...

I'm happy with the chosen site.
    People will get there without too much hassle.
    It's city centre, with plenty of options to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

He also mentioned the bus station, train station, taxis, park and ride, ...

I know he did, but the crux of his point is that event goers who aren't coming from ballybackwards in north Co. Cork can instead trudge along the desolate industrial area back to civilisation just so farmer Jones can return to his badly parked jeep and get out of dodge just that little bit quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I know he did...
    Well then your slant was incorrect.
    but the crux of his point is that event goers who aren't coming from ballybackwards in north Co. Cork can instead trudge along the desolate industrial area back to civilisation just so farmer Jones can return to his badly parked jeep and get out of dodge just that little bit quicker.
    Nowhere did I read anything like that in his stance as he referenced numerous modes of travel.
    You seem to have the hiccup about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Yea, it's the former ma/comm site. Permission already exists for offices there so John Cleary who did City Gate is developing it.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/internetenquiry/rpt_viewApplicDetails.asp?app_num_file=1436201

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Yea, it's the former ma/comm site. Permission already exists for offices there so John Cleary who did City Gate is developing it.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/internetenquiry/rpt_viewApplicDetails.asp?app_num_file=1436201

Plenty of space up there alright for another City Gate sized development. I REALLY hope though that a) this goes ahead (more jobs for Cork!) and b) part of the planning approval involves improving the road network in Mahon. If they can't do anything to improve the traffic/road situation, as nice as it would be to see the Mahon Silicon Valley expand even more, I'd rather see this development go somewhere else in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

there is so much that it could attract. with cork being an IT hub too it should be able to get conferences too. so hopefully the city centre will see benefits.
    Bacchus wrote: »
    Plenty of space up there alright for another City Gate sized development. I REALLY hope though that a) this goes ahead (more jobs for Cork!) and b) part of the planning approval involves improving the road network in Mahon. If they can't do anything to improve the traffic/road situation, as nice as it would be to see the Mahon Silicon Valley expand even more, I'd rather see this development go somewhere else in Cork.

This development could be a very good addition to Cork - at nights/weekends they can have gigs/art house shows, during the daytime they can have business concerts.

There was news just before Christmas that a new high speed fiber optic Europe-USA connection will be routed through Cork. This could attract a lot of IT conferences, there have been problems in other parts of Ireland around getting sufficient connection at large IT conference - remember the Dublin web summit and the WiFi screw-ups? (Not strictly an internet connection but higher rates/faster connection speeds will always help)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see Owen o Callaghan is building offices on the site on Albert quay just down from the jcd offices where he wanted to put the event centre.

Advertisement